iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My knees, your knees...

Started by CCC4, January 18, 2016, 08:53:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CCC4

We are weinees here in the durty South today!! We hit snow this morning up in the mountains. The slick roads and major power outages have made it nearly impossible to work today. Can't find gas for the crummy. Heard 5 counties are out of power. Heck we only got an inch in the hills, something else had to have knocked the power out.

An inch of snow where I am logging would put our skidders on their tops. My boss needs to invest in some chains and fast!!

chet

Quote from: CCC4 on January 18, 2016, 08:53:11 AM
We are weinees here in the durty South today!! We hit snow this morning up in the mountains. The slick roads and major power outages have made it nearly impossible to work today. Can't find gas for the crummy. Heard 5 counties are out of power. Heck we only got an inch in the hills, something else had to have knocked the power out.

An inch of snow where I am logging would put our skidders on their tops. My boss needs to invest in some chains and fast!!

Up here an inch of snow is referred to as frost.  ;D
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

WH_Conley

No snow here, well just a dusting. Ground is froze solid. I am not running a dozer as hard as it is froze right now. Cheaper to stay in the house and put wood in the stove.
Bill

LittleJohn

Quote from: Chet on January 18, 2016, 11:59:41 AM

...my grandma's place, in Northen Wisconsin, got 6" of snow the other day, and she said that all those other people on the road where driving crazy, she is in he late 80's and had to get milk from the grocery store

CCC4

Major transmission line at the Norfork Dam went down somehow. We mainly didn't go due to nowhere to buy gas this morning. The further South we drove, the less populated and all the small towns were even out of power. I knew something had to be up with the power, haven't heard of an outage that vast since '09...and there wasn't even weather here to have caused anything.

longtime lurker

Quote from: Chet on January 18, 2016, 11:59:41 AM

Down here a light frost is a once in 10 years weather event, and all work stops till it  gets back over 85oso it's safe to go out.
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

ScottInCabot

Cabot had a slight dusting...  The roads were a mess for my wife, she sat in traffic that can't behave on a nice day never mind a crappy one.  Two-and-half hour trip for a 25min drive....I will never understand why folks need to run into stuff here in the southern states?

Everything has since melted...other then in the spots the sun doesn't get to.
Milled all weekend, so it was nice to be able to just enjoy the day off.  Glad I wasn't included in the 'blackout'...

Scott in Cabot
Timber framing RULES!

ScottAR

Nothing over this way besides it's cold... at least for the south.  I understand west of here got some freezing rain so that coulda' put it to the power lines. 
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

JohnW

Give the South a little credit.  Wet packing snow on the hill side is slick, and tough driving, I don't care where you learned to drive.

timberlinetree

Chains help out a lot on a skidder, pretty much manitory if on hills and snow and even then you can still slide. Gas can be a major problem when power is out. Hope power is on soon for ya all.
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

Brleclaire

Here in the UP in the keweenaw peninsula the lake effect kicked up and some areas got almost 30" in a 12 hour period. Kept the snow plows busy and the snowmobilers and skiers are coming in from all over. For the local folks its just business as usual.

Thank You Sponsors!