iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Major issue with my woodmizer sharpener!

Started by MuklukAnnie, January 15, 2016, 02:20:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MuklukAnnie

So i have been sharpening blades for a local mill for the last 4 years now and I have never had issues like I am right now.

I am grinding any where from 50 - 80 blades a month and now all of a sudden when the grinder is operating it is making this huge snapping sound like it is snapping off teeth even though it isn't. Honestly when it happens it scares the hell out of me and basically I am almost hitting the floor.

So what I have tried to fix this issue is reset all off my settings and start again by gradually lowering the wheel down towards the blade. It seems fine for a few teeth then it is hitting some teeth not hitting other teeth then bam the snapping from hell then really hard grinding on the next teeth right after. I can't really say that I have witnessed what it is doing as I am not going to have the guard up to watch it up close and personal as now I can honestly say I don't trust it.

I am at a loss. My new best friend "Gary" from Wood Mizer has never heard of anything like this either. Even the head office doesn't have a clue.

Any ideas or thoughts would sure be appreciated. also any thought on the Timberking sharpener would be appreciated.

Cheers!
Mukluk Annie

LeeB

Look at the pin in the fork that advances the blade. It may be worn out and have a groove in it or even split through. Which type sharpener do you have? The drag type or the newer CBN type? Try running it without a blade in it so you can watch it with the guard up and see if it is the advance or the grinder itself. watch the advance fork and see if it is drawing back too far and fallin off the end before returning for the push stroke or catching in some other way. If you're worried about the wheel, take it off. Wear safety glasses and if you have one, a face shield. Check the tension blocks that the blade slides through and make sure they aren't totally gunked up and causing the blade to be 'grabby'. Look at the pins the blocks float on too to make sure there isn't a grove cut in one of them. Just a few ideas off the top of my head. I haven't used a WM sharpener in quite a while. They are pretty simple critters though and it shouldn't take too much to find the problem. If you are using a CBN type set up I can't help you because I never used one but a lot of the suggestions would be the same for it too.

'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Chuck White

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

terrifictimbersllc

Agree, find a way to safely see exactly what is causing the noise. Use a flashlight.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

ladylake

Quote from: LeeB on January 15, 2016, 05:05:27 AM
Look at the pin in the fork that advances the blade. It may be worn out and have a groove in it or even split through. Which type sharpener do you have? The drag type or the newer CBN type? Try running it without a blade in it so you can watch it with the guard up and see if it is the advance or the grinder itself. watch the advance fork and see if it is drawing back too far and fallin off the end before returning for the push stroke or catching in some other way. If you're worried about the wheel, take it off. Wear safety glasses and if you have one, a face shield. Check the tension blocks that the blade slides through and make sure they aren't totally gunked up and causing the blade to be 'grabby'. Look at the pins the blocks float on too to make sure there isn't a grove cut in one of them. Just a few ideas off the top of my head. I haven't used a WM sharpener in quite a while. They are pretty simple critters though and it shouldn't take too much to find the problem. If you are using a CBN type set up I can't help you because I never used one but a lot of the suggestions would be the same for it too.

Good advice on the push pin, I've has to replace a couple of them and the worn groove will catch the blade on the way back.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

petefrom bearswamp

Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

pineywoods

Woodmizer makes 3 different sharpeners. It would help if we knew which one you are having problems with.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Percy

Just stabbin in the dark here.....The sensor that the magnet operates to shut the sharpener down can/has made my sharpener go batpoop crazy. Also could be the gear part of the gear motor failing. When that happened to mine, I was scared too. THe thing was almost jumping off the floor....
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Stephen1

Does it do it to every blade? I have had bad teeth (from hitting nails) not allowing a good push by the fork, which then allows the grinding wheel to drop, makes a H##l of a noise.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Will_Johnson

Of course I love TimberKing equipment in general and I think highly of our sharpening equipment!

But I would also say that if the Woodmizer sharpener has been serving you well for four years that says a lot about the quality of what they have made. I would suggest you should take the time to work with the good folks at Woodmizer to address your problems and get back up and running!

PineNut

I did have a woodmizer sharpener that would catch on the weld and destroy a tooth. The pin had a grove worn in and the weld was just enough different that the grove in the pin would catch on it. Replacing the pin fixed the problem.

woodmills1

Check all of the bolts to see if one loosened up.  One of my pusher bolts was loose and it was the devil till I saw it and tightened.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Peter Drouin

You have the blade set to far ahead of the cbn when it hits. Adjust the blade holder back a little. And clean out where the blade is clamped. The pitch will build and you will have a loose blade.
Once you find the sweet spot your good. ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

MuklukAnnie

So I want to thank everyone for your replies!

So on to the story...

(The sharpener that I am using is so old the model number is worn off but it is one of the WM that is on a tripod stand if that helps.)

Well I messed with it and messed with it and finally threw it out the window. On a happy note though because I was so far behind I decide to try using my Dremel and sharpen that way. Low and behold it works like a Darn! I am still able to sharpen and set 5 an hour and no bluing of the teeth. The guys really like them as they seem to last longer too. I have started punch marking them so that I can see how many sharpenings I am getting out of the blades now.

i am still behind but that's ok. I can see light at the end of the tunnel. On a really positive note... No more oil!

Jeff

I'd not get to excited. You are not cleaning up the gullets with that dremel, and I suspect you will soon pay the price of broken bands in your near future rather than a dull blade you could then resharpen.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Kbeitz

I only use a dermel and I sharpen in the gullet.
Works for me...

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

MuklukAnnie

This is how I am doing mine also Kbeitz. Can I ask which stone you are using and also how many blades you can do with it?

Cutting Edge

Knowing what model it is helps: You have an LTAGA

Quote from: Percy on January 15, 2016, 10:53:20 AM
Also could be the gear part of the gear motor failing.

x2  Sounds like a tooth or maybe three in the gear reduction wore out.    Parts are still available and it is a pretty easy repair.  Good opportunity to give it all a good once-over and get another 20 yrs. of service out of it.

Quote from: Jeff on January 18, 2016, 07:34:40 PM
I'd not get to excited. You are not cleaning up the gullets with that dremel, and I suspect you will soon pay the price of broken bands in your near future rather than a dull blade you could then resharpen.

Along with numerous cut quality issues due to inconsistent tooth height, hook angle, etc... before premature blade breakage.  :-\

"Winning an argument isn't everything, as long as you are heard and understood" - W.S.

Cutting Edge Saw Service, LLC -
- Sharpening Services
- Portable/Custom Milling and Slabbing
- On-Site Sawmill Maintenance/Repair Services

Factory Direct Kasco WoodMaxx Blades
Ph- (304) 878-3343

Jeff

Kbeitz, I doubt if there is one single handful of other members on here out of several thousand that recommends your methods so, MuklukAnnie, be aware of that. It will mean the short life of your bands or worse when a band breaks because of the method.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

KirkD

I got an LTAGA with the 89 LT40 I just bought that I am restoring and Woodmizer was able to get me the manual for it. From what I have seen most all the parts are still available. Call them they will email you the manual or I can if that is ok to do?
Wood-mizer LT40HD-G24 Year 1989

Kbeitz

I buy the stones on E-bay real cheap. I use the 5/16th size.
I can sharpen blades about 5 times per stone. Then i save the stone for something else.
I cant see why useing a dremal would be different from any other grinder.
A turning grind stone is a turning grind stone on a machine or in a dremel.
I own a machine shop and I sharpen all my tools.
Planner blades, drill bits . mill bits. lathe bit etc. so I'm not a beginner at sharping things.
I have not had a problem with blade brakage.
I dont get anything hot and I sharpen very lightly.
But to each his own . It might not work for everybody.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

MuklukAnnie

Quote from: Jeff on January 18, 2016, 07:34:40 PM

I will definitely take note of that Jeff. All I need right now is just to get something going till I figure out which way I am going to go. (I have 40 blades sitting out in my shop to get done asap.)

I really like the Cat Claw sharpener but with the exchange right now it's going to take some saving before I can purchase it.

As for blade breakage the guys out at the mill are really hard on blades. I was only able to sharpen a blade 3 time maybe 4 before they were snapping.

pineywoods

That ole ltaga sharpener is a fairly simple device, but it has a couple of gotcha's that will drive you to drink.
1 the push fork has a small pin across it that actually contacts the tooth. A slot will wear on the bottom side where you can't see it. That slot will sometimes hang on the tip of a tooth during the back stroke and pull the blade backwards right where the rock will descend right on top of a tooth.
punch the pin out and replace it with a new roll pin. 15 cent item at any auto parts store..

2. the two metal blocks that form the blade clamp will build up crud between them and fail to hold the blade stationary during the grinding phase. Try this..Mount a blade and tighten the springs on the clamp. Grab the blade with your fingers and try to pull it in either direction. If you can move the blade, the clamp is not doing it's job. Pull the clamp apart and clean off the crud between them...
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

MuklukAnnie

Quote from: KirkD on January 18, 2016, 08:32:59 PM
I got an LTAGA with the 89 LT40 I just bought that I am restoring and Woodmizer was able to get me the manual for it. From what I have seen most all the parts are still available. Call them they will email you the manual or I can if that is ok to do?

I really appreciate the offer but honestly I am just done with the oil grinder. I know you can used water but since I am in my shop and only have wood heat, the water would just freeze overnight.

schmism

Quote from: Kbeitz on January 18, 2016, 08:37:26 PM
I only use a dermel and I sharpen in the gullet.

I cant see why useing a dremal would be different from any other grinder.
A turning grind stone is a turning grind stone on a machine or in a dremel.

This is the sort of typical statement i would expect of someone who knows nothing of how a "real" blade sharpeing system performs.

you have 2 basic types of "full profile" sharpeners.

1) uses a thin disk that follows a cam profile of movement.  the entire profile is thus reground each shapening.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmvL011DTpA
(i vaguely remember the owner of that vid being a forum member)

2) the other uses a diamond coated steel wheel that is ground to the correct shape of the full gullet and backside of tooth.  This single profile grinder is dropped down in one "vertical" motion to grind the entire profile at once.

in action
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDXdkY1dj6Q

either method grinds the entire "profile" of the "tooth".   

Technically speaking the gullet of the blade does no cutting.  It simply provides physical space for sawdust chips to accumulate while the blade is still in the cut.

The tip is that does the cutting.   This is why inconsistent tip height and tooth set will make for very poor blade performance (having nothing to do with the gullet)  (also why carbide inserts are only brased on the tip and have nothing to do with the gullet)

If you dont like my expliation,  here is a great vid telling you everything you need to know.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bmws4hDGgg
039 Stihl 010AV  NH TC33D FEL, with toys

Thank You Sponsors!