iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Stihl MS170 owner, second bar options

Started by rick carpenter, January 16, 2016, 12:50:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rick carpenter

Hello y'all,

I am a new chainsaw owner, a MS170 w 16" bar. I've had some experience with chainsaws but to call me experienced would be too much. Before anything else, I'm looking to complete the package with safety wear/coupla more chains/etc.

My question is on buying a second 14" bar & chain. As is, my 170 is for feeding a cooker & firepit... not heating the house... and light clean up. First of all, I've read online advice that a second bar & chain would be handy if I buried my stock bar. Second, I do disaster relief work and a tough short bar & chain (like a Duromatic bar & Duro chain) would be the right combo, and this would do well in regular dirty work too. What recommendations do y'all have for the 14" combo that I'd want for the 170? I think the Stihl Duromatic bar starts at 16" & .050" so it's probably not my first choice. Thanks
Suburban Redneck raised up in the Deep South!

sawguy21

Talk to your dealer. The.043 gauge Rollamatic bar that fits your saw is available in 14"
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Texas-Jim

Stihl offers the bar 14 and a 16 for the 170, Im not 100% positive but i do not think they offer a duro chain.
What we do in life echoes through eternity.

luvmexfood

Call Comstock, one of the forum sponsors, and they can hook you up with an Oregon bar and chain at a good price. BTW. For it's size and what it is the 170 is a cutting little booger.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

Thank You Sponsors!