iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ash in kiln

Started by xlogger, January 15, 2016, 06:10:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xlogger

I've got some 2" ash slabs in my solar kiln that showing around 10%, a few days ago someone look at them and though that some small holes (threw the bark edge) in them was cause by what killing ash trees I've heard a little about. I was hoping that my DH kiln would be ready by now but looks like a few more weeks or more and I would heat up my boards past 135° for a day or two to kill off anything. Is it safe to sell this slabs now or wait till I heat them up? Also I'm not sure this guy knows what he talking about.
update:
I just read a little about the Emerald Ash Borer, I'll look more closer later today.
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Al_Smith

The EAB only gets in the sap wood .Doesn't hurt the lumber one bit .

Fact I've got a goodly amount of wood work in my house made from EAB killed ash that was only air dried a couple of years .

xlogger

I'm in the inflected area or very close. Wonder how long the EAB stays in wood after the tree is cut or sitting in a solar kiln? As soon as I get my new kiln going I plan on heat treating the lumber and slabs leaving my property.
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

4x4American

Thought that they are gone once the bark is, could be wrong.
Boy, back in my day..

xlogger

slabs with live edge still has bark

4x4American

You can peel the bark off with a bark spud if you care to take the time.
Boy, back in my day..

Thank You Sponsors!