iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Do you prune a baby oak?

Started by ilzho, January 17, 2016, 03:55:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ilzho

Hello:

I have this 8' baby red oak? in my yard.
I would like to stimulate proper growth of the tree. As you can see from the picture it has some lower branches.
Do you prune oak trees? I'm a newbie and I don't want to destroy it.
Just want to know everyone's thoughts.
Thank you,
David

brendonv

Pruning done on young trees is done to promote proper structure. I can't tell from your pic so i cant make any suggestions based off it.

I can however to suggest removing one, of any two branches that originate from the same spot. Try to train a central leader.  Removing lowers is your call, im however a lover of low branches on mature Trees. 
"Trees live a secret life only revealed to those that climb them"

www.VorioTree.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vorio-Tree-Experts-LLC/598083593556636

Ianab

Like Brendon says , it's your call. If you do nothing the tree will grow into it's "proper" form, for that sort of tree in that location.

So if you leave the lower branches the tree will tend to grow with an "open area" form. That is branches pretty much all the way to the ground as there looks to be nothing nearby to suppress those lower branches. If it's surrounded by other trees, those lower branches will be shaded, and eventually die and fall off naturally leaving a clear lower trunk.

If you intend to keep the lawn and be able to walk around under the tree, then you could lift prune it in stages. Take off a couple of the lowest branches now while the tree is dormant, and the branches are small. The small loss wont harm the tree, and because the wounds caused are small they scar over quickly. Best to prune those trees in the winter when pests and diseases aren't active. Then each year, loose a couple more branches until you have the clearance you want under the tree.

So pruning is usually done to suit the person, what their idea of the ideal tree is, and practicalities like being able to use the clear space under the tree in future years.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

WDH

In young trees, like that oak, leave at least 50% live crown ratio.  That is the length of the live crown (branches with leafs) divided by the total height of the tree. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

mesquite buckeye

I'd remove the lowest whorl of branches this year, then consider the next whorl next winter if the top has increased by a few feet. The other advice offered is good. ;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

ilzho

Not sure what kind of oak it is, but at least the leaves are out. 

WDH

It is a post oak which is in the white oak family. Quercus stellata.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Texas Ranger

Ya beat me to the punch 8) 8) 8), twice
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

mesquite buckeye

Looks more like MO bur oaks. Do they get that far south? :P
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

WDH

Yes, it could be a burr oak, too.  One or the other for sure. 

Thank You Sponsors!