iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

cougars in Michigan

Started by johnday, October 12, 2004, 06:34:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SliverPicker

That is my role as a hunter. No need for wolves in Michigan to do that. Having wolves here doing what I and the hundreds of thousands of other hunters have been doing for years is reducing the number of hunters to the point of it becoming an economic hardship in some places in the U.P. that used to count on those hunter dollars. No deer, no hunters, no pay day for mom and pop yooper businesses.
[/quote]

Where is a single area in the U.P. where there are "no deer"?  You are welcomed to come and hunt my property in the U.P.  The deer are like lice.  The wolves are there also.   A video of a real live cougar was shot by my best friend (game camera) only 6 miles from my property.  You probably have seen the video or can find it online.

I'm a fifth generation Yooper and a very avid hunter.  I welcome the wolves.  The deer herd has never looked so healthy.  U.P. winters knock out exponentially more deer each year than wolves ever will.  They rebound in short order after severe winters by having more twins than usual (long term study in Minnesota).

Wolves?  Big deal. 
Yooper by trade.

Texas Ranger

More is being learned of the value of wolves in the eco system, from the control of coyotes to the increase in small mammals and birds.  We learn how wrong we have been.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

terry f

The first thing to come up on my search is "Michigan's Deer Herds Flourish While Hunter's Numbers Decline". Michigan has a population goal of 1.35 million whitetails, but have 1.9 million deer, but the hunter numbers are down 22%. Hunters killed 450,000 deer (which is more than all the mule deer in Oregon), and there are still 500,000 too many. 500 wolves will kill 15-25,000 deer, so it sounds like you need some big cats, goes back to my question, how are there not cougars there?

mesquite buckeye

Next we need to reintroduce grizzlies to control the wolves and lions. ;D Then the real fun begins....
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

elk42

Next bring back t-rex to control the grizzlies :D :D
Machinist Retired, Lt15 WM 25 HP, Stihl 044, Stihl 311, Kubota M2900w/FEL, KUBOTA L4800 w/FEL,
Lincoln Ranger 10,000, stihl 034,

mesquite buckeye

And maybe some of those kitties with the really long teeth. ;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

martyinmi

Quote from: elk42 on February 23, 2014, 01:51:52 PM

Geeeesh......Now I wish I had something bigger than my .50 cal Browning!!!! :D :D :D
No God, No Peace
Know God, Know Peace!

mesquite buckeye

That'll work. Just have to hit him right. Then after worry about a visit from Fish & Wildlife Service. ;D

goose63

Quote from: elk42 on February 23, 2014, 01:51:52 PM

/quote]
now that would be some fun hunting 8) 8) :laugh: :laugh:
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

terry f

Looks like a 11 year old girl killed a cougar that was following her brother, in central Washington. If this turns out to be as reported, that's pretty awesome.

Jeff

Two of three suspects plead guilty in illegal killing of cougar in Schoolcraft County

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
March 7, 2014

Contact: Lt. Skip Hagy, 906-293-5131, Debbie Munson Badini, 906-226-1352
or Ed Golder, 517-284-5815

Two of three suspects plead guilty in illegal killing of cougar in
Upper Michigan's Schoolcraft County

Three suspects from Bay and Saginaw counties involved in the Dec. 9 illegal killing of a cougar appeared on March 5 in Schoolcraft County District Court where they were arraigned on warrants related to the killing. Two of the suspects pled guilty and the third entered a not guilty plea.

Troy Robert Richard, 42, of Bay City, pled guilty to the taking/possession of an endangered species and conspiracy to take an endangered species. He was sentenced to 30 days in jail, a three-year revocation of all hunting privileges, $5,775 in fines, court costs and restitution including expenses to preserve the animal for educational purposes. Richard also forfeited the weapon involved in the taking of the animal and was ordered to serve 120 hours of community service.

Theodore Robert Richard, 68, of Munger, pled guilty to aiding and abetting the illegal taking/possession of an endangered species and paid $1,725 in fines and costs, had all hunting privileges revoked for a period of two years and received 96 hours of community service.

Todd Anthony Richard, 43, of Burt, pled not guilty to conspiracy to take/possess an endangered species. He owns and operates a taxidermy business in Bay County and is a brother to Troy Richard.

The crime occurred at the Richards' hunting camp in Germfask Township near Seney in Schoolcraft County on Dec. 9, 2013. The investigation revealed the animal was shot from the subjects' camp when it walked into a deer food plot and drove the deer out while the subjects were muzzleloader hunting for deer. The animal was wounded by Troy Richard with a centerfire 22-250 caliber rifle and it then fled the food plot. It was tracked and located approximately one-quarter mile away the following day and killed.

The investigation also revealed Troy and Theodore Richard then brought the animal back to their camp where they field dressed it and hid it. They proceeded to cook and eat part of the heart. They left for their homes in Bay County shortly after, with the animal intact but field dressed in the back of Troy Richard's pickup truck. Troy Richard reported that he struck a deer with his truck after leaving the camp. He picked up the deer, put it in a trailer with other deer they had killed and transported it to the Michigan State Police post in St. Ignace where he obtained a permit for the roadkill deer all while having the cougar in the truck's bed under a tonneau cover so that it could be hidden from view. DNR investigating officers noted that Richard had ample opportunity to report the cougar killing at this point, but failed to do so.

Troy Richard returned to his residence with the cougar where the animal was skinned and prepared for mounting. The skull was also boiled and preserved; the remains of the carcass were disposed of.

It was discovered when the Richards learned that Michigan Department of Natural Resources conservation officers knew about the poaching, they attempted to hide the evidence at another location. During the investigation, the Richards gave many false statements and had officers searching several areas in the U.P. where they claimed to have disposed of the entire cougar and repeatedly denied that they took the animal home with them. The cougar hide, which had been prepared for mounting, and the skull were eventually recovered, and the entrails of the adult male cougar were also found at the Richards' camp. The suspects ultimately admitted the crime and related it as one of opportunity -- a once-in-a-lifetime chance to kill a cougar in Michigan and have it mounted. Cougars are on the Michigan endangered species list and are a protected animal that may not be hunted.

Anyone with information on any other poaching case may call the DNR's Report All Poaching (RAP) Line 24 hours a day, seven days a week at 800-292-7800. Information can be left anonymously. Information can also be provided online at www.michigan.gov/conservationofficers. Information leading to an arrest and conviction is eligible for a cash reward funded by the Game and Fish Protection Fund.

/NOTE TO EDITORS: Available for download below is a photo of the cougar that was illegally killed in Schoolcraft County. The photo was taken by one of the suspects after he killed the animal./

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Good news story. don't know the laws there but would have been nice to have at least a 5 year suspension of his hunting license.
Don't know whats up with eating the heart.....sounds kind mental to me.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Jeff

Yea, I think permanent revocation would have been okay too.   I'm guessing eating the heart is some sort of machismo thing.  Maybe it will help when Bubba approaches mr lion killer whilst he is in Jail.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

red oaks lumber

sliver picker
there will be a time when you'll be crying because the wolves have reduced your deer numbers. trust me when i tell you wolves are like cancer :(
we use to boast (like you) theres deer hiding behind every tree! shoot as many as you want, they breed like rabbitts. guess what happend? wolves moved in and fast forward 6 yrs. i havent seen a deer track this winter period!!! and i snowshoe 2 miles almost everday. my property bumps up to 4000 acres of county forest. zero deer zero.
heres the deers preditor list
1) DNR
2)wolves
3)bear
4)coyotes
5)cars
6)winterkill
when the top 2 arent contained big problems develope quickly
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Jeff

Quote from: SliverPicker on February 22, 2014, 08:13:23 PM
  The deer herd has never looked so healthy.  U.P. winters knock out exponentially more deer each year than wolves ever will.  They rebound in short order after severe winters by having more twins than usual (long term study in Minnesota).

Wolves?  Big deal.

I won't doubt what you say for a second what you have there, because how would I know, I don't live there, but it is irrelevant to my area in the Eastern U.P. where you don't live.  Right now there is a habitat cut going on on my good friend and neighbor's property right next to me. The logging is attracting Deer. It is now attracting wolves.  2 deer this last week that we know of. The eagles showed the loggers where the fresh kills were. There are probably 20 deer there, so the wolves in the last week have taken 10% of our deer. The loggers are all life long yoopers from the other side of Marquette. They know what a wolf kill looks like. They don't share your opinion. Neither do I.

mesquite buckeye

Update on the Santa Catalina bighorn reintroduction. Mountain lions have now eaten 14 of the original 31 sheep. Two lambs were sighted about a month or so ago, but haven't been seen since. Seems like there is a bit of a surplus of lions in these mountains, as G & F kills one or two after each couple of dead sheep, but more keep coming. ;D :snowball:

If somebody wants to hunt mountain lions in AZ, all you need is a tag from G & F. Open all year.

terry f

Mesquite, hunting aint going to do it, fish and game need to go in with hounds and take care of business. Sheep are reintroduced all the time in places with cougars, I don't know why this is so much different.

mesquite buckeye

Hounds do work. Very hard to find one without them, as they are quite wary.

We also have a save the mountain lions protest movement forming here.

It gets funner and funner.

City people who think wolves are cute dogs and mountain lions are just nice kitties should go hang out with them for a while. ;D 8) 8) 8) :snowball:

terry f

I like the idea of cats and wolves being in the woods around me, it ads a little something.

chain

Quote from: terry f on March 11, 2014, 04:31:11 AM
    I like the idea of cats and wolves being in the woods around me, it ads a little something.

Not a bad idea especially if my chainsaw is running and my pistol and knife are in reach. I've had encounters with a mean dog and a sow in the woods, possibly they were protecting their litters, I know the sow was.

mesquite buckeye

Nothing quite so disconcerting as a howling pack of wolves in close proximity to one's camp, food cooking and no gun at hand. :(

Well, I suppose a grizzley or Alaska brown would be worse.

red oaks lumber

i get high on milk because my cows are on grass :D

milk life...   is the dumbest ad campaign ;)
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

chain

Quote from: chain on February 02, 2014, 07:40:47 AM
Something of interest if you have a Missouri connection is in the February issue of "Misssouri Conservationist" magazine..a great publication usually. But on page 2 someone sent in a photo of a lower base trunk of  a sycamore [does not look sycamore to me but I've been known to be wrong}, the tree nearly 13' in circumference; yet, the photo showing that a beaver has completely girdled the tree and will likely fall in the next wind storm.

The comments, seemingly boastful, of the novelty of having such an apparently "giant ghost beaver" are amusing to me. For one thing, what is the worth of this magnificent tree ? What devotion to dozens of ecological benefits has this tree provided in its lifetime? I've seen hundreds and hundreds of trees damaged and girdled down to waste from , let's say, "over achieving beaver"! ???

So, what's the point? The point is...someone needs to invent a 'girdling post' to save trees! :)

chain

I have searched for this post and cannot figure out how I put it on "cougars in Michigan', sorry. But wanted some to know that I was for once correct, that the tree was NOT a sycamore as stated, the beaver was cutting on a cottonwood. The Editor of the magazine corrected in this month's issue....thanks.

Hope someone's working on that 'girdling post'! :)

Thank You Sponsors!