iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

planer placement

Started by Randy88, January 21, 2016, 05:45:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Randy88

Dumbest question ever, how do you guys place your planer in your shop, shed, lean, garage or where ever you have it?     

This has caused some heated debate as of lately, my shed, my lumber, my electric bill to pay, I paid for half the planer and my dad insists on blowing the shavings into the shed we use for a glorified wood storage, all so ran, planer storage building, unheated shed with a cement floor and a sliding door, about 9 feet wide or so.   The shed now is about 18x22 in size, maybe 7 foot sidewalls.       

I'm tired of having the shavings blown into the building and am wanting to put lumber piles that are stacked on pallets right now, pallet and all into the shed with a skid steer for much easier access, and I want the planer to either blow out of the shed, or sideways to the door to keep the shavings near the door and have some fans blow the dust out of the shed.     Didn't think it was a big deal till I moved the planer..................so now we're officially at war over the placement.       

Was wondering how others tackle this job, I hate the dust inside the shed, I'm not into the spotless kind of person, but inches of dust everywhere is a bit ridiculous in my opinion, right now I'd be better off not having a shed, but a lean where the wind could blow would be much better to clean it out once in a while.   I'd even thought about taking the planer out of the shed every time it was used, but haven't figured out how to get this done yet, with ease.   

Just needing idea's so I thought I'd ask, what is your guys approach, layout and how does it work. 

jdtuttle

My planer is between the table saw & PH 260. I have a dust collector next to the side wall & the chips from everything goes outside. When the pile gets too big I load the chips & give them to a local farmer for bedding. I'm looking for a trailer to leave there to eliminate the loading part.
Good luck with your Dad.
Have a great day

petefrom bearswamp

JD I built my chip wagon from an old manure spreader.
A  farmer used to take the chips but is now out of business so I just dump them with my unsold sawdust near the mill.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

beenthere

You need a cyclone and blower to collect and place the dust and shavings where you both want them.. life too short to argue about it. ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Kbeitz

Grizzly Tools sells a mobil base that fits planers. Just roll it to the door and when finished roll it back...
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Bruno of NH

Some people I know have them under a lean to  then cover with a heavy cavas tarp when not in use .
They clean up the shavings out side ,
Bruno
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Randy88

Thanks for the idea's.       

I'm leaning more towards a railing system and put a rolling door on the backside of the shed, open the door, slide the planer out on a compound slide rail, use the planer and when done, slide it back inside, then come along with a skid steer and scoop up the shavings.      There's too much height difference between the shed floor and the ground outside to roll it on casters for some to ever manage it and I'm not always around to move it back and fourth.   Still in the thinking stage.     

Thank You Sponsors!