iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

LT40 Harbor Freight Predator install?

Started by KirkD, January 12, 2016, 09:29:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ox

Yep.  If the engine can take it, slower is better.  If you halve the RPMs you quadruple the longevity.  This is why the old Lister engines and other slow speed cast iron monsters can run for 30 years non stop (a report of 40 years constant running!) except for maintenance.  650 RPM max just doesn't produce much wear.

x2 about the newer engines needing full throttle....this is how they're made.  The old cast iron engines like a Kohler k321 can take anything above extended idling forever.  The old Onans were pretty rugged as well but I guess parts have dried up, which is unfortunate.  Had an Onan 16hp come in once, wouldn't run smooth.  Found out one valve seat had let loose and so we roughed up the area, punched some dimples in and around it, JB Welded the thing back in, let set for 2 days and fired her up.  Was still running last I heard!  I woulda never believed it, but there it is.  I was there!

I've never seen a small engine rated for anything over 3,600 RPM.  I thought this was the standard. - ?  As in on a 2 pole generator it needs 3600 RPM and on a 4 pole generator it need 1800 RPM.  I realize an AVR (automatic voltage regulator) will compensate some, but there's always a figure that need to be aimed for.

The vertical shaft rider mower engines (newer cheapies) are bushed at the output shaft?  Geez.  I just don't understand how this doesn't wallow that bushing right out.  I've never taken one apart because the newer engines aren't worth rebuilding.  Just R&R the engine with a new one was what was always done. 

K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

KirkD

What are people running the old original Onan that came on this mill? According to the original pulley sizes it must have been at least 3200
Wood-mizer LT40HD-G24 Year 1989

outpost22

Just a bit more info for you.  I have worked on a Horrible Fright Predator engine on their compactors.  I also own 5 Honda GX engines.  Comparing the two, I prefer the Honda.  After talking with other contractors who have Predators, the experience seems to be split 50/50. Half love them and half hate them.  The one I've worked on has been very good and reliable for 4 years and it is abused by the contractor who owns it.  The issue I have with them is their external parts. They are cheaply made and crude.  I have not split the cases on it yet, but have done so with the GX motor from Honda.  The Honda I split the cases on had a few exterior case stress cracks after running a sawmill for 12 years. Other than that the internals looked new.
The larger Predators may be different construction on their externals.  It's hard to ignore the price, that's for sure. 
Creating one more project one at a time.
Burg Bandsaw Mill
Stihl 010
Stihl 210
Stihl 251
Stihl 461
Husky 350
Kubota L3800

Remle

Quote from: KirkD on January 14, 2016, 10:46:11 AM
What are people running the old original Onan that came on this mill? According to the original pulley sizes it must have been at least 3200
3200 to 3400 high and 1800 low per the manual with my G24 Onan.

tomsteve

one thing nice about the hf website is they dont pull negative reviews. i have read quite a few positive reviews of their gas engines on different power equipment forums. two things seem to be common with those that like the engines:
the extended warranty was purchased.
upon initial startup, 10w oil was put in and engine ran for about 15 minutes at low idle. then oil drained and replaced, which using synthetic vs regular motor oil is about a 50/50.

i have a friend with a log splitter with one of the 13hp engines on it. he had to take back two of them. the third one has about 7 years of splitting 15-20 facechord a year on it.
which led us to learn something:
if ya notice with hf they can have the exact same item with a different item number, which the 13hp engine is one of them.
thats due to two different vendors supplying the item. seems there can be a difference in quality between the vendors.

KirkD

Went by HF today and measured the shaft because I was not sure I could trust the picture in the manual. it is 1"X3" or .016 less than 3"

Question is 3" enough to get a 3 grove pulley on?

Kbeitz

Multi grove pulleys do not need shaft support under all the groves.
But I do recommend a long crank bolt to hold it all together.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

mmartone

Heres the one on my mill, alt came off a 3 cyl kubota marine gen. 

Remember, I only know what you guys teach me. Lt40 Manual 22hp KAwaSaki, Husky3120 60", 56" Panther CSM, 372xp, 345xp, Stihl 041, 031, blue homelite, poulans, 340

Ox

I like that alternator setup.  Simple, rugged, effective, easy R&R.  It don't get no better than that!
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

KirkD

Quote from: mmartone on January 16, 2016, 09:34:35 PM
Heres the one on my mill, alt came off a 3 cyl kubota marine gen. 

What size pulley are you driving that alternator with?

KirkD

Got the HF 22HP installed it took about 2 hours to fit it and build a plate to mount it.

Still have to plumb it properly for fuel, rewire it to the LT40 console and build a belt guard.
All in all it is quiet and a smooth running engine.

Darrel

1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

sawmilllawyer

That engine looks right at home on the ole woodmizer. Really like seeing the photographs of your progress with the install.
Stihl MS-361, MS-460 mag, Poulan 2150, 2375 Wildthing.

sandsawmill14

i have had a 6 1/2 hp predator pulling the hydraulics on the b20 for about 650 hrs with no problems yet :) still starts with 1 pull full choke sometimes it might take 2 pulls if its below 20 degrees ;D might be the best 99 bucks i have spent on equipment. also have 1 of them on a portable hyd unit that runs just the same as the older 1 but if left out in the rain uncoverd water will get in around the spark plug just pull the plug out and pull till it dries out then put the plug back in and it starts right up. i should also say that water has never got in the oil  ??? my dad taught me to always put my tools in the shed when i was done but i guess it didnt stick ::)  dadgum you, Charlie!
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

47sawdust

KirkD,
How is the HF retrofit working out for you?
Can you give us an update on your experience?
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Luke_Eames

Today we're replacing our LT-40 G24 Onan 24 hp engine with Wood Mizers Kohler conversation.  For the amount that the mill is run, I feel more comfortable going with an engine that's backed by Wood Mizer.
Wood Mizer LT-70 Super Wide
Wood Mizer EG200
Cat IT18

Magicman

I also favor "dancing with the one that brought me".   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

jaysaint

buy the best  cry only once,  thats why i bought a wood-mizer  i  would rather work than repair ;D
grandburg mill,  stihl 066 husky 562 xp,  felling axe    oh also lt 10

KirkD

Quote from: 47sawdust on March 05, 2016, 08:18:42 AM
KirkD,
How is the HF retrofit working out for you?
Can you give us an update on your experience?
It is still in my shop I have been working my day job so much I only have about 1/2 hour to an hour a night to work on it. The mill had sat so long that I had to pull every electric motor on it apart and clean them. Got all that working and all new electrical connectors in the battery box.
I started to build the brackets for my 110 amp GM alternator last night and hope to work on that later today.  I fire it up and let it run at high idle now and then trying to put a few hours on it to get it freed up. I want to change oil and set valves before I use it at full load.
So no sawdust yet.

47sawdust

Thanks for the update.One thing about going through old equipment and doing repairs you get real familiar before you even start.
Best of luck,you have the right approach as well as the skills.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

KirkD

Got a few more hours into it building a bracket for the alternator. I started to mount it like mmartone did on his in a picture he posted earlier in this thread. Then it dawned on me why he used the spring it was because the alternator would not be moving with the motor when you disengage the drive belt. Decided I did not want it that way and redid my motor mount to allow a bracket to slide under the motor.
So off came the motor one more time.

Still need to do a tensioner just have to find that box of parts that has an old curved small block chevy one in it.

plowboyswr

Quote from: KirkD on March 08, 2016, 05:43:43 PM
Still need to do a tensioner just have to find that box of parts that has an old curved small block chevy one in it.
the old ford ones work also.  ;)
Just an ole farm boy takin one day at a time.
Steve

KirkD

Quote from: plowboyswr on March 08, 2016, 06:13:56 PM
Quote from: KirkD on March 08, 2016, 05:43:43 PM
the old ford ones work also.  ;)
Needs to be orange :D

sandsawmill14

put a ford part on there and it will be broken down all time  ;D ;) ford= found on road dead  :D :D :D  sorry i couldnt resist ;D ::)
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

Thank You Sponsors!