iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How do I clean this filthy motor?

Started by George Zarifis, January 17, 2016, 06:13:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

George Zarifis

Today I opened the air intake cover on our old Stihl E14 electric saw and what I saw inside is a complete mess.

This saw probably hasn't been cleaned since my dad bought it in 1998. Everything is covered in 1/8" of wood dust mixed with oil and graphite from the brushes. It's the version without an air filter (as opposed to the E 14 C which had a filter). I'm going to order a filter attachment (I was lucky enough to find one brand new)so that the dust stays outside the motor. I'm not sure how to clean this mess. I'm thinking of blowing it with compressed air but I'm worried that it may go deeper into the saw. I would appreciate some recommendations on how to go about this one.
Every man's proble can be solved with a chansaw and high explosives. And a gun. And maybe a screwdriver. A cordless drill wouldn't hurt either.

I think a truck full of tools will do...

Kbeitz

I had the same saw with the same problem.
I just used air and paint thinner.
Dont forget to put a drop of oil back on the bearings when done...

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

4x4American

carb cleaner and compressed air is what id do.  x2 on oiling the bearings afterwards
Boy, back in my day..

George Zarifis

Thanks a lot for the advice. That's exactly what I'll do.
Every man's proble can be solved with a chansaw and high explosives. And a gun. And maybe a screwdriver. A cordless drill wouldn't hurt either.

kantuckid

So carb cleaners OK on that plastic? Most will melt with lacquer thinner and carb cleaner's even "hotter"solvent? 
I vote for a mild paint thinner & some air.

FWIW, that looks like a house wifes vac in there? :D
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

4x4American

I use carb cleaner over brake cleaner because it's designed to not swell up the rubber innards on carbs.
Boy, back in my day..

Duane(Pa)

You guys are nuts!  Humor
; ) There is aerosol cleaner specificly designed for electric motors. Carb cleaner is very risky around plastic and rubber. Read the lable, not the internet...

beenthere

I would tackle that job with a vacuum and a paint brush to take the bulk of it off.
Follow up with Logrite's cleaner/degreaser.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

George Zarifis

Actually, I think have a spray designed for cleaning electrical contacts. Maybe I'll use that...

4x4American

crc makes this stuff electra clean or something thatd prolly work if you were skeered
Boy, back in my day..

Thank You Sponsors!