iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

4-53 detroit circulating heater

Started by 62oliver, January 15, 2016, 06:14:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

62oliver

I want to put a circulating or a block heater in my 4-53. It has the "spit swapper" hoses as you can see in first pic.
  Which way is the water supposed to circulate? Is that hose a necessary part of the cooling system if you don't use them to pre-heat?
If I go with a block heater would it go in block where hose goes in as shown in the 2nd pic?
Thanks

Husqvarna 266, Case 90xt, JD310C, TJ240E, 02 Duramax

timberlinetree

On the 353 we put it on the lower radiator hose, but there is an eazyer one that goes right into the biock.
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

David-L

Yes, the oval shap plate on the 2nd pic is where it goes. I have had the 750 Watt and the 1000 watt. The 1000 needs the element bent just a bit as not to touch the block casting when installed. The Kats # for the 1000 is 30301 Diesel heater 1000W-120V. Nice jack. I have a 700W in a 353 and if its say 10 degrees F it needs about 1/2 hr to start without either.Good luck.
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

David-L

Oh ya, that looks like a clean motor, nice and tight is it.
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

62oliver

Quote from: David-L on January 15, 2016, 07:18:17 AM
Oh ya, that looks like a clean motor, nice and tight is it.

ya it seems pretty good, put maybe 40 hours on it, engine oil just getting to add mark, i'm ok with that

OntarioAl

62oliver
1/ The hot water enters through the side plate and exits through a similar plate in the on the back of the head, this sets up a convectional flow through the block. It is exactly how I have mine set up on a 3-53.
The hoses are coupled together to keep the connectors clean, in this type of set up they are not integral part of the cooling system.
2/ If you are going the electric route take a look at the oil pan some (mine) came with a provision for an engine oil heater.
Hope this helps
Al
Al Raman

tantoy

1968 Garrett 20 Skidder
1991 Ford 1920 Tractor/Loader
2000 Takeuchi tb135 Excavator
Stihl 020, 041 Super, 084
Husqvarna 61, 181SE, 357XP

starmac

I may be wrong, but the picture shown is what we call a block heater. What I call a circulating heater installs in a hose, and you should be able to install it riegt in the same hose as the spit swapper.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

62oliver

I'm picking up a block heater tomorrow for it.
Al, what do you mean by provision for oil heater?

OntarioAl

Some came with the oil pan that had a provision (read threaded port) for a low wattage electrical element. Mine was so equipped.
I have never used it, if I remember correctly it was located low on the back side of the oil pan.
Al
Al Raman

dgdrls

Quote from: OntarioAl on January 15, 2016, 10:40:15 PM
Some came with the oil pan that had a provision (read threaded port) for a low wattage electrical element. Mine was so equipped.
I have never used it, if I remember correctly it was located low on the back side of the oil pan.
Al

We have added oil heaters to the compressors we have in many of our hydro-stations
same the same way.

Or you can also add a silicon heat pad that is
placed directly on the oil pan, same idea as an electric blanket.
I plan on adding one to my little JD 650

Dan

Corley5

I bought a circulating heater for my 3-53 but after looking things over when I was ready to install it I decided to exchange it for a 1,000 watt element heater.  It bolts in place of the plate on the side of the block.  It's easier  ;) :) 
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Brleclaire

Wouldn't the block heater be more efficient than the circulating heater since it's right in the water jacket

62oliver

I picked up a 1000 watt block heater, will make a cleaner install I think.

Quote from: OntarioAl on January 15, 2016, 10:40:15 PM
Al

I had a quick look yesterday and see a bung in the side of the oil pan with a maybe 3/4" plug in it, close to top of pan tho.
Was looking at immersion heating elements for in oil but it says them are for KEEPING oil warm, not for warming cold oil as it can damage fluid and cause element to fail.

"Note: To prevent potential damage to heater and fluid, oil pan heaters should only be used to keep warm oil warm. Do not use with cold oil."  (That is from their catalog)

Maybe I'll look at a magnetic heater or something, or maybe I won't worry about it,  :D

timberlinetree

Wish I knew about the block element heater. The lower rat hose heater was a pain to install.
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

Corley5

I could have made a fairly clean install with the circulating heater but it would have required drilling holes in the plates on the back of the head and the side of the block and welding in pipe nipples for hose barbs.  That looked to be the best way and would have been the cleanest.  This way I just take off the plate on the side of the block put it in the toolbox and bolt the new heater in place and refill with anti-freeze.  Kat's numbers are 30305 for the 750 watt and 30301 for the 1,000 watt.  I ordered mine through Car Quest.

Ed_K

When installing the heater, make sure you have a wrench on the out side of the element (you'll see two flats) to hold it in position,and tighten the nut. You can't get it tight enough just turning the 1 1/8 nut, it'll turn the element and bend the element inside. BTDT.
Ed K

62oliver

Got block heater installed

And plugged fitting on back end of head, where pre-heat hose went

Wife is picking up new thermostat in town today. Temp gauge would only go up to about 165 degrees , it had a 180 in it, but I will change it anyway, maybe it's just the gauge, we'll see. Maybe tomorrow I'll see how well this will work.

Logger RK

I'm having a problem getting my cab heater to circulate in my 453 in a  C7D TF. I have it hooked like my son's Hahn & his puts out heat at a idle 10 minutes after start up. My heaters not plugged or line either. I'm wondering if the radiator cap is bad or not enough lbs? His heater is about the same if not higher above the motor then mine. Being a supposedly rebuilt motor I would think its not the water pump? Seems to cool the motor fine. If I take the heater line off heater & lift above a foot or two of the motor you have 2 rev it a good amount for coolant two come out open hose.Anyone know how many lbs the cap is suppose 2 b?

Logger RK

Well it was not the radiator cap. Change water pump next. Maybe rebuilt has different meaning in different cultures? Didn't think there was a difference between Wis & Minn? Guess a good thing it's not a normal cold winter. I clicked on bottom left to find more emoji's. Took 5 minutes to get back to this place. So I'll stick to the ones above the screen ;D  8)

jeep534

Logger RK

To update my heater problem from a year ago,it turned out they had put a left hand water pump that should've been a right hand one. Good thing I installed a electric pump till I figured it out. But when I was being told that couldn't be the problem,it took a little longer for me to get it right. Now at a idle in 5 minutes the heaters warm. I compared water pumps on some of my other Deitroit's. I did get a apology from the Co manager on all the mistakes that were made on that motor.

Corley5

I'm changing the water pump on my Franklin's 3-53.  The pump is on the left side of the engine when facing the front of the engine.  That's opposite of the 3-53 in my Dyna Hoe.  After I got it off I took it to Car Quest to match it to the pictures in their book ;) ;D  The nearest one in their system was in Georgia.  They've got it now.  I haven't picked it up yet.  I've got the radiator out and at the shop being fixed.  It had a leak. The top tank had a crack in it which was no big deal for them to fix but the cores are getting pretty thin.  We're hoping it can be salvaged.  Recoring it won't be cheap :(  Hoping to have everything back to put it together Wednesday which looks to be our warmest day in the 7 day forecast.  Nothing ever breaks when the weather is mild  ;) ;D  But this happened when I had the machine at home cleaning up what was left of the old hay barn and back filling the trench for the sap/vacuum/water/electric lines to the woods.  It's nice to have it at the garage to work on it instead of the woods 8)
  I used the block heater for the first time since I installed it last winter :)  Worked like a charm.  The water pump seals/bearings failed later that day  ::) :)     

Thank You Sponsors!