iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

End tables update o2/07/16

Started by Bruno of NH, January 21, 2016, 02:50:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruno of NH

Hi Folks
Building some end tables to sell at the farmers market this summer .
Using wood i have left over in the shop .
Legs and stretchers doweled together .
I need to keep the cost down .
They have adjustable feet .
Making some pine and some with fir base and pine tops finished in oil .
Thanks for looking
Bruno

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

beenthere

Nice work, and thanks for the pics showing the joint detail.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

WmFritz

Nice work.
I'll bet you won't have any problem selling all you build.
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

lowpolyjoe

Great project  :)

How did you attach the top to the frame? 

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Bruno of NH

The top is held on with washers that look like an 8
It lets the top move with the seasons
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

21incher

They look great & should sell quickly. The adjustable feet are a great idea. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Andy White

Perfect project! Simple and elegant. All the right joints and attachments. Great job.   BTW    Happy Birthday.               Andy
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

123maxbars

Nice job, would rather have those than the junk at the department stores. Keep up the good work,
Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

WDH

Those look nice and strong. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

yukon cornelius

nice and clean design. are you going to stain them? I think you will do well at the market!
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

Bruno of NH

Yukon
They have 3 coats tung oil
Might try some with linseed oil
Want some thing quick
Finishing eats up a lot of time I'm picky
Bruno

Bruno of NH

hi Folks
My newest tables made of reclaimed western red cedar from an old deck railing i saved . they can be used indoors and out they have linseed oil finish .thanks for looking

Bruno

Ljohnsaw

Very nice.  The first table looked like 3/4" top, but are the rest 5/4 tops?  How tall are these?  It looks like you have the process down - how much time (construction) and what do you expect them to sell for?  I like a nice finish and I know what you mean about eating up your time.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Bruno of NH

Some have 3/4 tops and some have 5/4 tops .
They are 22 inches tall .
The cedar ones took a bit because of ripping and glue work .
But the wood was free .
I'm hoping to get $75.00 per table ?
Bruno

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

lowpolyjoe

More Great stuff!  8)

Love to see something beautiful built out of reclaimed lumber

Good luck at the market

ScottAR

I agree on the under priced part.   This pricing structure seems interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uu_qFDanGPY
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

Kbeitz

Location Location Location ....
$1000.00 a day... He just priced his self right out of a job in my area.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

jueston

i sell some stuff at craft fairs, i mostly do them because my mom does them, and its our bonding activity, i don't make much more then pocket change after i figure in supplies.

i have struggled with pricing from the beginning.

i find that lots of people come to my booth and say i'm under pricing my work, and then they walk away without buying anything. and then other people really like the product, look at the price tag and walk away.

for me, this experience says this: people who weren't going to buy anything want me to raise my price, people who were going to buy want me to lower my price.

but i have found this same experience weather i lower or raise my price, i think the rules of supply and demand are straight forward for multinational corporations. i think for artists and craftsman, people are emotional buyers and price is secondary. most people who walk up to my booth have made a decision about weather they are going to buy before they look at the price. so i price my work higher now. i also don't put that much thought into how much effort went into something, i know that sounds crazy, but the average consumer can't see the amount of time i spend on something, so i instead base it completely on how it looks. if i spent a month making 1 item, and an hour spending the next item, i try to figure out if the consumer can tell the difference, if they can't then i price them both at 1 hour and accept that it was a waste of my time to spend a month making that first thing.

i have sold a few items for really good money, but never on the "open market" like a craft fair or etsy. the things i sell for really good money are custom items that are commissioned by people who have seen my work and value my time as a craftsman. my time would obviously be better spent seeking out these jobs instead of making trinkets to sell at craft fairs, but this is the kind of job i only find once or twice a year.

these are just my observations, since sitting at a booth bored gives you a lot of time to ponder these things. Everyone's experience is different.

lowpolyjoe

Thanks for sharing your experiences Jueston.  I've considered trying to sell some of my stuff (mostly the speaker cabinets i build) but i don't feel like it would be worth the effort.  As you said, I think working on commissions from people who value your work does sound like the best way to go. 

A lot of people at flea markets and craft fairs are looking for super cheap deals (sometimes myself included  :-[)

Dodgy Loner

Quote from: ScottAR on February 07, 2016, 06:41:16 PM
I agree on the under priced part.   This pricing structure seems interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uu_qFDanGPY

This guy focuses way to much on pricing himself. You don't determine what you or your craft are worth, the market does. It's your job to figure out and influence how the market values your work. You can't just say "My day rate is $500/day" and price accordingly. That's a recipe for failure.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

69bronco

$1000 a day  smiley_dizzy smiley_eek_dropjaw Dang, that boy ain't from my neck of the woods!

Ljohnsaw

So if you could cut out 10 nice slabs a day, they are only worth $50-100 depending on your "daily value"?  Hmmm, don't think so.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Thank You Sponsors!