iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Oregon Saw chains

Started by Bert, January 13, 2016, 01:31:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bert

I run 72 lgx chains on all my saws. For about the past 12 months or so I keep getting 1-2 teeth per loop that cant be filed. I think someone at the factory dropped a bunch of carbide teeth in the normal chain basket :D. This has been going on with multiple loops. I use about 10 chains a month between the mill, logging, and personal firewood. The file wont even touch these teeth, and goof up the file if you try. Anyone else experience this?
Saw you tomorrow!

beenthere

If can't be filed, then they can't get dull...  ?? or not true?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Bert

They will dull, but not as fast as the other teeth. Honestly haven't paid much attention to how sharp they remain compared to the others. Ive been knocking them back with an angle grinder  to keep them even.
Saw you tomorrow!

beenthere

QuoteIve been knocking them back with an angle grinder  to keep them even.

Hard to imagine that that (Tom) would be at all necessary. But is your chain.. ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

gspren

Funny you posted this because I was going to post that I have an Oregon chain I got with a 24" bar for my 044 Stihl and it has one tooth that must be just what you describe. I am a retired machinist and have filed on many types and hardnesses of steel through the years and that one tooth must Rockwell 62+.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

HolmenTree

Carlton  (owned by Oregon ) had the random hard tooth issue a few years back. Sometimes quality control goes out the window.
On the subject of using an  angle grinder to bring back teeth, it's all good as I do the same with a rocked out chain on the jobsite if my spare saw won't finish my treework I'm  doing.
Just take a light touch on and off as you grind, then finish with the round file.

Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Grandedog

Howdy,
   They sharpen the teeth before assembly. That's probably why it's random. The hardness is usually just on the sharpened surface. It's more like being annealed. You should be able to grind it away using small pecks with a grinder as to not overheat the tooth.
Regards
Gregg
Gregg Grande
Left Coast Supplies LLC
1615B South Main Street  Willits, CA 95490
888-995-7307  Ph 707-602-0141                   Fax 707-602-0134  Cell 707-354-3212
E-Mail  gregg@leftcoastsupplies.com   www.leftcoastsupplies.com

Jhenderson

I've run into that several times in the last year. LG chain. A couple of cutters I finally got through the hard spots but ruined a file for my trouble. A couple of times I just used vise grips and broke off the offending tooth.

John Mc

Did you have these hard teeth before ever sharpening it on a grinder?  I hand-sharpen, but have had a couple of teeth that got air-hardened when I took a rocked chain to someone with a grinder. Years ago I also had some Total chains (made by Carlton, I believe) that had some hard cutters right out of the box - so it does happen from time to time.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Bert

QuoteDid you have these hard teeth before ever sharpening it on a grinder?

I hand sharpen as well. These teeth are hard right out of the box. I don't try to file them with an angle grinder :D. Just every three or so hand sharpenings I knock the offending teeth back with a grinder so they are not longer than the others. Snapping them off with a pair of pliers isn't a bad idea. Hope they get it together soon or Im going to switch chains. Its a waste of time.
Saw you tomorrow!

Thank You Sponsors!