iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

getting logs across a river

Started by madmari, January 14, 2016, 07:50:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madmari

I seek the knowledge of the best group of thinkers ever assembled.

I have some good hardwood logs (about 25 MBF) to get out this winter. My current landing is a 1 mile skid over rough country. There is another good landing area next to the road about 100 yards away, however a small shallow river (50-60 feet wide) runs between the wood and the road. There is good solid bank on both sides and I could get a loader right to the bank on the road side. I cannot skid across the river- even when frozen, due to regulations. A bridge is not an option due to the cost vs return and permitting, etc.
   I need a way to get the logs over to the other side.  :snowball:
I know why dogs stick thier head out the car window.

WV Sawmiller

Are long cables and snatch blocks an option? Likely need a small jon boat at the site. Sure would help if you have 2 people with one on each side of the river to connect and disconnect the chokers.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

dustintheblood

In a previous thread we used a skyline to get logs out of a swampy area.  Worked like a charm!
Case 75C, Case 1494, RangeRoad RR10T36, Igland 4001, Hardy 1400ST, WM LT40HD, WM Edger, ICS DH Kiln

Gary_C

I expect the reason for not skidding across a frozen river is mostly due to bank protection reasons. So be very cautious when you look for ways to get across the river without actually skidding across the waterway.

If there is a place where you can drive across when frozen without disturbing the stream bank in any way, you may be able to get a permit. Otherwise you're pretty much screwed.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

beenthere

Might be better to just figure out a way to make the mile run easier, and forget the river crossing.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Offthebeatenpath

With the right physical conditions (spar trees, anchors, landings, etc.) and the right equipment (2-3 people, cable skidder/tractor w/ winch, 1 or two loaders/skid steers, a haulback winch with associated gear), I would expect that you could set up a skyline system and probably fly an average of 15 logs an hour, perhaps more once you got the system dialed. The question is, would that be more efficient and than simply skidding with one person and one piece of equipment? It depends on how long your mile long skid takes and how much you can skid each turn. The additional labor for the skyline might tip the scales.
1985 JD 440D, ASV tracked skid steer w/ winch, Fecon grapple, & various attachments, Hitachi CG-30 tracked dump truck, CanyCom S25 crawler carrier, Volvo EC35C mini-ex, Kubota 018-4 mini-ex, Cormidi 100 self loading tracked dumper, various other little trail building machines and tools...

coxy

just skid across it they can only fine you once :D :D  I would do the skid around they can get vary picky about loading/ landing by the water just think if something goes wrong with the logs half way crossed the river and they fall in then you have a big mess/fines up the rear      if it was me I would just go around jmop

CCC4

Why not jut skid all the logs to the crossing and then pull your main line back across and just winch them over to your skidder on the other side?

OH logger

Quote from: CCC4 on January 14, 2016, 06:27:21 PM
Why not jut skid all the logs to the crossing and then pull your main line back across and just winch them over to your skidder on the other side?

X2
john

xalexjx

theres no narrower spots you can put a temporary bridge in? in ny permits arnt too bad, cant imagine vt being much worse, i did one two winters ago that spanned 40' and we ran 120k lb trucks over it.
Logging and Processed Firewood

dgdrls

Is there an opportunity to purchase a Skyline and then market that system after this project
as another option for projects??

I'll throw this one out as well,  as indicated prior, skid the logs to the landing at the river where it's narrowest and shallow (if possible)
and build a log skid-way across the river (sell it as that it's not a vehicle bridge).
do it when its as cold as possible and use a couple/few flat bottom boats
tied together as a floating center pier foundation.  Cable/chain down the ends of the skid-way
and anchor the center of the system back.   Perhaps???

let us know,

Best
Dan

beenthere

Only problem, where the stream is narrow is where it is the deepest.

Where the stream is shallowest, it will be wide. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

madmari

Deep= slow flow, better ice. Thinkin winching is the way to go if allowed.

starmac

Would a loader on each side be feasible, just hand them off, wouldn't even have to touch the water or ice, if you are not allowed to.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Maine372

have you considered cold decking the wood then rent/lease/borrow a larger skidder or forwarder to move it roadside faster? less trips, less time might make up for the cost.

OntarioAl

Check on the availability and cost of a mobile crane. With everything in place 25fmb log deck and two people on the ground (one setting chokers and one releasing) You should be able to do the job in a day.
My thoughts
Al
Al Raman

starmac

Curiosity has me here. I am sure your wood is worth more than ours, but what is that wood worth to you once it hits the mill. I know here, if it is too much trouble, it is cheaper to leave it in the woods.
I start hauling off a sale in the morning, where the logger has been most of a week building an ice bridge. He probably doesn't have enough timber in there to make it worth it, but had to anyway to get his equipment out as he will finish that sale, and won't need to leave it there another year.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

leeroyjd

Would it be worthwhile to have a landing in the woods and hire someone with a forwarder?

leeroyjd

Quote from: Maine372 on January 14, 2016, 09:48:40 PM
have you considered cold decking the wood then rent/lease/borrow a larger skidder or forwarder to move it roadside faster? less trips, less time might make up for the cost.
I missed this post!

madmari

Quote from: OntarioAl on January 14, 2016, 10:31:16 PM
Check on the availability and cost of a mobile crane. With everything in place 25fmb log deck and two people on the ground (one setting chokers and one releasing) You should be able to do the job in a day.
My thoughts
Al

I'll check on the cost. That may work. Thanks

47sawdust

madmari,
Now you have enough options to truly make you mad.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

madmari

Not mad; I just think that there is a smart pool of good people on here with good ideas. Years of experience and ingenuity trumps my ego. Thanks for all the input- I let you know what happens if I don't starve first.

Thank You Sponsors!