iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ice "Flowers"

Started by Magicman, January 12, 2016, 09:34:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

OK, I understand that to you that are located in the Glacial North "cold" has a much different definition, but to me, "cold" is anything below freezing.  Anyway, yesterday morning was cold here.  We had gotten much rain during the past few days so the weed stems were filled with water.  As this encapsulated water begins to freeze it splits those stems and extrudes the most interesting forms of curled ice.  Here are just a few of the thousands that I saw as I walked along.

This one split, reformed, and sorta looked like a white dove.

The ribbons looked like leaves.

This one split 4 different ways.

They are so delicate.

It looked like angel hair wrapped around this one.

Nature is a thing of beauty.   :)   

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

mesquite buckeye

Nature's magic. ;D 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) :snowball:

I have never seen this. :(
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

kensfarm

Wow.. looks like cotton.. or webbing.  We are getting our first dusting of snow this evening.. windy too. 

gfadvm

Very cool. I have never seen anything like that here. Must be a Ms. thing :)

timberlinetree

That's neat! Really neat!!
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

LeeB

Supposed to be a rare thing. I had seen them a few times in Texas when I was a kid. Where we are now in Arkansas they are pretty common sight and we see them at least once every winter and usually more often than that. They are as individual as snow flakes and can be quite beautiful. Even though I now think they are common in my area there are still a lot of folks around me that have never seen them. maybe we just look for them. Quite often too they will disappear as soon as the sun hits them for a little bit.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Roxie

Never saw that before either.  The white dove is my favorite  Thanks Magicman. 
Say when

coxy

never seen them before either  thank for the pics MM

Magicman

Monday morning was perfect because the recent rains had filled the weed stems and the temperature was a nippy 28°.  They are usually just above the grass/leaf level.  They range in size from and inch up to about 6 inches and each displays it's own uniqueness and beauty.  There were thousands and yes, they disappear when the sun hits them.  Since the grass/weed stems are now split, it won't happen again this year.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Grizzly

Thanks for sharing Magic. I suspect that is something we'll never see up here in glacier country? By mid fall most all our plants have gone dormant and would not be taking in water anymore and thus won't be damaged by the frost? We do listen to the lake ice do a lot of muttering and screaming as temps change. Thanks again.
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

petefrom bearswamp

Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

LeeB

Quote from: Magicman on January 13, 2016, 09:22:41 AM
Monday morning was perfect because the recent rains had filled the weed stems and the temperature was a nippy 28°.  They are usually just above the grass/leaf level.  They range in size from and inch up to about 6 inches and each displays it's own uniqueness and beauty.  There were thousands and yes, they disappear when the sun hits them.  Since the grass/weed stems are now split, it won't happen again this year.

Lynn, you may yet get to see them again this year. We get them more than once a season.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

drobertson

crazy, I've seen them before, never to a snap shot, never knew they were rare, and I too believe below 32 is cold,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Thank You Sponsors!