iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The proof is in the pudding.

Started by customsawyer, January 20, 2016, 03:51:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

customsawyer

As most know I have been running one of my LT70 mills full time custom sawing for a very large hardwood mill in central Ga. I bought the mill new in April of 2006 so it is just shy of 10 years old. Well yesterday it turned 11,000 hours. I have done the crop and rotate but it doesn't seem to be working on my computer.

One thing I never realized was how abrasive saw dust could be. Here is a pic of my sawdust chute right where it is hinged. If you look close you will see it has cut a groove in the metal.

Here is a pic of where the ceramic inserts go right beside the blade guide rollers. I don't use the inserts on this mill so the bolt hasn't been turned in about 8 years but you can see how the sawdust has worn a large part of the bolt away.

All I can say is that after all of the abuse this mill has been through and it still cuts good lumber speaks volumes for these WoodMizer mills.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Nomad

Quote from: customsawyer on January 20, 2016, 03:51:18 AM

Congrats! 8)  Kinda like a birthday, isn't it? ;D  Definitely a noteworthy milestone!
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

MartyParsons

Hello,
   You can also give your self an " Atta a boy" pat on the back. Maintenance is key to keeping all equipment running. Keep up the good work.
Guides are for keeping dull blades cutting straight. I don't think I have ever seen the adjustment bolts wore like that.
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

thecfarm

Does seem odd. Just like water will wear a rock too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

47sawdust

Trees have a lot of grits in them,that's why somes don't eat them.We eat mush,I think it's a close relative.You do know how to get it done,congratulations.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

red

I thought you knew them there cantilever design mills can't cut like a 4 poster . 
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Peter Drouin

The sand coming out with the blade will add to that too.
Good job keeping the 70 going.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Chuck White

That's a huge milestone.

Congratulations!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

sandsawmill14

have you cut a million bd ft yet ???   just kidding ;D congrats on such a mile stone and getting the mill broke in :D :D :D
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

WDH

Jake is working on a billion board feet  :)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Sixacresand

"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

sandsawmill14

yep he saws alot if i ever get a chance i would like to come down and see his setup and yours to wdh if yall dont mind :)
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

LeeB

I'm working on a billion bf too. I think I might get there sometime in my third lifetime.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

drobertson

That's a lot of whacking!  Lord know what all you must have seen in all those logs,,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Ga Mtn Man

Pieces of "double-hard" saw blade teeth can be mighty abrasive. ;D

Congrats on the milestone Jake.  I forget, do you walk with that mill?
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Magicman

Congrats on another milestone Jake.  After over 10,000 hours I have seen similar wear around my sawmill but it all seems to be on ME.   :o   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

LeeB

Lynn, I hope I'm in half as good a shape as you are when I get that many miles on me.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Andries

We can mark that down as a very 'high proof' pudding' Jake.
Hats off to you - sombrero, baseball, toque or cowboy. Well done.
Lets see, 25 to 45 foot walk for each cut . ..  double that for the gig back . . times how many million board feet?
Here's a question . . . hows about a photo of your boots?
Now that might be a good wear indicator too!
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

4x4American

Shoot with that much walking I'd be inclined to make a jolley trolley like @ElectricAl  did, but he doesnt have the axle under the mill either..hmmm
Boy, back in my day..

YellowHammer

That's a lot of wood, Pilgrim!  Congratulations! 
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

scully

Does my ol heart good to see that , them 70's are quite an animal .
I bleed orange  .

Brian C.

What a milestone. Walking, off loading, that is a lot of beer, errr... work.

terrifictimbersllc

When you walk with the mill, on the return, do you turn around partly to see where you're going or not?
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Thank You Sponsors!