iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A visit to the land of Magic. Magicman that is :o)

Started by Jeff, January 17, 2016, 11:17:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

For the last couple years, Magicman and PatD has been working at getting Tammy and I down to their place and out to the cabin, but we just had not been able to work it out. This year, around pigroast time we started really trying to figure out a way to do it, and just about pulled it off, but some Family stuff on Tammy's side and her work schedule put the skids to our plans. However! For Christmas, Tammy gave me a great present. Her blessings to go ahead and go on down by myself. There would not be a better time, due to my currently having a truck that had a great likelihood of making the trip there and back and the fact that gas prices are currently not so restrictive.

So, the day after New years I started the trip early in the morning to Mississippi. The first day I made it to Memphis by about 7pm and was able to stop and take a brief tour of the Basspro shop at the Memphis Pyramid. What a place! I didn't stay long because it was NOT a good time for that to be due to the Liberty Bowl and all the associated traffic and people were crowded into town, and seems like, in the Pyramid, so, I got back on the highway and drove on down the road a bit to Hernando, Mississippi and spent the night.  The next morning I was up early and on the road.  I had a Garmon on the windshield, my smart phone and google maps running on the dash, and a print out of directions given me by Lynn in a Forum PM.  Turns out, even with all three of those, I had to Call Lynn when I was almost there because of some confusion. I'll let him tell you where that came from! :D

Anyhow, when I got off at the exit I got off on, I was excited because I noticed some awesome looking beautiful trees in bloom! I pulled in this Chinese Buffet place to await Lynn's rescue, and to admire these trees.  Turns out this northern boy had just driven 1100 miles to the south, and first thing was fooled and impressed with PLASTIC TREES!  :D :D

Lynn drove in just in time to see me out in front of the parking lot taking pictures of the plastic trees. It was good to see my friend after not seeing him since Pigroast time. :)  We went from there to Lynn and Pat's home, and then went to meet Marty and his wife and son for lunch. We had a great Lunch and then went back to Lynn's to pack up my truck with supplies for Lynn and I to head to his cabin for a week of hunting and visiting.  That first day I took a video tour of the Magicman Cabin. I can't understand why he ain't living there full time! It is simply awesome.
https://youtu.be/PSuxRpdWSLY

I want to add something from something said in the Video.  Magicman was HEATING UP Shrimp Gumbo. Not making it.  :D Miss Pat had made this and I can tell you unequivocally that I had not enjoyed a meal more than I did her Shrimp Gumbo in recent memory. I needs me some more Gumbo!

More to come later!
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Holmes

It is good to see you had an enjoyable adventure.  :)
Think like a farmer.

sawguy21

It sure is nice to head south and see green this time of year. ;D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

yukon cornelius

I cant think of a better time of year to go south or a better host. That sounds like a great time!
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

sandhills

Well if there could be heaven on earth who else but Lynn could've created it?  I agree, I'd be living there, safe travels and have a great time!

gspren

I have visited at the Magic Cabin and enjoyed Pats cooking and I know that you had to enjoy yourself, wonderful place and hosts.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

POSTON WIDEHEAD

If its possible to take memories to heaven, this part in your life will surely go.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Ljohnsaw

Thanks for the tour!  That is a lot of mounts...  What's up stairs?  I've don't remember, I'm sure MM had it in a post somewhere.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Roxie

Started out watching the video with Cowboy Bob looking over my shoulder, but by the end, he'd leaned me right outta my chair and had drool all over his face looking at that cabin and those mounts! 

What a wonderful tour!   :)
Say when

Andy White

Outstanding video. Almost like I had been there before. Every thing is in it's own place, and always looks good. The mounts keep the haints away.  Jeff done good with that tour. Thanks,      Andy
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

Jeff

Here is another tour for you. A short ride on one of Lynn's trails between hunts.  DISCLAIMER: WE DO REALLY KNOW THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN TOOTHACHE TREES AND HACKBERRY! We just screwed up on this one :D

https://youtu.be/ScZB33lWOIE

WmFritz

~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

drobertson

that looks like a very enjoyable time, nothing like a get away in the middle of winter time south, good friends, good food, and something else, cant think of it, oh yea good memories,,  thanks for sharing, on both yalls parts,,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Magicman

It was a wonderful opportunity for Pat and I to host Jeff for a week's visit.
QuoteI had to Call Lynn when I was almost there because of some confusion. I'll let him tell you where that came from!
Yup, I gave Jeff the wrong Exit#.  I have no idea what I was thinking about so obviously I was not thinking.   :-[

To a large extent, Pat had planned and prepared our meals, so we only had to decide what to eat and heat it up.  We did not have Grits and Jeff only ate one slice of Claxton Fruitcake.  We did have homemade apple pie and pecan cobbler though.

Jeff mentioned Gumbo and as you can see here, his bowl is empty.  He also discovered Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning. 

The Cabin upstairs is arranged a bit differently now, but it is one ~12X24' room with a closet as seen here looking from the stairs.

And seen here looking toward the stairs.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ljohnsaw

Thanks for the tour of the land.  I'm assuming that is all MM's land?  Got a little turned around but, how much land is that?  I like the WIDE, FLAT trails!  Nice.  No wonder there are so many deer mounts!
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Magicman

I own 346 acres but most of the trail ride was on a parcel of land that has been leased by my family since the early 50's.  It was select-cut logged last year.  My land was select-cut logged in 2005.

You did notice that there are no rocks or anything to prevent erosion.  Tree roots are the only thing that holds this land together and trees are constantly giving way and falling.  The water also spreads Walnuts which is why a majority of my Walnut trees are along this creek.  It is also why they too are constantly washing away and falling in.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Jeff, did you get to see the room Okrafarmer slept in?
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Jeff

Not just mounts. There are antlers everywhere! :)  I did not shoot a deer while I was there, but I did see several bucks. We had a detrimental north wind the entire time I was there and the deer were not moving. I didn't go with the goal of shooting a deer however. I went with the goal of having a good time with Lynn and Pat and that was totally accomplished. To those that Hunt, they know that the best part of hunting has nothing to do with killing something.

I did not get a deer, but we were successful in bagging the other quarry we stalked the entire week, minutes before I had to leave for home.  I'll let Lynn tell about this. IT WAS AWESOME!  :D :D :D

A picture from the shed showing just part of the racks out there. :)

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on January 17, 2016, 03:23:56 PM
Jeff, did you get to see the room Okrafarmer slept in?

No idea.

Magicman

Okrafarmer did not go to the Cabin. 

He slept in the guest house here.

SwampDonkey

You have a nice spread Lynn. I hope you get as much time as you can at that nice cabin. Love your woods to.  :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

customsawyer

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

terrifictimbersllc

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Ron Scott

~Ron

Jeff

Here I am making Lynn's champion Cherry Bark Oak looking smaller :)

Thank You Sponsors!