iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

LT40 Harbor Freight Predator install?

Started by KirkD, January 12, 2016, 09:29:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KirkD

When you level your mill do you do it as close as possible like you would an RV and call it as good as you can for where you are or do you spend a lot of time trying to get it 100% and keep it there? I see that level would be nice but how important is it to have and keep it 100%? If your a few degrees off does it matter? The log is going to follow the mill and long as it has all its feet on the ground right or not?
Wood-mizer LT40HD-G24 Year 1989

Chuck White

Quote from: petefrom bearswamp on July 27, 2017, 08:00:40 AM
I ran some .055 blades at max a few years ago at the suggestion of Dave Scott at WM
After about 20 hrs or so of sawing I heard a bang and the blade came off.
The v belt on the drive wheel was crushed down to the metal. 

That's one of the points I've been trying to make, Pete!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Crossroads

Quote from: KirkD on July 26, 2017, 06:09:24 PM
Crossroads, Where in Oregon are you at?

I'm near toledo, so far I think I have the oldest WM on here lol
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Crossroads

As for leveling, I do use a level when I set up, but side to side is more important to me than length wise. Because if it's level from side to side it helps me visually see that my cuts are square. My side stops weren't made for hydraulics so, I can't trust them to stay square to the bed. Eventually I'll put some more steel on them and be able to trust them more.

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

MbfVA

Same thing is true with my Peterson WPF swing blade -- side to side is what's most important, but call me old-fashioned, I like to see things level plumb and square.  As the OP said it makes things easier to see & figure out.  In the case of my swing blade, pushing uphill is not a lot of fun, either.   Integrated levelers is something I'm going to suggest to Peterson as an improvement or at least an option on future models. It will be especially useful with a portable product like mine.  I just hope they'll hold their fire on what they charge for them.
www.ordinary.com (really)

KirkD

I get what you guys are saying I hate to see something sitting out of level. To bad WM did not use a jack that have more precise increments. I think once I get sawing one of my projects will be to cut some good hardwood wedges.

KirkD

Quote from: Crossroads on July 28, 2017, 12:32:01 PM
Quote from: KirkD on July 26, 2017, 06:09:24 PM
Crossroads, Where in Oregon are you at?

I'm near toledo, so far I think I have the oldest WM on here lol
Kevin,
I got your contact info and will shoot you back mine.
Kirk

MbfVA

WM does offer a set of more sophisticated jacks, but the added cost is $1000 for a set of six.   That's why I made my comment about the cost Peterson might put on theirs.

R&D is expensive I realize that, but I think bulldog Jack company already did the R&D, so I'm not sure why the markup is so high.

KirkD

Quote from: MbfVA on July 28, 2017, 02:53:06 PM
WM does offer a set of more sophisticated jacks, but the added cost is $1000 for a set of six.   That's why I made my comment about the cost Peterson might put on theirs.

R&D is expensive I realize that, but I think bulldog Jack company already did the R&D, so I'm not sure why the markup is so high.
Exactly the Bulldog I have on my boat trailer would work great and it has 900lb tongue weight. A shorter version of their camper jack would work good since they will go up and down with a Dewalt. Think how fast setup and teardown would be! And re-leveling when a couple sunk in after lifting a log on would be a snap. Think I will call and talk to them and post back.

Magicman

I always try to have the loader side ~half bubble high so that the log will roll onto the sawmill bed easier and also "favor" the side support side. 

I also want the front of the sawmill ~half bubble high so that the head is moving downhill while sawing.

This is my 15th year of sawing and I have never had a blade to come off while sawing, and yes, I saw maximum blade tension. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

paul case

I have had the band come off and break in about every way that it can be done. I have been using a bandsaw for about 9 years now and most of the band coming off for me is rookie mistakes like backing up in the cut.

I have had less trouble with band coming off since I started running max tension on my machines. I have not noticed that the belts wear any worse than before. I cut almost only hardwoods and some heat the band real fast and you could watch the pressure go from good to almost nothing half way down a log when I was tensioning by the book. I dont see that as much running max pressure.

I am not trying to sway anyone here. Just my experience.PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

John S

I also have the loader side a hair on the high side but I have the hitch end (control end) slightly low to prevent the saw head from tending to drift forward.  For safety sake, I prefer to have it tend to lean away from the cut.  Usually, it is so close to level that it does not move and is easily pushed manually in either direction.
2018 LT40HDG38 Wide

Magicman

John's reply above is why there is seldom a "one size fits all" answer to most sawmill questions.

The saw head on a manual sawmill might move.  Mine has power feed, and can not move.

Now back to sipping coffee on a rainy lazy Saturday morning.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Crossroads

Quote from: Magicman on July 29, 2017, 08:10:35 AM
I always try to have the loader side ~half bubble high so that the log will roll onto the sawmill bed easier and also "favor" the side support side. 

I also want the front of the sawmill ~half bubble high so that the head is moving downhill while sawing.

This is my 15th year of sawing and I have never had a blade to come off while sawing, and yes, I saw maximum blade tension.
I load logs on the ramps with a 3,500# boat winch, but if I left the mill a half Bubble off, I couldn't cut anything square since I'm already a half bubble off 😳

MbfVA

Or maybe a couple bubbles short of a beer? Or maybe too many beers to count the bubbles... I'll quit while you're only mildly offended 😬

Darrel

Quote from: MbfVA on July 29, 2017, 06:04:56 PM
Or maybe a couple bubbles short of a beer? Or maybe too many beers to count the bubbles... I'll quit while you're only mildly offended 😬

The only offensive thing I can think of is be bubbless.   :D :D :D :D :D :D
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Crossroads

Quote from: MbfVA on July 29, 2017, 06:04:56 PM
Lol, no offense for sure, but it's strictly the NA version for me these days. Had a little to much fun one night about 13 years ago and haven't touched a drop since. Funny thing, people seem to like me better now ;)

KirkD

When I first started using my 22hp Predator under load it would smoke heavy out the exhaust and found out they are picky on oil level. I guess it forces some through the breather tube and injects it into the intake. If you look around the web some have even puled the breather off the intake and put a small filter on it. Manual says 2 qts of oil but the magic number is 54oz.

Just an FYI

MbfVA

Knowing the harbor freight practice of sourcing their products from different manufacturers in China, I wonder if the size of the sump varies from OEM to OEM. That seems like something that might well vary,  and it's sight unseen for the user until a problem like the smoking problem occurs.

Sharp of you to catch the cause.

Brian_Rhoad

My Kohler K582 will smoke if I don't use a premium oil. It sucks the oil from the crankcase into the breather which vents into the intake.

MbfVA

I'm not a mechanic, but wouldn't thinner oil be more likely to get sucked up, all other things being equal, than heavier oil, maybe pointing to a viscosity problem?

Thank You Sponsors!