iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

540a problem

Started by henry co., January 20, 2016, 09:22:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

henry co.

I have a skidder I bought a month ago that I know nothing about.  Seemed good and used it for the first time after checking the fluids and they looked fine.  During use about 6 hours later I started losing functions like transmission the throttle would barely move and winch wouldn't pull. I checked the hydraulic fluid and it was low so I filled it up with about 2 1/4 gallons of hydraulic  fluid and the winch did retract with no weight but still the skidder would not move either direction and the stirring quit next.  What problems could I possibly have since I am not a mechanic.  It has a power shift transmission but upon purchasing the previous owner stated it only worked in even gears which I was aware of and used the even gears for 6 hours and it worked fine until this seems to be some kind of hydraulic fluid.

donny hochstetler

there is a lever that disengages the hydraulic pump should be on the left side rite above the brake pedal make sure its not disengaged make sure you use the john deere atf oil regular hyd. is to thick good luck

henry co.

Do you mean clutch pedal there is a lever right above it my operators manual it says the lever is disconnect lever

teakwood

yeah, he ment clutch pedal.  You have to clean a tube succion screen thats right on the left of the transmission oil filter. left side of the skidder there is a cover with 3 bolts. mine was almost clogged
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

henry co.

Thanks it was the lever for  the hydraulic pump i check tube and change transmission filter.                                   

donny hochstetler

henry co.

yes works like it brand new or like it did when i bought it thanks again a lot of knowledgeable people on this site never logged before when i get trees skidded out i posy so pictures about 300 trees so are big

Decked

I had a'69-'70 540A..quite the machine for that era of technology. that ol' 6 cyl. would lug ! I bought a brand new 540D in 86. I bet I stalled that 4cyl. a thousand times getting used to it :D  but, that D model was definitely Deere's finest moment.

Thank You Sponsors!