iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bibs - which brand is the most durable?

Started by Ox, January 16, 2016, 09:33:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ox

Like Bibbyman, I wear bibs almost exclusively.  Been wearing Big Smith because it's what's available locally but I've found them fitting different with the same tag numbers and they don't seem to hold up like I want - always ripping and tearing and just seem to get pretty thin quickly.  I'm looking for the most rugged and hardy bibs in your experiences.  This would be in denim, not cotton duck or canvas bibs.  Thanks for any input! - Ox
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

John S

Do a search, I believe Magicman started one a couple of years ago titled "Bibs Anyone?"
2018 LT40HDG38 Wide

yukon cornelius

I thought carhart bibs lasted the longest. I like big smith but it seems the material is thinner than it used to be. I would like to find more pinstriped bibs. They are hard to come by.
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

elk42

OX I wear Round House bibs cant say best or  worst. I buy because they are made in USA.
Machinist Retired, Lt15 WM 25 HP, Stihl 044, Stihl 311, Kubota M2900w/FEL, KUBOTA L4800 w/FEL,
Lincoln Ranger 10,000, stihl 034,

LeeB

I cast my vote for Roundhouse. I buy them from way long link online. Best price I have found on them. Made in USA. Quality is way better than Dickies or Liberty. I quit buying Big Smith years ago.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

LeeB

Sorry about that link. Sometimes they come out kinda screwy for over here. The place is Langston,s Western Wear if the link doesn't work for you.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

mad murdock

Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

starmac

Does filson even make plain old denim bibs?
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

mad murdock

I dont think they make anything denim. Tin or wool. They are the absolute toughest garment makers i have seen, though not for the fsint of heart. They are spendy, as i mentioned before, but IMO worth it.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

luvmexfood

Google "Pointer Brand" bibs. They used to make the pinstripe but not sure if they still do. American made.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

scgargoyle

I used to buy Pointer, but they suddenly went stupid expensive. I now buy Round House. Both brands make hickory stripe, which I'm guessing is what you mean by 'pinstripe'.
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

timberlinetree

Got mine from tsc. Live in them most of the winter, but not this one.
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

Corley5

Filson stuff looks nice and I'm sure is nice but I couldn't justify the price to wear them as work clothes when they'd get trashed .  I feel bad about what becomes of my Carhart wardrobe  ;) ;D
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

mad murdock

I am by no means a Filson agent, but the cost is justified, when you can wear a pair of their tin pants for literally years, and they do not wear out like other clothes.  I have a tin coat, and it is absolutely the best rain garment, and anti brush garment I have ever seen or used.  It will keep me dry no matter what, even in the drenching rains, (does it rain in NW Oregon? ;) ), The only way to ruin a Filson, is to leave it outside day in and day out, and maybe in 10 years it will start to decay.  They live up to their motto "might as well have the best".  if you are fortunate to find some used filson gear in your size, you cant go wrong.  New they do cost, but like anything of utmost quality, they are built to last years, literally.

Ox

Thanks for your info and opinions, guys.

I should have known better and tried a search here first.  It just didn't occur to me.  Probably everything that happens or will happen in my life is on The Forestry Forum somewhere!  What a great place.
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

terrifictimbersllc

i have Filson double tin bibs my wife got me, they're not going to wear out ever.  Just get darker and darker. People ask me if they're leather.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

hopm

To those who wear the Filson bibs.....do you wear them over regular pants or something else under....and can they be washed?

LeeB

At $271 a pair for the Filson bibs I'm afraid I'll have to stick to the Roundhouse. I think I can probably get just as much life out of 8 pairs on Roundhouse as I can 1 pair of Filson.  :o :o

Ox

Those tin bibs intrigue me but I think I heard a mighty "clap" sound come from behind me when I just saw the price.  :o

I think I need a new chair cushion as well.

I would still love to just see some of that tin material.  Some research is in order.

Raider Bill

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

hopm

Quote from: Ox on January 18, 2016, 10:40:40 AM
Those tin bibs intrigue me
I would still love to just see some of that tin material.  Some research is in order.
[/quote
Tin cloth is amazing but the best I could ever do on it was a hat.....which has lasted awhile.....Can't remember where I read it but there are some of the tin cloth coats that have lasted multiple generations. I just cant imagine being able to wear tin cloth without something under it would be a lot like Mule Clothing....last forever but you hate wearing it for the first 7 or 8 years.

Brian_Weekley

I'm guessing these aren't the kind of bibs you're talking about.  But man, these camo, lycra babies would be great for aerodynamic operation of peddle-powered saw mills!   :D

e aho laula

beenthere

They look to be some form of torture ... just sayin. Are they for real?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

mad murdock

Quote from: hopm on January 17, 2016, 08:58:12 PM
To those who wear the Filson bibs.....do you wear them over regular pants or something else under....and can they be washed?
My tin coat is wool lined in a few spots, not sure on the pants or the bibs.  You really don't need to wash them, unless you really want to, but then a re-treat would be required to make them impervious again. I am not really sure how you would wash them, probably a special procedure.  After a short bit of use, they form fit, and are easy to move and work while wearing. Weather proof and for brush busting, the worst briars will not stick to them or penetrate.  Like it says, they are like wearing armor.

Thank You Sponsors!