iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Starting a logging company

Started by George19048, January 19, 2016, 12:03:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

George19048

Hello all. I am new to this forum and I am interested in starting my own logging company. I live in eastern Maryland, we have a lot of hardwood timber out here. I love working outdoors and with machinery. Any advice on getting started would be extremely helpful. I was thinking of starting with a skidder, log loader and a couple of chainsaws. But I wanted to know what permits I need or where to find that info at. And I'd also like to know some of the business aspects of it. For example, what insurance do I need for a one maybe 2 man operation. General overall advice would be great. Thank you for your time.

starmac

It will be interesting to see the info you get.
I don't have any answers for you, but have some questions.
Have you worked in the industry, or some segment of it?
Have you done any falling (commercial) before?
Will you be buying and marketing timber, or contract logging for a mill?
Are you self employed now, or have you ever been?
How good of a mechanic are you?

I have been kicking the idea around myself, here are a couple of my thoughts.
It is dangerous to run a one man team.
The cost of wprkmens comp for an employee in this state, pretty much puts it in a no go type of deal, so myself and a couple of more guys are kicking the idea of a partership around.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

George19048

Honestly I haven't worked in the industry or have sold or cut timber commercially. I have a lot of chain saw experience and of cutting trees. I have experience as a mechanic. But I feel this is a dream job for me I have always enjoyed cutting wood and I know alot more goes into it then just the enjoyment.  I have taken classes on business and business management. My friend also wants to start it with me. I just wanted to get my hands on as much advice as I can. There honestly isn't that much on the internet in regards to starting a logging company.

grassfed

Rules and regulations are generally handled  by your state Agency of Natural Resources (ANR) Here is a link to a good place for you to start http://dnr2.maryland.gov/forests/Pages/default.aspx 

I see they have a master logger program. If you follow the training requirements for that program you should get the information that you need.
Mike

grassfed

Here is an easier link to the Master Logger Program http://dnr2.maryland.gov/forests/Pages/programs/mlprogram.aspx

Do that program and that should lead you to the things you need to know.
Mike

mad murdock

If you are serious about it, and it sounds like you are, look into professional associations in your region. A lot of them have conferences or "congress" meetings in the first quarter of the year. When I logged full time in N great lakes region it was the Lake States Logging Congress. Out here in Oregon there is the Associated Loggers of Oregon and Washington, for example. These groups will help you network with pros in the region who may be a good resource for you. The industry will survive and someone has to carry the torch. Hats off to you for having the desire to make a go of it in an often challenging, and difficult sector of the working world. Remember too that if you can hold it in your hand, someone either mined it, farmed it, or logged it ;)
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Plankton

Not sure about Maryland but here in mass you pay 15 dollars and take a test and you have your timber harvester lisence.

I was/am in your shoes cut timber for a few years and bought a skidder a few months ago to work for myself. I've learned that you have to be good with a wrench if your running old equiptment. Honestly it's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when it's going to brake down.

Once you've worked out the kinks on the machine it will probably be much more reliable.

Talk to every logger you know and ask what they ship and to who and call those mills up and get price sheets or quotes on log prices. If you know your market you can sell different species/grades to different mills and make the most money.

Just a few elements of starting a logging business.

George19048

Thank you to all for the advice it much appreciated. If anything else comes up please let me know.

wannaergo

I don't know how it works in your area, but around here a lot of guys start out as subcontractors for the larger companies here. That way, you can concentrate on learning your techniques and honing skills without worrying about trucking or stumpage costs or markets. It's a lot less to tackle as a beginner
2016 Ponsse ergo 8w
2014 Cat 564
Husky 385

donny hochstetler

the first thing I would do is talk to comm .mills see what they r buying establish relations with grade mills and also don't forget the lowgrade separate the low from the high get ready for trucking woes unless you have your own might want to invest in one yourself n remember not all mills are honest keep your eyes open n you will soon learn its not rocket science

George19048

Does anyone have any recommendations on starting equipment? I was thinking of a skidder and a loader with maybe a delimber on it
Thanks.

Loesshillslogging

Make sure you buy a chain saw!  :D Sorry, had to throw that one in!

Be safe, remember the slower I go the faster I get done!

Plankton

I would skip the loader for now, sounds like you'll already have a fairly steep learning curve to get established. I would start with just a skidder one less peice of equiptment to fix/learn how to use efficiantly.

By me there are loads of guys with self loaders who will come out and load trucks for you or haul a load of logs themselves. Also the local mills send there own self loaders here so if your shipping locally you don't even need to worry about that. Not sure what it's like in Maryland but if there's a fair amount of logging around you shouldn't have a problem lining up a loader.

Also if you get a stroke delimber you need a grapple skidder to carry the brush back to the woods, something to consider if you do get a loader.

Jhenderson

Buying a business lic. and diving in is the surest way to fail. Find someone successful in the business and ask for a job. Offer to work for nothing til your worth a day's pay if you have to. You'll be money and time ahead to learn the basics before you have a big payment hanging over your head.  You'll never live long enough to make all the mistakes the guys before you have.

BargeMonkey

Do you know a logger or someone in the wood business already ? I will 2nd the idea of working for someone else first, see what it's about, and he is paying the fuel/repairs/stumpage.
Don't spend every nickel you make, and don't buy the newest and most expensive machine you can find, there is alot of quality stuff out there that isn't beat to death, just don't buy something that is so beat to death that you do nothing but work on it. Some people talk like repairs are a continous thing, good maintenance will save you alot of money in the long run, the minute you fail to keep up on the little stuff your going to have trouble.   I personally think logging without a loader or forwarder is the best way to be un-productive and lose money, again I wouldn't buy a monster. Insurance is the big killer, comp + the rest will eat you alive, especially starting out you will be lucky enough to have gas money to drive to the job and stay afloat. Employees are almost like parasites, avoid doing it till your absolutely forced into it, very few guys will run your stuff decent and at the end of the day/week they get paid and your holding the bag. Find someone who knows your local markets and look around, every region is so different that no opinion is truly 100%, I know there are a couple guys on here from MD, they would be the ones to really talk to.

Thank You Sponsors!