iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Got to meet another Weigh cop today.

Started by Woodhauler, January 14, 2016, 07:21:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodhauler

Met him on the road and seen the tell tail brake lights come on! I was already pulled over and stopped when he came roaring back after me! He came up to my truck asked how business was, I told him slow. Asked if woods was froze, I told him no. Asked if I was heavy,told him no. I think I was ok on weight. He asked if guys was going to survive these mill closing and I told him lots of guys are hurting. He also asked if anyone was hauling heavy. I said people couldn't afford to. He told me to have a nice day. Good first meeting with him.
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

Ed_K

That was a good meeting  8) , down here they put you on the scale anyways, just for GP  >:( .
Ed K

Gearbox

Clean truck well kept . You had your stop for this winter .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

jonesjco

That's the way it used to be here years ago before they started policing for profit now they are just looking for money, all the  old guys are retired and the new ones want to be super cop and save the world doesn't matter how many people they put out of business. I miss the old days when we all knew each other by our first names and they would just stop you to chat and maybe warn you about the load getting a little too close to the top of the stakes if you kept the load down they wouldn't bother you much
Gearmatic: 9 little letters that spell big aggravation

starmac

So far this year, I have had to go across the scales every load, which downright sucks.
Most of the guys are pretty nice though, and they do allow us up to 1000 pounds over before we get a fine.
Up to 500 pounds we get a verbal warning, over 500 but less than a 1000, we get wrote up but no fine. They do have to look at my overlength permit every load though, I just laugh and tell them they should have my permit number memoried. lol
They have told us that they are going to start enforcing a law, where we have to have a full light bar on the end of the logs after dark, being as we get as low as 4 hours in the winter, that will be a pain, but the days are lengthening up some now, plus I start on a different sale in the morning where I DON"T pass the scales.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

redprospector

It's been 30 years, but we used to call it "paying our dues".
We sometimes (generally) hauled a little heavy, and once or twice a month we'd get pulled over and get a ticket for over gross. If you were nice, and the officer wasn't having a bad day, he wouldn't go over the truck too hard, and it would just cost about $125 for your "dues". Then they got serious about things, and took the fun/profit out of trucking for me and a lot of others.
Sometimes I miss trucking...but it's a good miss.  ;D
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

starmac

Well I have paid my share of dues, lol Louisiana was my favorite state to get caught overloaded, a penny a pound and no paperwork, just hand them cash. Also you were good to go for 24 hours before you could be fined again, it didn't matter how many more scales you had to go through. I was always out of state before that.
Colorado was the one I hated worst, 20 pounds over on any axle and you were fines and either fixed it or unloaded it before you left the scales.

redprospector

Yep, I could tell a few horror stories about Colorado.  :o
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

LeeB

It wasn't a weight cop but I got pulled over for speeding once many years ago while coming home from offshore. The officer asked me if I knew why and I told yes, for speeding. He asked if I knew how fast I was going and I told him no but that I was pretty sure it more than 70. The speed limit there was 50. He asked me if there was an emergency and I said no but that I had been offshore for several weeks, which was the truth, and that I was afraid a certain part of me was going to get tangled up in the steering wheel if I didn't get home soon to take care of it. He busted out laughing and said that was the best excuse he had ever heard and let me go with a warning ticket.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

timberlinetree

Nice that he was concerned about the forest industry in Maine.
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

Offthebeatenpath

I like hearing stories like this. A testament to both the cop and to you Woodhauler. Being polite with nothing to hide does in fact get you somewhere sometimes.
1985 JD 440D, ASV tracked skid steer w/ winch, Fecon grapple, & various attachments, Hitachi CG-30 tracked dump truck, CanyCom S25 crawler carrier, Volvo EC35C mini-ex, Kubota 018-4 mini-ex, Cormidi 100 self loading tracked dumper, various other little trail building machines and tools...

Grizzly

I haven't trucked through every state but I've hit about 40 of them plus all 10 provinces. One thing I've found common in every area I've been in? Attitude is EVERYTHING. Those boys are doing their job and we're doing ours and they conflict a little. But I remember the days of driving before they were around and I've had enough of driving dangerous equipment and not being able to tell the boss NO. I've enjoyed many a good chat with DOT's around North America and if I ever get to go back on the road I expect myself to do it all over again. And yep, sometimes you don't have your program put together the way you should and "you pay your dues". Good people everywhere. And like someone mentioned; he was interested in the industry as a whole. Good thinker. Sounds to me like Woodhauler handled things right. Well done.

Quote from: Offthebeatenpath on January 15, 2016, 10:15:34 AM
I like hearing stories like this. A testament to both the cop and to you Woodhauler. Being polite with nothing to hide does in fact get you somewhere sometimes.

Offthebeatenpath got that typed while I was and he sure put things into less words than I did!
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

Autocar

Here a week or so ago P.U.C.O. were like mosquitos they were working the four lane and I even met one on a county road, pretty lucky this past year.
Bill

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: starmac on January 14, 2016, 09:20:14 PM
So far this year, I have had to go across the scales every load, which downright sucks.
Most of the guys are pretty nice though, and they do allow us up to 1000 pounds over before we get a fine.
Up to 500 pounds we get a verbal warning, over 500 but less than a 1000, we get wrote up but no fine. They do have to look at my overlength permit every load though, I just laugh and tell them they should have my permit number memoried. lol
They have told us that they are going to start enforcing a law, where we have to have a full light bar on the end of the logs after dark, being as we get as low as 4 hours in the winter, that will be a pain, but the days are lengthening up some now, plus I start on a different sale in the morning where I DON"T pass the scales.

Not a log hauler but used to tell the game warden he should just keep my hunting and fishing license and show them to me when he saw me instead of the other way around. I reminded him I did not need them anyway unless he was there.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

thecfarm

WV Sawmiller,never thought of it that way.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

millcreek40

I got stopped a couple of weeks ago with my mack log truck with a load of Popple on. They weren't concerned with weight just wanted to inspect the truck . And man did they ever!!  2 1/2 hrs later a got out of there. They also were very nice to deal with. I had to change one air hose $15 before I could leave . For everyone that thinks truckers get paid to much, after I sat there while they went over every inch of the truck the inspector said the truck is in great shape BUT I could give you a ticket because it dripped ONE drip of oil out of the breather tube in 2-1/2 hrs.  He didn't . How many things do we let go on are skidders that would have to be fixed today if it also had to go through a DOT check. Better love your trucker!!!  Remember we aren't getting paid while we are socializing with the law. Just my 2 cents. Stay safe out there
Two 240A Timberjacks, Mack log truck, Multitek 2040 wood processor.

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

HiTech

I have been stopped by DOT cops many times. Some are decent and know you have to make a living and others are "brain dead" state puppets. What really gets me is the salt the state spreads on the roads like holy water. That stuff really eats your truck up. It's hard enough to make a living without watching your vehicles turned into a pile of rusted junk. My 2 cents worth....maybe a quarters worth. lol

Woodhauler

Quote from: millcreek40 on January 16, 2016, 07:00:17 AM
I got stopped a couple of weeks ago with my mack log truck with a load of Popple on. They weren't concerned with weight just wanted to inspect the truck . And man did they ever!!  2 1/2 hrs later a got out of there. They also were very nice to deal with. I had to change one air hose $15 before I could leave . For everyone that thinks truckers get paid to much, after I sat there while they went over every inch of the truck the inspector said the truck is in great shape BUT I could give you a ticket because it dripped ONE drip of oil out of the breather tube in 2-1/2 hrs.  He didn't . How many things do we let go on are skidders that would have to be fixed today if it also had to go through a DOT check. Better love your trucker!!!  Remember we aren't getting paid while we are socializing with the law. Just my 2 cents. Stay safe out there
Ditto on the oil leak!! Had one guy stop me last year, and after 1 1/2 hours he found one drop of oil off my hydraulic tank! Said it is a ticketable offence and out of service!! After some reasoning he let me go.
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

LeeB

That's outrageous. How many, if any, passenger vehicles could pass that?
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Ford_man

A passenger vehicle is too close to the ground to crawl under. Thank goodness! Mine would all be in impound.

starmac

I ran a shop a couple of miles from a scale On I 40 for several years. A huge part of my business was at the scalehouse, I can tell you some horror stories BOTH ways.
One of my favorites was welding a crack up an a brand new flat bed, there  was no crack, it was a run in the paint, but even after I cleaned the paint off, the nice dot officer, said he didn't care, he SAID it was a crack. The owner said WELD it, so I can get out of here.

Another time a female inspector wrote a guy up for an oil leak, She did not shut him down, but ticketed him. He told me he would pay me to come out and find any oil leak, there was none, and I mean none. I ask her to show it to me several times, she just kept saying no, that he didn't have to fix it. I finally told her, he was paying me to fix it, and I wanted the money, so she needed to show me what it was that needed fixing, she finally admitted there was none, but said she inspected it and was going to write up something.
Other times I would be fixing something minor, like adjusting brakes and ask the driver if he wanted his akle hooked bolted back on while we were working on it, the dot checked the brake adjustment, but comepletly spaced the Ubolts just hanging down, dangling in the wind. lol

sandhills

I don't haul lumber but a couple of years ago got pulled over hauling grain in our old '68 Chevy single axle.  Officer said "all we're checking on straight trucks today is weight", whew thank goodness, then "show me your overload papers", (we're allowed 10% over in the fall coming out of the field) and I said I didn't have them, I don't need them.  He weighed me, said your fine you're way under but get those overload papers it will save you money, I said (politely) sir I'm full, I can't get anymore in it, he laughed and said have a good day  :D.  I'm just glad I wasn't in the semi, if a drip of oil fines you my old Detroit would force me to just hand them the keys and walk away  :D.

Thank You Sponsors!