iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Amish/quartz heater

Started by Raider Bill, January 19, 2016, 02:28:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raider Bill

A friend who has been heating with a wood stove in his 24x36 log cabin is getting to the point he no longer is able to handle the wood.
He has a couple of those oil filled space heaters which work "somewhat" but is thinking of buying a quartz infrared heater.
Cabin is in SE Tenn so it doesn't get too cold but still he needs something.
Money is a object so mini splits or anything pricey is out. He's looking at 1 that is supposed to be able to heat 1500 sqft. figuring in his open 12/12 ceiling and he likes it warm.

Anyone know about them?
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

beenthere

Sounds similar to what I bought a while back, and it is just a space heater.. and not an improvement over the oil-filled ones that I have. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Roxie

I have the Eden Pure and one heater (next to the wood stove) is keeping us comfortable.  Don't know what kind of winter temperatures are normal where your friend wants to use one, but it works best when the outside temps are in the twenties. 

If your friend can't use the wood stove because of breathing problems, I have to say that the filters on these heaters keeps dust at an absolute minimum. 

With our unused rooms doors shut, we are heating about 900 sq ft with one unit.  Your friend may need two units for 1500, but our heater is three years old and I haven't looked at the newer models. 

Say when

Holmes

Ive always thought electric is electric no matter how fancy you name it. Each watt equals 3.4 Btu's . A 1500 watt heater puts out the same heat as 15, 100 watt incandescent light bulbs.  Light bulbs are 90%+ efficient at putting out heat. I have told people to turn on all the lights in their houses to get thru a night when the oil burner isn't working. Just show him the lights.
Think like a farmer.

AsaG

When it comes to standard electric space heaters, 1 Kwh=3413 btu/hour. As far as heating the space it doesn't matter if it's quartz, ceramic or just good old open nichrome coils. The infrared quartz heaters will feel warmer due to the infrared radiation heating people and objects more so than open air. The actual heat output is still 3413 btu/hour per Kwh of energy consumed.  More money usually buys a safer and better constructed heater so, in most cases, it's worth the extra money.  We've got an EdenPURE and it works very well in our den. The thermostat holds the temperature fairly stable, the cabinet is metal and well done, and the cord is heavy enough to carry a 1500W load without getting warm.

boilerman101

An electric portable heater is an electric portable heater when it comes to btu output. Most have 2 settings: Low which is 750 watts and High which is 1,500 watts. 1,500 watts creates 5,100 btu. Bottom line you can get 5,100 btu out of a $29.00 heater from the hardware store or 5,100 btu from a $300 Eden Pure of knock off product. Personally I find these "magic heater" claims quite irritating. Just make certain the electric heater has an overheat or tip over safety shut off which most electric heaters do have these days. I would agree that it will take 2 of these heaters to warm the area you described.

Hilltop366

Like others said there is only so many btus in a unit of electricity with resistance heating, the only difference I can see is if a heater has more accurate thermostat and the addition of a circulation fan it could improve comfort at a slightly lower temperature setting over a heater without a fan.

Raider Bill

Thanks for the replies. I'll be talking to him this afternoon and let him know.

Roxie, It's not only the loss of breath but also he hasn't the strength to lift much anymore. Has the crud in his lymph nodes, adrenal glands, a golf ball sized knot behind his tongue and 2 masses on his lungs.
Lost 50 lbs in just a matter of months. Just went through a full course of chemo and radiation but nobody holds much hope any of that will work.

Conversely, he could come back to Florida but wants to spend the rest of his days or at least as many as he can in the cabin we built for him on the Billarosa.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Roxie

I'm so sorry about your friend. 

The heaters I use have a thermostat and blower.  One of the best features they have is no part of the heater becomes hot to the touch.  We like that feature when the grandchildren are visiting.  We also have a grandchild that is allergic to dust and smoke, so super clean performance is a must. 

Say when

gspren

As to the "Amish/quartz heaters" those commercials always amuse me since the Amish wouldn't use an electric heater, they just build the wooden cabinets for us "English" folk. The Amish do use propane space heaters which are quite efficient. If propane is available it is another option.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Roxie

In Bills friends situation a propane heater probably wouldn't be a good option, since he has breathing issues.  Not just because of fumes, but it would remove oxygen from the air in the home. 

EdenPURE sells refurbished models, and here is a link to the model that I use and it's only $127.00.  Two of these would keep your friend very comfy. 

http://www.edenpure.com/edenpure-refurbished-infrared-portable-heater#product_tabs_Specifications
Say when

Thank You Sponsors!