iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anyone useing a dash cam ?

Started by Kbeitz, January 18, 2016, 06:44:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kbeitz

I spend a lot of time watching you tube truck crashes.
I think every truck in Russia has one.
They sell so cheap on E-bay and if your in a crash I think it might pay for it's self.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=truck+crashes

Anyway I bought one. I'm going to give it a try.

The one I bought...

Full HD 1080P 2.7" Car DVR CCTV Dash Camera G-sensor Night Vision Recorder US

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Brian_Weekley

I've always wanted one.  I'm surprised how inexpensive it is and would be interested in your review.  Does it actually work at night?  How long will it record on an 8 GB card?  It truly is amazing how many bad or inconsiderate drivers are out there.  I don't think there's a single trip I make without being dumbfounded by other drivers.   :o  It seems like this would be a good thing to help protect yourself if something happens.
e aho laula

sawguy21

A lot of fleets use them to record crash data and help determine liability. Drivers don't always like them, they are afraid of their own mistakes showing up.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

beenthere

I read that Russia requires them in every vehicle on the road.. not sure how true that is, but it sure provides a lot of YouTube vids.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Dave Shepard

My understanding of the Russian cams is that without them, whoever has more cash to bribe the cop is the one not at fault.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I have to say I have one.
We have one on my state truck but my wife got me one for Christmas for my F-250.

The first week, came up behind a drunk driver ALL OVER the road. Called LE on my radio. They had him stopped in less than 15 minutes. I had video. This guy would have probably hit someone head on or a tree.

I have the UNIDEN 945. I didn't need the one with the GPS...I like them separate.
Mine and I'm sure yours does, can record sound too.
In the right mode, I can turn it off and if someone barely shakes the truck, it will come on.
It has a mode where it watches the road and if you drive to close to the white line on the edge of the road, an alarm will go off. I guess if you're gonna drink and drive...get a UNIDEN 945.
And yes, they work good at night.

Most of the time, nothing to save and just delete the files during the day or in the evening....just takes a second.
If I want to save a file, I don't take the card out...I just take the unit in the house and plug in into the computer and save the files that way.
Its really great on the farm. I know all of us have turned the corner on a farm or logging road and there stands Ol Big Boy or maybe a Turkey as tall as an Ostrich or a Boar the size of a Volkswagen.....well now I have a picture.  :D

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Tom the Sawyer

Kbeitz,

I bought one for documenting my milling jobs.  It is very small (the screen is very difficult for this old guy to see) and does a decent job for $70.  It is full HD, 1.5" screen, accepts up to a 32gb card.  Image is OK (quality can vary, even when it specs as full HD), records about 3:20 on a 32gb micros SD card.  Don't buy less than a class 10 card or it won't keep up. 

A couple of things to consider are that some of these units are designed to run on 12v, not on the 'normal' 5v that cell phones, USB, etc. run on so you'll need a 12v converter to use it with a computer or in the house.  These devices record on short segments.  The first one I bought recorded in 2 minute segments.  If I left it run during a job, each hour of footage was 30 segments - really annoying to watch.  The one I have now records in 10 minute segments.

This one is a 4Sight Dashcam Pony.  I got a GoPro Hero4 Silver for Christmas and will start using it but their battery life is limiting for an all day job, a 32gb card only lasts about 1:15.  When in the case, you use batteries, case doesn't work with a power supply.  Picture quality is much better but it will be used for special situations, a certain log for example.  For all day documentation on the dashcam, 3 - 32gb cards will record over 10 hours.
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Night Time just now. Went to mill to add windshield washer fluid to my water tanks.
Boring but you can leap through it. Shows what its like at night.

https://youtu.be/H81A05QwkyM

Magicman

No dash cam here but thank you David.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

yukon cornelius

I don't use one but I could see some real advantages and maybe some interesting video. Now I want one.
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

4x4American

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on January 18, 2016, 10:45:10 PM
I guess if you're gonna drink and drive...get a UNIDEN 945.

That rhymes  :D
Boy, back in my day..

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: 4x4American on January 18, 2016, 10:58:18 PM
Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on January 18, 2016, 10:45:10 PM
I guess if you're gonna drink and drive...get a UNIDEN 945.

That rhymes  :D

Never noticed it. But I can hum a few bars.  :)

red

You should get in the habit of deleting the file when you pull into the driveway. Or it may be key evidence in your divorce trial.
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Thank You Sponsors!