iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Slow hydraulics, milky fluid

Started by madmari, January 19, 2016, 08:07:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madmari

So, onto the next problem. It never stops......
  I've noticed a continual slowing of hydraulic response on my skidder, which has been when cold. We had some 10 degree highs the past couple days.
  This morning I was letting her warm up and after about a half hour idling noticed milky hyd oil coming from the filler/breather cap at the tank. Is it frozen? Hydraulics worked but are really slow.
  Whats the best way to drain the entire system and replace with new?
I know why dogs stick thier head out the car window.

Autocar

Sounds to me like you have water in your hydrawlic oil . Ive seen milky oil when your have a head gasket or a cracked head when coolent leaks into the engine oil.
Bill

deastman

When I bought my forwarder and got it home the hydraulic oil was milky from having water in it. I ran it and got the hydraulics warm then drained the tank, changed the filter and refilled it with new oil. Problem was that the cylinders still had milky oil in them. I ended up running it and had to drain and refill the hydraulic system another two or three times over the summer to get all the contaminated oil out. The hydraulic tank on your skidder should be a lot smaller and less cylinders than a forwarder so it shouldn't be that bad to change the oil out a couple times to get the milky oil out. Find out how or where the water is entering the hydraulic system so you only have to go thru flushing the system once.  My forwarder was getting water into the hydraulics thru a faulty tank vent
Samsung 130 LCM-3 with Fabtek 4-roller and Cat 554 forwarder, Cat EL 180 excavator, Cat D3C dozer, Cat D7E dozer, '92 Ford LTL 9000 dump, Easy-2-Load 25 Ton tag-a-long, current project under construction: '91 Peterbilt 379 with a Hood 8000 w/extenda-boom loader

North River Energy

Might be sucking air, and/or clogged suction screen.

madmari

PTO shaft to the pump was bad, slipping inside the yoke. Made a new shaft. speeeeeeeedy  hydraulics now; the fluid change didn't happen until after that and actually the fluid wasn't that bad.
I know why dogs stick thier head out the car window.

Thank You Sponsors!