iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The proof is in the pudding.

Started by customsawyer, January 20, 2016, 03:51:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

customsawyer

As most know I have been running one of my LT70 mills full time custom sawing for a very large hardwood mill in central Ga. I bought the mill new in April of 2006 so it is just shy of 10 years old. Well yesterday it turned 11,000 hours. I have done the crop and rotate but it doesn't seem to be working on my computer.

One thing I never realized was how abrasive saw dust could be. Here is a pic of my sawdust chute right where it is hinged. If you look close you will see it has cut a groove in the metal.

Here is a pic of where the ceramic inserts go right beside the blade guide rollers. I don't use the inserts on this mill so the bolt hasn't been turned in about 8 years but you can see how the sawdust has worn a large part of the bolt away.

All I can say is that after all of the abuse this mill has been through and it still cuts good lumber speaks volumes for these WoodMizer mills.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Nomad

Quote from: customsawyer on January 20, 2016, 03:51:18 AM

Congrats! 8)  Kinda like a birthday, isn't it? ;D  Definitely a noteworthy milestone!
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

MartyParsons

Hello,
   You can also give your self an " Atta a boy" pat on the back. Maintenance is key to keeping all equipment running. Keep up the good work.
Guides are for keeping dull blades cutting straight. I don't think I have ever seen the adjustment bolts wore like that.
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

thecfarm

Does seem odd. Just like water will wear a rock too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

47sawdust

Trees have a lot of grits in them,that's why somes don't eat them.We eat mush,I think it's a close relative.You do know how to get it done,congratulations.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

red

I thought you knew them there cantilever design mills can't cut like a 4 poster . 
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Peter Drouin

The sand coming out with the blade will add to that too.
Good job keeping the 70 going.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Chuck White

That's a huge milestone.

Congratulations!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

sandsawmill14

have you cut a million bd ft yet ???   just kidding ;D congrats on such a mile stone and getting the mill broke in :D :D :D
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

WDH

Jake is working on a billion board feet  :)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Sixacresand

"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

sandsawmill14

yep he saws alot if i ever get a chance i would like to come down and see his setup and yours to wdh if yall dont mind :)

LeeB

I'm working on a billion bf too. I think I might get there sometime in my third lifetime.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

drobertson

That's a lot of whacking!  Lord know what all you must have seen in all those logs,,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Ga Mtn Man

Pieces of "double-hard" saw blade teeth can be mighty abrasive. ;D

Congrats on the milestone Jake.  I forget, do you walk with that mill?
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Magicman

Congrats on another milestone Jake.  After over 10,000 hours I have seen similar wear around my sawmill but it all seems to be on ME.   :o   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

LeeB

Lynn, I hope I'm in half as good a shape as you are when I get that many miles on me.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Andries

We can mark that down as a very 'high proof' pudding' Jake.
Hats off to you - sombrero, baseball, toque or cowboy. Well done.
Lets see, 25 to 45 foot walk for each cut . ..  double that for the gig back . . times how many million board feet?
Here's a question . . . hows about a photo of your boots?
Now that might be a good wear indicator too!
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

4x4American

Shoot with that much walking I'd be inclined to make a jolley trolley like @ElectricAl  did, but he doesnt have the axle under the mill either..hmmm
Boy, back in my day..

YellowHammer

That's a lot of wood, Pilgrim!  Congratulations! 
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

scully

Does my ol heart good to see that , them 70's are quite an animal .
I bleed orange  .

Brian C.

What a milestone. Walking, off loading, that is a lot of beer, errr... work.

terrifictimbersllc

When you walk with the mill, on the return, do you turn around partly to see where you're going or not?
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Dave Shepard

Quote from: 4x4American on January 20, 2016, 08:19:29 PM
Shoot with that much walking I'd be inclined to make a jolley trolley like @ElectricAl  did, but he doesnt have the axle under the mill either..hmmm

Wireless remote is even better. :)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

4x4American

If ole Jake had a wireless remote he could sit inside his warm pickup and saw lol 

Boy, back in my day..

customsawyer

As I am sawing I am marking the board so the edger man knows where to cut it and what size to run it through the edger. It saves him lots of time and allows us to keep the production up. You have to keep in mind that a lot of the boards that I am dragging back are heavier than the mill can bring back so I have to grab a hold of the control box and help the mill. I run the ¾ hp motor on the feed. I have tried the 1 hp but it is a little slower, you wouldn't notice it much on a 16' cut but on 40' it shows up.
Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on January 21, 2016, 06:35:40 PM
When you walk with the mill, on the return, do you turn around partly to see where you're going or not?
At the start of bringing the board back I am helping the mill so it is full force in reverse. Once I get about half way the mill can handle the board and I turn about half way around to give the hand signals to the edger man.
Marty brought up the maintenance required to keep a mill running and it is true there is a fair bit of that that goes on. I keep a storage building on the sawing site and it has lots of consumable parts on the shelf. This keeps me from having to wait for shipping. I used to buy almost all of my parts from WM as their quality was better than others. In the last couple of years some of those parts are not of the same quality that they used to be so I am having to find other sources. It gets frustrating when you used to get 800-1000 hours out of a part and now are replacing them every 100-200 hours. The cost of the part is one thing but the larger cost for me is the down time to replace the part. When the mill usually produces 1500bf/hour and it takes you 3 hours to replace a part you just replaced last month the blood pressure has a tendency to go up. Keep in mind that most of what I am doing with this mill is beyond what it was designed to do so I go through more parts than most and I understand that but getting a ¼ of the life out of a part I don't understand.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

xlogger

everything is made cheaper I think, parts probably coming from China.
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

customsawyer

xlogger you are correct in that a lot of the parts are coming from China, but my frustration is that I am still being charged the same price as the premium parts that I used to get. All I know for sure is that my operating cost per machine hour has gone up quite a bit.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Weekend_Sawyer

congrats Jake!

I have visited Jake's operation and it is impressive!

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

gmmills

Jake,
    You are right on the money with your opinion of the recent decline in quality of replacement, consumable, parts.  As a fellow full time sawyer I am experiencing some of the same issues. Back in Oct., I ordered some replacement cam follower bearings for my LT70. I always keep at least 4 new in inventory. The rollers I received were from a different manufacturer. These were made by the RCB company.  The quality of these new bearings was appalling. They had at least 0.020 of end play. Know a fellow sawyer that just recently installed new rollers and they didn't last 50 hours. He was not very happy.  The original supplying vendor for these bearings was McGill. These bearings were actually branded with the WM name and part number.  It would be nothing to get as many as 1500 Hrs of service life out of these McGill bearings.
    This Jan. I placed another order which included the 3309 band wheel bearing.  All the previous band wheel bearings that were purchased from WM were made by SKF here in the USA. The bearing I received was made by PEER in China. This bearing, new, has noticeable play while checking it in my hand. Total junk.
     Over the years we all have accepted that there is a certain amount of consumable parts that we have to keep in inventory. As you have previously stated, it is very infuriating to replace a wear part with one of substandard quality. It's truly saddening that the quality of our OEM replacement parts has gone this far down the drain. There is no tool that I am aware of to accurately measure my amount of disgust with this supplementation with these inferior quality parts. 
Custom sawing full-time since 2000. 
WM LT70D62 Remote with Accuset
Sawing since 1995

Ocklawahaboy

Aren't the McGill cam follower bearings available from other sources?  I bought one off of ebay a while back. I use my mill so little I don't order many parts but, if Woodmizer is going cheap, get the good parts from somewhere else. 

4x4American

I know a guy who has some pull at NSK Bearings...hmmmm...

Boy, back in my day..

gmmills

Something to keep in mind if you are going to purchase McGill branded cam follower bearings from an alternative source.  Make sure you purchase the double roller bearing style. This style bearing can be manufactured using either double roller or needle bearings. The roller bearing style is rated at a higher load capacity. This is what we need in our application.   
Sawing since 1995

Ga Mtn Man

gmmills, I know you are a long-time and loyal WM customer so I imagine you've had more than one discussion with the folks at WM about this issue.  What was their response?
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

gmmills

GMM,

The explanation that I received was that they use more than one vendor to supply certain parts,bearings. Apparently an alternative supplying vendor was used when my bearing orders were filled.  >:( >:( >:(  Made sure I voiced my opinion on the quality of said bearings. Really sad when the quality of the part is not evaluated prior to adding this vendor to their alternate list of suppliers. We can only hope that this issue will be looked at by WM and they will upgrade their criteria to a higher quality standard.     
Sawing since 1995

Peter Drouin

Well, Maybe we can look for the vendor with the good parts and buy from them.  :P
A&P saw Mill LLC.

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

hunz

Hmmmm, slightly disturbing to hear of a downgrade in OEM parts from WM. I'm proud to own my orange mill, not so proud of cost cutting tactics like this.

Here's the honest truth of how businesses progress......once the name is established, and a customer base is obtained, profit margins flat line to a steady stream. A good income is never great, so what happens? Let's cut costs with cheaper sourced products, keep the price the same, and pocket some extra coin of part sales now. I've seen the same "anomaly" with one restaurant after the next, start with killer food, only to see the doors close a couple years later, due to this same phenomena. So they sourced from another company conveniently located 12,000 miles away in China, with a lesser quality product?(I'm sure it's not more expensive).

Get real, there are factories producing millions of top notch bearings weekly in the U.S., Germany, Switzerland etc.... I don't think Woodmizer is consuming a manufacturers maximum output, hence the shortage problem. If so, the guy placing orders for inventory stock at Indianapolis, isn't very good at anticipating consumption of parts after 25 years of being in business.......

Hopefully this response will elicit a reply from a Woodmizer representative, as it should; seeing as how more than one Woodmizer owner is somewhat indiffernet to this shift in quality, including me.
Dream as if you'll saw forever; saw as if you'll die today.

2006 Woodmizer LT40D51RA, Husqvarna 372xp, Takeuchi TL140

sandsawmill14

i have had the best luck with bearings from west germany BUT that 16 dollar bearing now cost 52 dollars :o :o but i am not changing one every month either :)

Sparty

On your hours on the 70:
There is a popular theory that suggests that most experts or geniuses (in fields like chess, sports, music) are not necessarily simply naturally talented, they separated themselves from the rest of us by practicing-on average-at least 10,000 hours.  It's called the 10,000 hour rule.

Peter Drouin

In all the years and 3 WM mills I have had. I always got my parts from WM because of the quality and my loyalty to them and their loyalty to me.
And will keep doing that. But they will get an ear full if the parts turn to junk.
So far for me all is good but, I buy parts way ahead. Like years ahead. Like having a new bearing assembly for the drive side. I won't get to the new parts for a while. :D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

customsawyer

Well I learned yesterday that you can get the good bearings from WM if you request them.  :-\
www.thecustomsawyer.com

4x4American

Do you think they're actively ordering them or using up old stock? 
Boy, back in my day..

customsawyer

I don't know. I was on the phone with them yesterday and asked for some shipping labels so I could send back the last order I had received. They asked if I would like the good bearings and I said yes. So new bearings and a shipping label is on its way.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Peter Drouin

Quote from: customsawyer on February 12, 2016, 04:39:05 AM
They asked if I would like the good bearings and I said yes. 

Like going to an auto parts store, Do want the good parts or the cheap junk ones. ::) ::) ::) ::)
This info is not making me happy at all. :-\
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Dave Shepard

Offering lower cost, junk parts is a really bad strategy for WM. If someone buys them, and puts them on their mill and gets poor service, that's going to be a black eye on WM's reputation. :(
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

IMO every bearing sold should be the good one.
It takes a lot of down time to replace some bearings. Down time is $$$$$.

terrifictimbersllc

I had a bad cam follower bearing on my mill for the first time last month (15 years, 3000 hours) so I bought 3 of them and replaced the 3 on top.  Don't know which bearings these are but the rep said when he took the order that they had reduced the price on the bearings.   So now with the discussion in this thread, I take it to mean that maybe I got the cheaper ones.  I didn't know to ask. Anyway they're still rolling. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Peter Drouin

terrifictimbersllc, Do you put down the hrs on the mill when you replace a part?

I'm going to start when I get to new parts like the oil seals I just put in, the brushes I have had for 2 or 3 years and have two new sets in a box.
Going to start a log book. smiley_reading_book
A&P saw Mill LLC.

4x4American

I'm suprised you don't have a log book already Pete!
Boy, back in my day..

Peter Drouin

I never said I was smart. :D :D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: Peter Drouin on February 12, 2016, 05:51:40 PM
terrifictimbersllc, Do you put down the hrs on the mill when you replace a part?

I'm going to start when I get to new parts like the oil seals I just put in, the brushes I have had for 2 or 3 years and have two new sets in a box.
Going to start a log book. smiley_reading_book
Yes hrs and date on whatever gets done.

4x4American

lol well I know you're smarter than you look!  another thing I do as well as keep records of whatever gets done, is write the hrs and date on the part with paint pen or sharpie. 
Boy, back in my day..

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

280 rem

Quote from: Peter Drouin on February 12, 2016, 06:21:10 AM
Quote from: customsawyer on February 12, 2016, 04:39:05 AM
They asked if I would like the good bearings and I said yes. 

Like going to an auto parts store, Do want the good parts or the cheap junk ones. ::) ::) ::) ::)
This info is not making me happy at all. :-\

Shoot I've gotten used parts, parts that didn't work, and the wrong parts often enough I about quit expecting what I needed to be  in the box   :D from WM. Wish I had known if I had a choice
We saw walnut lumber for the same reason Willie Sutton said he robbed banks, "because that's where the money is"

Select 4221E, baker edger, cat 908 loader, Jd 548E, timberjack 230d, hood 7000 loader.

Magicman

So 280 rem, you are stating that you have gotten used parts in a new box, and that you have gotten parts in a box labeled as another part from WM?  If indeed this is true, what was the "rest of the story" when you called and talked with the Customer Service Manager at Wood-Mizer?

280 rem

Yes used parts, some that did not work, in new shipping boxes. Parts that were wrong sizes (maybe for a different size mill?). Often enough we just had to laugh when we opened the box. "Rest of the story" resulting in many "very interesting" conversations with service manager. No longer own the mill is the ending and morale of the story.
We saw walnut lumber for the same reason Willie Sutton said he robbed banks, "because that's where the money is"

Select 4221E, baker edger, cat 908 loader, Jd 548E, timberjack 230d, hood 7000 loader.

Jeff

I highly doubt this story. One of several thousand other owners that know better.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

280 rem

I know there are many many many happy WM owners out there. I know some personally and am friends with a few. I am very happy for them. I am very happy for anyone that owns a WM and it has performed well for them and made them money. I am certain that WM makes a great product and would never say that they don't. "Proof is in the pudding" for sure  so many in use and giving many hours of great service. But a fact is, no company that produces any product in any industry gets it right 100% of the time. That was the reality I was faced with. I so wished I could join the ranks of a happy WM customers. My WM made money but also prevented me from making money at times. I am not saying WM did not try to straighten things out. The customer service manager was even at my operation one time.

isawlogs

Getting a used parts in a sealed WM box really.....
They have a system in place where they use the serial number off your mill for parts, so parts that did not fit, really....

Really..... I really question this hapening, I have been a parts buyer since '93, never, never had a used part or the wrong part ordered ever sent to me. Or... have I ever heard of anybody else having a used part sent to them.
  I just don't believe that this went on, let alone more then once.  ::)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Peter Drouin

I have been with them since 1987 and always got the right new thing 8)
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Chuck White

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Nomad

Truth be told, I did once get a part shipped that wouldn't fit my mill.  Simple mistake, and was fixed immediately.  It did cost me a couple of extra days down time, however.
     But a used part, when it's supposed to be new?  I have a hard time swallowing that.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Dave Shepard

I ordered a key switch for my edger and they mistakenly sent the correct one for my mill. They told me to keep the one for the mill, as it wasn't worth shipping it back. That's the only mistake I've had so far with four different LT40s.

terrifictimbersllc

Woodmizer has always taken my word for it on the phone and immediately shipped out another part when a mistake was made on a handful of occasions over 15 years. Don't recall that it ever caused me any down time.  Most laughable was some clear plastic hose instead of diesel fuel line.  Last time was a fender I received in May but didn't get around to trying to put it on my mill until November, six months after the order.  We did spend a few minutes trying to figure out what happened, but they didn't take me up on my offer to email a photo and there was no discussion of me proving it or sending it back.  They're the best and even the best can make mistakes.  What they do then, is what matters most.

sparks

Wood-Mizer feels strongly about providing quality manufacturing and replacement parts for our products.  When it comes to our vendors, we have high standards regardless where they are located and we do not sole source to ensure parts are readily available. Additionally, a special team of Wood-Mizer employees meet every month to look at a variety of items to make sure we are using, stocking, and selling the best parts at the best price. This team evaluates parts and performs quality tests with the customer in mind. If our customers encounter an issue, we want to hear about it so we can address the problem. For 34 years, we have been and always will be focused on building the best mills that serve our customers and their sawing needs while standing behind our products with an unwavering commitment. Let me know if yo have any issues.   Thanks all.
\"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.\" Abraham Lincoln

Thank You Sponsors!