iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Dead truck

Started by Darrel, January 11, 2016, 08:56:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darrel

My 2007 classic Silvarado went to the happy sawmill towing road in the sky, duramax diesel and all, a very sad day at Darrel's place.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Magicman

???  Well, there has to be a story. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

What happen Darrel?   say_what
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

samandothers

Do tell!   :-\  As the owner of same year Chevy truck (last half of the year) I am a bit curious.. ::)

Darrel

We were on our way to our daughter's house for Thanksgiving and when we got to the top of the pass on the North Warner Mountains just east of Lakeview OR we found ourselves on black ice, hit the ditch, bounced out and hit it again. Was only going about 40 mph. Which was fine on the snow but the black ice was different. Drove on to our daughter's in the salt lake area.  Had to hold the top of the steering wheel at about 10 o'clock after that to make it go down the road straight.  Put it in the shop here in Utah and just got the news today that it was totaled.

When it happened, the daddy chihuahua kept right on sleeping but the momma chihuahua had a bleeding head.  The cat yowled for the next ten miles.  My wife, Vera was sore for a few days as was I.  We are all fine now, we had Someone looking out for us. 
1992 LT40HD

4x4American

Glad everyone made it out ok.  Trucks are replaceable, especially Chevrolet's lol
Boy, back in my day..

hacknchop

Glad to hear your all gonna be ok.Bad things happen to good people and trucks are replacable but loved ones are not.Hope its all smooth sailing from now on. Take care.
Often wrong never indoubt

sandhills

Very good to hear everyone is ok, my stepson and I drove across Iowa on Christmas eve to his uncles, the amount of wrecks we saw in about 100 or so miles was amazing but not nearly as frightening as the one that happened right in front of us.  Things happen really fast when ice is involved  :-\.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Glad you and your family are fine Darrel.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

samandothers

Glad to hear you were o k. Sorry about the truck.  But now you can go shopping!

WV Sawmiller

Darrel,

Glad you and the family are okay. Black ice scares the crap out of me living here in the mountains. Hitting black ice at 40 mph is unimaginable to me.

My son totaled a 2008 Dodge Ram coming home at midnight off swing shift a few years back. Hit packed snow/ice, slid into a snow bank and it laid him over on the driver's side. He was not hurt and the wrecker service was only a few hundred yards away. To make things worse he got his title in the mail the next day as he had just made his last payment on it.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

:o  Everyone being OK is the important thing.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

dgdrls

Glad all of you are O.K.

It's Just a truck,  they make plenty of them.

Best
Dan

Darrel

Thanks for all the good thoughts.

This is high desert country where we wrecked, elevation just under 6,000 ft and no cell service.  The snow on the road was dry and powdery, it was blowing up behind me like a dust cloud on a summer day. We came over the top of the pass and everything changed.  I was able to back out of the ditch and get back up on the road.  There was a pretty wide shoulder there so I was out surveying the damage and a farmer (no a rancher, I'm a farmer) pulled up in his F450 and asked if we were ok and I told that we were and that the truck was drivable.  He went on his way and a few minutes later we took off.  Wen we got down to the bottom of the hill, he was parked by the road with his hood up so we stopped to check on him.   He said that he had lost his water pump and that help was already on the way.

And yes, I get to or have to, depending on how I'm feeling at the moment, go shopping.  If I buy a used truck and go a few years older, it looks like I'll be able to get a truck with fewer miles and still have 3 or 4k to put in my pocket.  So it looks like that will work out ok too.  Just have to find one that has been taken care of.
1992 LT40HD

samandothers

It was a little over a year ago I traded my 2004 Duramax (first series engine) for the 2007.5 I have now.  I am pleased with it.  We dropped from about 300k miles to 94k.  The 04 was needing a 3rd set of injectors and this set was going to be on me and not GM.

Sorry you have to go shopping but the hunt is fun. Hope you find a nice vehicle.

Kbeitz

Totaled and still drivable  ? So what was wrong with it ?
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Darrel

Bent frame and everything else bent a little here and there.
1992 LT40HD

timberlinetree

Glad you all are ok! Watch out for flood trucks. I just not knowing bought one :-\!
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

sandhills

Quote from: timberlinetree on January 17, 2016, 07:41:18 AM
Glad you all are ok! Watch out for flood trucks. I just not knowing bought one :-\!
Been there done that, the one I bought did have a new engine but you wouldn't believe all the mud and crud I washed out of the entire drive train, on the plus side (I guess) I did have a brand new '83 when I got done  ::)

Darrel

Flood trucks are something to look out for, that is for sure. 

Speaking of flood trucks, I watched a drunk guy try to launch his boat once.  He backed down the boat ramp and couldn't find the break pedal. Boat floated away and the truck drowned and he almost did.
1992 LT40HD

Weekend_Sawyer

I'm happy to hear that you guys came out OK. Sorry about your truck, 07' and 08' were very good years for the Duramax I have been told.
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Darrel

Replaced the dead truck today with a 2009 Silvarado 2500 long bed, bright red in color.
1992 LT40HD

Weekend_Sawyer

I just picked up a 13' red Silverado. Great minds and all that...

Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Darrel

1992 LT40HD

samandothers

Had to re read these last several posts.  Two new red Chevy's my  my!   Nice.  6.0 liters?

Thank You Sponsors!