iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Well, the race is on

Started by Dirigoboy, October 12, 2004, 05:40:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dirigoboy

The local news here in Maine said tonight that the race was on for firewood.  People are looking at the price of oil and are dusting off the basement barrel stoves that have lain dormant for a while.
Dry, cut, & split, area dealers were getting around $140 cord(delivered).  It's being snapped up like hotcakes and the local suppliers are just about tapped.  Some are brokering kiln dried through  other suppliers, but the air dried is just about done.
They said they're taking orders for next year already.
Hard to believe that a state that is over 95% forested is experiencing a shortage of wood.

Frank_Pender

I have at my dismosal two tail sidings and will begin sending it in locked box cars when you say the word. ;D
Frank Pender

SwampDonkey

I got this years wood in the basement and another years wood all locked down. ;) The neighbor paid $1800 for 5 cord, split and delivered, now he has to go out and steal another 5 from his neighbors lot after dark, yup that's what I said ::). I paid $1680 for 14 cords delivered treelength. I have my own saw and wood splitter and my time isn't worth anything, so I figure I done real good. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

jgoodhart

Anybody have a large truck to haul fire wood from PA to Maine?

Quartlow

at that price I'm gonna truck it in from ohio
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

pappy

4X4X8 = 128 cubic feet, not a rick or face cord.  We got ours in July and paid $120 per.  Also got some trimmings around the mill we gonna split up fer early and late season burning and save the good stuff fer when it gets really chilly.  ;)
"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

"Down the Allagash."  by; Henry Withee

SwampDonkey

Yeah the neighbor got burned bad, paid $360/cord split, delivered and hauled. It's normally $180 for all that service. And he had to borrow the money to get that much. ::)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Murf

The local mill operators around my cottage have all put in whole tree chippers and figure they can do better chipping the culls and slabs and sending them to the Georgia Pacific OSB plant nearby then trying to deal with it as firewood.

I wonder if I could make a really BIG pellet machine and put WTC's back together as firewood......... :D :D :D
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

SwampDonkey

Errmm..this isn't directed to anyone on here.  ;)   Untill you've been in the stovewood business you don't know the hassles involved. Someone says he wants 10 cord, says he coming over on friday, never shows, no call....comes to pick it up 2 weeks later....can I pay you later? Or you deliver the wood, the guy says he can't pay right now, but will have it in a week. Then ya gotta chase him down for your pay for weeks, cause he never had it nor would he have it anytime soon. OR the well known phrase, 'Oh, I can get it cheaper at so and so's'. It goes on and on....no wonder the guy at the mill will chip it for the OSB rather than deal with the horse pucky folks put them through. ::) When I buy my firewood the guy has his cheque in his hand before he climbs back in the truck cab, and it don't bounce at the bank. ;) Honestly, if ya want the wood and ya agreed to the price, pay the guy and don't bother hassling him. If ya didn't have the money to pay for it, its just like me going and cutting your trees without intention of paying for them. My grandfather got burned by these folks constantly. Actually, if the guy at the mill deals with alot of volume its way cheaper to send to OSB plants because he doesn't have to buck it and handle it a dozen times.

There I said enough. ;D

estiers

I understand that huge differences in price between areas will lead to some trucking in wood from long distances.  Remember to check the laws before you do that though.  There are several areas where moving firewood is prohibited, like in MI for example because of the Emerald Ash Borer.

Just something to keep in mind.
Erin Stiers
State Plant Health Director - Minnesota
United States Department of Agriculture

Frank_Pender

Yep, we have some of the same issues of moving wood fiber out here.  We have what is call SOD Sudden Oak Death.   It is affecting even some nursery types of stock.  There have been a couple of counties than had a lock on their sales of product for a short time, until things were cleared up and burned. :'(
Frank Pender

dewwood

estiers,

Welcome to the Forestry Forum!  I hope you enjoy your time here and can add commentary from your prospective.

Dewey
Selling hardwood lumber, doing some sawing and drying, growing the next generation of trees and enjoying the kids and grandkids.

bighoss550

QuoteAnybody have a large truck to haul fire wood from PA to Maine?

i would but i doubt u could sell it at a profit when we get there!!

how many cords is 20,000 lbs??? it would be no less than 1500 bucks just to get it there!!! and a 40,000lb semi load would be in the 2500 dollar range!!!

i think id be cutin some Maine trees :D

SwampDonkey

20,000 lbs = 3.6 cords

40,000 lbs = 7.2 cords

better haul it treelength on a semi 82500 lbs ;) 15 cords

bighoss550

gross in PA(and most of new england) is 76,000 lbs. the truck and trailer weight about 30,000. so u arent gona be haulin 82 thousand of wood in any less than 2 trips:)

Frank_Pender

Open gondolas might be the answer.  But, I am affraid that they might just be light in contents when the cars arrived in Main. A cut here, a cut there and all there might be left is some sawdust from the chainsaw.
Frank Pender

SwampDonkey

No wonder our roads are all gone to pot then. They haul 35 to 40 metric tonnes per load here (2200 lbs/metric tonne). So,  77000 - 88000 lbs of wood per load.  I'm sure it heavier than that bighoss, cause the guys have been sending 35-37 metric tonnes per load to GP and Huber in Maine. That works out to 38.5-40.7 short tons per load. They're getting over 14 cord per load. :o

cheers

bighoss550

Quartlow

Gross  all depends on what your driving, a Class 8  5 axle semi can gross 80,000 pounds on any interstate anywhere in the US. Now there are variables to the Rule, take Michigan for example, Ever seen one of those MI trains, axles from one end to the other?

If memory serves me right they are allowed 20,000 pounds on the steer axle and 17,000 pounds on every other axle. so in theory an 11 axle rig can gross 190,000 pounds   :o :o now htats only good in MI

Then theres PA where they allow 73,280 on a triaxle
 want to really make your head hurt start reading the FMCSA website

And if you take my Brothers truck he light weighs at 24,500 so you could haul  55,500 legal
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

SwampDonkey

BossHoss:

Three axil trailors, Maine DOT permits, papers, stickers and all. They wouldn't be allowed through customs without it .;) Its A $5000 fine without it. And if your done trucking over there and forget to inform DOT, when renewel comes up, that your done trucking, then its also a $5000. My father got a renewel notice this summer that said if he didn't fill out the form and state he was done truckin it would be $5000 fine. He hasn't trucked produce over there for over 10 years. :D

Ron Wenrich

We used to haul cut wood in a self unloading trailer to the far end of Long Island.  They weighed some of the loads and it was between 95,000-100,000.  Never got caught since they ran before the scales opened.

Although there is a 73,280 limit in PA, they will give a 10% allowance on ag products.  So, that puts you right around 80,000.

For some reason, management thinks they are saving money by running heavy.  Yes, you save a few runs on the trucks, but you beat the daylights out of your equipment.  They only get caught once or twice a year and have 4 trucks on the road.  I think its more of a game with the police.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Arthur

what you need is some of our Australian trucks.  B doubles and Road trains carry very large loads 8)

Tom

I've seen those things on the TV.  What a job that must be!

SwampDonkey

Wide highways and no major hair pin turns. :)

Furby

Looks like fun!  8) 8) 8)
But I'm guessing you don't have many "roadkill cafes" over there, I can't belive there's much left after an encounter with a road train.

Thank You Sponsors!