iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Buy a Ticket?

Started by Gary_C, January 12, 2016, 02:14:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary_C

A few statistics and odds for you. If you win the next powerball drawing, statistics show you may be broke again in five years.  ::)

For a person in the US, you are 14 or 17 times MORE likely to be elected president in the next election.  :D :D

It's a government scheme to take money from the foolish and make someone very rich for a short time while keeping some to spend. I'm still going to get a few tickets anyway.  ::)
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Jeff

We will still be buying ONE ticket, because that increases our chances of winning dramatically. :D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

goose63

Got my ticket one can all ways hope ::)
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

lowpolyjoe

A long time ago my coworker told me the lottery is a tax on stupidity.  :D

I can't argue the statistical facts, but I still bought a few tickets for the last drawing (and won my money back   8)) and bought a few more for the next drawing.

All those lottery winners going broke drives me insane.  I remember there was a tv show all about that.  Just crazy.  You don't have to be a genius to know how subtraction works  :D

Good luck everybody

WV Sawmiller

Haven't bought one and don't expect to. Not sure I'd want that much wealth especially if others knew it. I'd have to be worried about security, kidnapping of family members for ransom, people bugging me all the time to donate to their projects, etc. If I did win at least I could go ahead and buy a good used tractor with forks and bucket to use with my sawmill business.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

beenthere

Haven't heard of any winners having family members kidnapped for ransom. Maybe it just doesn't make the news.  ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Cedarman

Quote from: Jeff on January 12, 2016, 02:46:08 PM
We will still be buying ONE ticket, because that increases our chances of winning dramatically. :D
You have an infinitely greater chance of winning the lottery by buying just one ticket.

First thing I would do if I won would be to get a 4x8 piece of plywood and paint it white, then paint 2 black letters on it and place it at the bottom of the driveway.
The 2 letters?  NO
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

petefrom bearswamp

Yeah buy 1 ticket and your odds go from ZERO to 1 in 292.3 million.
Ill keep my 2 bucks for a couple of cups of senior coffee at Mickey Ds
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

coxy

Quote from: petefrom bearswamp on January 12, 2016, 04:38:05 PM
Yeah buy 1 ticket and your odds go from ZERO to 1 in 292.3 million.
Ill keep my 2 bucks for a couple of cups of senior coffee at Mickey Ds
I feel the same way  but not the coffee  don't think ill pass the age requirement  :D :D

petefrom bearswamp

You will get old enough  in a flash, just you wait
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

sprucebunny

I am a very frugal person but I buy $5/week of lottery tickets most weeks because if you don't play, you can't win. I don't expect to win but the dreaming part is fun and I seldom buy coffee by the cup  ;)
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

coxy

Quote from: petefrom bearswamp on January 12, 2016, 05:20:05 PM
You will get old enough  in a flash, just you wait
:D :D they say your only as old as you feel  :-\ :-X :-X :-X                   sprucebunny JMOP but the should out law coffee  :o ;D

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: beenthere on January 12, 2016, 03:38:30 PM
Haven't heard of any winners having family members kidnapped for ransom. Maybe it just doesn't make the news.  ;)

Neighbor a few miles away won 330 mil back in early 2000. Took the 170 mil early payout. He has repeatedly said it brought him nothing but grief. One granddaughter OD'd on drugs in early 2006 and they first thought was kidnapping. Could have happened without the lottery money but made it easier.

And I don't know of anybody who has ever won over a billion. I'd like to be comfortable and travel more to remote areas but wouldn't want to be looking over my shoulder every minute.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

scsmith42

My favorite definition of the lottery?

"The lottery is a tax on people who are bad at math".

Having said that, once the payout exceeds 400 million I find that my math skills degrade significantly... :D :D
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

thecfarm

I would have some BIG toys to rid someones land of rocks on Gordon Hill.  ;D Than I would have to buy dirt to feel in a BIG basin bowl on someones land on Gordon Hill.  ;D But I would have fun.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

kensfarm

They say the proceeds are suppose to benefit senior citizens.. I don't mind buying some tickets.  Common..   lady luck!  Buy a 1000 acres..  widdle out a spot in the middle.. spend the rest of your days milling your way out.  :) 

pigman

I have never bought a ticket before, but tomorrow I am going to buy one. If I win, I think I will get back into farming until all the money is gone.
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Gearbox

I may buy one tomorow or I may wait for it to get to realey big money . If I win I would have to buy more land to fill up with logging and firewood equipment .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

Magicman

Let's see. I would have to drive about 80 miles round trip to the nearest lotto store in Louisiana.  That would cost me about 5 bucks just for gas. 

I"ll just take a 150 mile round trip in the other direction and buy Miss PatD a nice Birthday lunch and my odds of getting lucky will vastly beat the lotto odds.   smiley_love   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

LeeB

Quote from: Magicman on January 12, 2016, 10:06:18 PM
Let's see. I would have to drive about 80 miles round trip to the nearest lotto store in Louisiana.  That would cost me about 5 bucks just for gas. 

I"ll just take a 150 mile round trip in the other direction and buy Miss PatD a nice Birthday lunch and my odds of getting lucky will vastly beat the lotto odds.   smiley_love   8)

Don't hurt yourself old feller.  :D :D
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

LeeB

I asked Lindy to buy a couple of tickets just for s&g.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Brucer

Quote from: Cedarman on January 12, 2016, 03:45:55 PM
... First thing I would do if I won would be to get a 4x8 piece of plywood and paint it white, then paint 2 black letters on it and place it at the bottom of the driveway.
The 2 letters?  NO

That won't stop the people who can't read, or the people who can read but say they can't, or the people who "didn't see" the sign, or the people sneaking in the back way.  :D :D
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

timberlinetree

I asked the guy at the counter for a winning ticket. He sold me a losing ticket. Can I return it? :D
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

Cedarman

Quote from: Brucer on January 13, 2016, 12:31:51 AM
Quote from: Cedarman on January 12, 2016, 03:45:55 PM
... First thing I would do if I won would be to get a 4x8 piece of plywood and paint it white, then paint 2 black letters on it and place it at the bottom of the driveway.
The 2 letters?  NO

That won't stop the people who can't read, or the people who can read but say they can't, or the people who "didn't see" the sign, or the people sneaking in the back way.  :D :D
2nd thing is to get 3 or 4 big vociferous dogs.  This will take care of those that can't or choose not to read.  The deaf ones will only have to get close enough to see the dogs.
Bark, Bark,  Teeth , Teeth.  The dogs would be for show only, sure wouldn't want someone to get bit.
I would spend most of the money on factory timberland and keep enough to hire good managers.  Then it should be self sustaining.  But it may be like farming.   :D :D
I would give no money to those that asked and help my friends and family that did not ask.
Any treasure hunter will tell you that the fun is the hunt.  Finding the treasure is anticlimatic.
Running a business is much more fun than counting all   of the money from it.  The reason to get up in the morning is the thrill of the new day and its challenges, not how will I spend my money today.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

drobertson

I'm in the camp with those who don't buy in regularly, but when it goes up like this I do give in, buying one,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Thank You Sponsors!