iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

chips

Started by Peter Drouin, January 19, 2016, 05:59:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Drouin

How much would a 100 yard box trailer full of soft wood chips weigh?
[just the chips]
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

brendonv

I've always heard 500lbs per yard as an average.
"Trees live a secret life only revealed to those that climb them"

www.VorioTree.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vorio-Tree-Experts-LLC/598083593556636

Peter Drouin

Thanks for your input brendonv.
A&P saw Mill LLC.

VAMuleskinner

I am not sure of what the factory capacity is but I pull a 45' chip trailer.  We are allowed to gross 90,000 and I am averaging 30 tons of chips.  There is room for a little more in it though.

Peter Drouin

Thanks VAMuleskinner, I knew there would be 1 or 2 guys on here that new about chips and big trucks. :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

thatchipperguy

We run 50ft chip van full of clean chips. Softwood will run around 34-37 tons. We have one 53ft and it averages 3-5 tons more per load. If the chip are whole tree they will weigh more due to the bark.

buzzegray

Roughly, how much would 100 yards or a full load cost delivered to 20 miles away?

Logger RK

We have a couple 45 foot chip vans and weight can very.  If it's green Aspen & to stay under 90,000 we go 2 the bottom of front vent(5 foot from front)then second vent back (about 15 feet from front) we fill it to the top and maybe 2 foot up the back door. And its around 85-90k. Soft wood like Balsum & Pine & a few month old Aspen  we can usually fill to the top of the back door(which is 4 foot high)Usually keep the front the same because it'll b loaded to heavy up front.

Peter Drouin

Thanks guys for the help. Had to get the paperwork done for the state. They want to know how much wood product I put out. Do it every year.
I sold all my chips by the yard, they want it in tons. :D

A&P saw Mill LLC.

Logger RK

Nice chip van & loader. We been thinking about putting 3rd axles on are's. Could haul 98k instead of 90k with tandem. With the added axle weight not sure if it's worth it? We hire trucks 2 pull r vans & they charge the same anyway I would think?Around these parts they measure chips in tons. And different species have conversion to cord. If I could figure out how 2 get my pictures in my album u could c r,one of a kind paint job on r vans. I'm kind of partial to Green & Black. When we got them they were white & said Extra on them. Figured y advertise 4 them. But in the last year or so I c a few other outfits getting there vans looking better. 👍😎

WV Sawmiller

Way out of my experience level but just wondering how hard it would be to weigh a couple of samples. As mentioned by others the type wood and how long cut/dry makes a difference too.

Might be something to add to the reference section here when done. Good luck.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

HiTech

Run a loader for awhile with a roll out bucket. It was 8.5 yd. and could be heaped to 10 yd. The trailers were 110 yd. 11 buckets of clean chips would fill them. I don't think they were that heavy. They were playground chips and pretty dry. The mulch was a lot heavier. 9 buckets of that was a load.

loggah

Peter,Your chips will weigh less then green chips blown in a trailer with a chipper,i regularly got 25-27 tons in a 45' box when chipped the same day as skidded. Piled wood setting ,and drying,especially leafed out wood for even a few days would result in 2 or 3 tons less. Dumped into a open topped trailer even less. I used to load piled chips with my Michigan 275 loader and they fluffed up quite a bit resulting in less weight.
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

Peter Drouin

That's why I sold them by the yard. ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Logger RK

Wondering if others coat the inside of there chip vans with something during cold conditions to keep chips from freezing in?

Thank You Sponsors!