iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log splitter build

Started by Andrewd2006, January 20, 2016, 03:48:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrewd2006

New to the forum. Thought I would share my log splitter I am building. I started with an 8x18 beam. It may be a little light but should work for what I do. I purchased a 4.5 x 24 welded cylinder that will put it at 24 tons. I occasionally run into some bigger logs so I added a log lift that's ran by a 2 x 14 cylinder. I also fabricated a log catcher on the end to keep from bending over on those pieces that require a second split.

It will be powered by an electric start 13hp gx390 Honda. The engine was given to me by a friend and it was seized up. I tore it down and had it bored .020 and am currently collecting parts to rebuild it.

It will have a 22gpm pump and I have a 2 spool prince valve to run it. One spool has auto return.

I am building this for fast cycle times and making it easy to use. I have a ton of hours into design and fabrication. I'm hoping to have it completed in about a month.

beenthere

Welcome to the Forestry Forum.

What "fast" cycle times are you striving for? And how do you get fast times with a 4.5 x 24 cylinder?

Very interested in your build, and some pics of it in progress would be great to see.

Click your forum name and it will take you to where you can update your profile with your location, which will help better understand your posts. Expect you like that when reading others' posts as well. ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

thecfarm

Andrew2006,welcome to the forum.
There has been many builds,but I like this one.
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,56449.0.html
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Andrewd2006

With a 22gpm pump and 4.5" cylinder I should have roughly an 8 second cycle time, much faster than the store bought units.

I'm still trying to figure out how to post pictures, I uploaded them to my album but can't seem to get them on my post.

Gearbox

Beenthere this thing will be fast . Mine has a 16 gal on a 4 x 24 and at 1/2 throttle and a detent return . It is as fast on the return as I can turn around and grab another piece out of the cord . Anything faster would have it stoped and waiting for me .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

beenthere

We'll see...

Andrew
Get your album of pics open in a second window, and click on the pic you want when your post is open in the first window.
The pic will enlarge, and directly below the pic is the instruction to copy and paste the pic in your post.

Easy to do. If it doesn't work that way, give a shout back.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Andrewd2006

Andrewd2006

blackfoot griz

Looking good! Just curious, what are the port sizes on your   cylinder? Often on stock cylinders, the ports can be smaller than desired for higher flows/fast cycle times.

Gearbox

Put another reciver on the other end so when splitting you can pull it away from the pile . thats what I did . Looking good so far .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

Andrewd2006

They are 1/2" ports in the cylinder. The actual opening in the ports is about 3/8". I thought about taking it apart and drilling them bigger but I can already see the end of the piston through the port and didn't want to go any bigger. I will see how it performs and go from there. The cylinder only has a 1 3/4" rod. I wanted atleast a 2" but was having a hard time finding one. It is a possible future upgrade.

As far as a receiver on the other end its a little to late. I did think of the idea as I was half way through painting. I did make the hitch removable and should have added an extra receiver at the rear. Lesson learned I guess.

hedgerow

Nice looking splitter. I would weld that receiver on now. You can fix the paint. I wouldn't have another splitter with the hitch on the out feed end. It is nice to leave the splitter hookup when you are splitting for easy moving it around. I had one with receivers on both ends and I never put the hitch on the out feed end unless I will towing it a long distance. 

snowstorm

Quote from: beenthere on January 20, 2016, 03:59:25 PM
Welcome to the Forestry Forum.

What "fast" cycle times are you striving for? And how do you get fast times with a 4.5 x 24 cylinder?

Very interested in your build, and some pics of it in progress would be great to see.

Click your forum name and it will take you to where you can update your profile with your location, which will help better understand your posts. Expect you like that when reading others' posts as well. ;)
fast by running a lot of oil to it

snowstorm

Quote from: Andrewd2006 on January 20, 2016, 10:38:21 PM
They are 1/2" ports in the cylinder. The actual opening in the ports is about 3/8". I thought about taking it apart and drilling them bigger but I can already see the end of the piston through the port and didn't want to go any bigger. I will see how it performs and go from there. The cylinder only has a 1 3/4" rod. I wanted atleast a 2" but was having a hard time finding one. It is a possible future upgrade.

As far as a receiver on the other end its a little to late. I did think of the idea as I was half way through painting. I did make the hitch removable and should have added an extra receiver at the rear. Lesson learned I guess.
drill it?? you gotta be kidding

snowstorm

if you want to speed up the return you could use a regeneration valve. that would take the oil coming from the gland end and add it to the rod end. case used them on there backhoes

snowstorm

i wouldnt do it. you will not gain anything from it

Ford_man

It is a neat build fore sure. You may want to put an extension on the log lift so when it is down there is a flat area on the ground to keep the log from pushing away when you lift it.

Andrewd2006

Quote from: Ford_man on January 22, 2016, 06:52:07 AM
It is a neat build fore sure. You may want to put an extension on the log lift so when it is down there is a flat area on the ground to keep the log from pushing away when you lift it.

It has one. It wasn't welded on in the picture yet because I was waiting on my wheels and tires so I could get it to sit flat on the ground.

Gearbox

I will weigh in again . At 1/2 throttle and auto return even if the wood is corded right next to the splitter. You will not have time to turn around and grab another block befor it get's back and stops . At 16 gallons I never wait on mine . also a 1/2 hose has a 3/8 or less hole in the fitting . small restricions do not affect speed only pressure therefor will cause more heat . [you can put 22 gal thru an 1/8 in hole at 1500 psi but the oil will get hot ]

47sawdust

Andrew,Very nice fab job.What kind of spray equipment do you use?
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Andrewd2006

I know the cycle times will be sufficient for what I want. I built another splitter last fall with a 3.5x30 cylinder and a 16gpm pump and it was faster than I could run it so I'm not to concerned.

Al_Smith

My home built is a 5" Parker-Hannifen super duty,4500 PSI surge cylinder .With a 16 GPM and approx. 2/3 throttle on an 11 HP Briggs it is fast enough to wear me out .My relief is set to approx. 2200psi with the transfer on the two stage at approx. 900 psi .Unless the round has a zillion knots in it ,it seldom shifts to the high pressure side of the pump .

A lot of people shoot for fast cycle time but unless you are superman you are not going to out work a gasoline engine .It doesn't need a break, you will .

Andrewd2006

Quote from: 47sawdust on January 22, 2016, 12:09:24 PM
Andrew,Very nice fab job.What kind of spray equipment do you use?

I used a bostitch hvlp gun with rustoleum paint. I am happy with the results although I know it will eventually get all scratched up.

Andrewd2006

Quote from: Al_Smith on January 23, 2016, 05:20:26 AM
My home built is a 5" Parker-Hannifen super duty,4500 PSI surge cylinder .With a 16 GPM and approx. 2/3 throttle on an 11 HP Briggs it is fast enough to wear me out .My relief is set to approx. 2200psi with the transfer on the two stage at approx. 900 psi .Unless the round has a zillion knots in it ,it seldom shifts to the high pressure side of the pump .

A lot of people shoot for fast cycle time but unless you are superman you are not going to out work a gasoline engine .It doesn't need a break, you will .

I agree. I just want it fast enough that I never have to wait around on it.

Thank You Sponsors!