iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Carb cleaner

Started by ohiowoodchuck, January 13, 2016, 08:21:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ohiowoodchuck

What brand or type of solution have you guys had the best luck with soaking your carbs. I got a 660 I just completely rebuilt. It fires up and sounds good on the top end but keeps dieing at idle and has a hesitation coming off the low end. I can tell it had enthanol gas in by the stink in the tank, the fuel line was like jello and the corrosion in the carb.
Education is the best defense against the media.

DonnerParty

I use the Napa 1 Gal cans with the basket.

Are you sure you've adjusted the L rich enough? Dying at idle and stumbling when you give it throttle is typically a sign of too lean on the L screw.

You can buy the cheap carbs on Amazon or eBay for not much more than a carb kit these days, and I've had good luck with them.

Remle

For what it's worth, I don't use liquid chemicals to clean any of the carbs that I rebuild. Instead I use a "DYI Baking Soda Blaster", if you have air, google it and check out the videos. No more scraping or trying to poke wires in the holes to remove crud, just blast them and the best part was I had all the parts necessary to build one on hand. Well I did have to raid the wife's baking supplies the first time, now I keep a couple of boxes on hand.  :D :D

ohiowoodchuck

I did a little soak in gum out carb cleaner. Put it back together and it ran out as it should.
Education is the best defense against the media.

RCBS

Used Berrymans chem dip when I was working in a small engine repair shop.  If 24-36 hours in that stuff can't clean it up, its time for a new carburetor.  Brake cleaner through all the ports to rinse, followed by blow gun.  I would say I had about 75% success with this method.  This was with Honda, Briggs, Robin, etc engines.  We didn't do much 2stroke repair.
Echo CS-3400, 550xp, Jonsered 2166, L3130 Kubota, '78 JD 300 backhoe, Kubota RTV900, JD2305, lots of sharp stuff and several firearms

limbwood

I use charcoal lighter fluid its a little stronger than mineral spirits. You have to be carefull not to use carb cleaner, some will eat up the rubber check valve in jet. Spray out with brake clean, then air.

joe_indi

A syringe and an emulsion of water, liquid detergent and gasoline works well for me, followed by a syringe with plain water, and a blower to dry it out.
The emulsion dissolves any muck.

Thank You Sponsors!