iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Poly plastic kilns

Started by Rougespear, January 17, 2016, 11:18:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rougespear

Hi all,

Did a quick search with no hits.  I saw a guy on YouTube wrap his skid of fresh-sawn framing lumber in plastic poly, and place it out in the sun as a solar kiln.  He poked holes in the bottom so the moisture could travel down the inside of the plastic and escape through the bottom.  He claimed it worked... any thoughts?  I have lots of sun and heat during portions of the year around where I am.
Custom built Cook's-style hydraulic bandmill.

beenthere

I don't think it would work as I understand how you described it. 
I may have missed something that he did, or he may be all wet too. ;)

Put up the link to the YouTube video for us to take a look at it.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Rougespear

Custom built Cook's-style hydraulic bandmill.

Dan_Shade

That looks like an experiment in growing mold.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

pineywoods

might sorta work if you live in a dry desert, but would be mould city where I live..
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

beenthere

Might be a reason that he didn't finish the 2nd video he mentioned, and suspect the mold under the plastic wasn't very presentable for that video. I'd wager he doesn't do it that way again. ;)

Would be great if all our bright ideas always turned out right the first time.  ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

longtime lurker

No reason it couldn't be done - I know guys who run hide dryers made of ridgid poly sheet that run on natural convection flows - but not like that dude does it.
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

In the summertime, each cubic foot of air can accept about 1/100 pounds of water before it is saturated.  A small pile of lumber might have 1000 pounds (125 U.S. gallons) or more of water to be evaporated, so we would have to have about 100,000 cubic feet of air pass through the load.  Of course, if we can condense the water in an enclosed unit, that will reduce the need for as much air, but condensation only will occur at 100% RH, which is great for mold growing.  So, if this works without air flow, it would seem that with air flow, the wood would dry much, much faster, as the relative humidity of outside air is so much lower.

With all the trees around this location, I do wonder about the amount of solar input.  Plus, if this is in BC, it is cloudy oftentimes and, being so far north, sunlight is quite limited for six months a year.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Thank You Sponsors!