iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Beginner - Coiling Blades

Started by flatlander, October 12, 2004, 12:34:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flatlander

I am having a difficult time learning the proper technique for coiling bandsaw blades. Any suggestions or references would be greatly appreciated.

Gilman

Gloves, Denim jacket, face shield and practice. Think, "pop and twist" to get the blade to start curling. Starting the curl is the hardest part. After a while you'll be able to fold them up without gloves.  I still wear my safety glasses though.

Good luck
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

sparks

Send me your email address and I'll send you our documentation (with pictures) on how to coil the blade.  Thanks
\"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.\" Abraham Lincoln

MrMoo

Flatlander,
Wellcome to the forum.

My bands are kind of big at a bit over 19' so I can't do it in my hands. My approach is to take it over to the grass so I won't get dirt on it. I hold it so one end is on the ground & the other above my head (this would not be as high with a shorter band). I put one foot on the band on the ground. Then I take the other end above my head & turn it. This causes the loops to form. In my case one full revolution does it.

Do wear saftey glass & gloves though.

Mike

Gilman

Mr Moo,
You have photos posted of you mill?
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

flatlander

Your responces are much appreciated. Blade coiling has been a "hit or miss" thing for me. I would especially like to thank Sparks for the document you sent. Hopefully the wounds will be minimal as I perfect my technique.

Tom

Dad-gummit!   I buy you books and buy you books!   :P :D :D :D

Look in the knowledge base under milling-bandsaws. :)

EZ

The one Baker guy at the PB show coil a blade up in a split second and did the same uncoiling it and the blade never hit the grown. I was very impressed.
EZ

Bibbyman

It was way back in the spring of '94 when I got my training from Wood-Mizer.   One of the first things we did in the blade training session was to learn how to flip blades.  It was a pretty scary time with 6 guys standing in a circle trying to fold and unfold blades.   I think it'd be about like being in a tank full of sharks!

Here is a link to the instructions Tom was good enough to put out on the Knowledge base.   Lot of stuff out there.

Knowlege Base - Coiling a band saw blade

Here is Sidney Jones - Wood-Mizer blade guy at the WM service center in Mt. Vernon, MO. giving a one-on-one instructions to this gentelman.

P.S.   Flipin' blades is another reason Pro-Sawyer Mary keeps me around.  Her arms are too short!  She unfolds them by pitching them in a grassy spot and turning her back.   She just hangs the used ones on the wall until I get around to coiling them back up.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Paschale

That information in the knowledge base was good to read.  I've yet to coil a blade on my WM, but with my bandsaw, I use the technique described in Lonnie Bird's Bandsaw Book.  Basically, with that technique, you set the blade in front of you, such that part of it is touching the shop floor/ground.  You place one foot on that spot, keeping it firmly fixed to the ground.  You then take the top of the blade (with gloves on) and twist your hand clockwise twice.  This forms the three loops, and they all sort of nest together quite nicely.  A little shaking around, and the loops find some equilibrium in size, and you're good to go.  It works very well for me, even on my one inch blade.  I'm not sure how well it would work on the bandmill blades.

Here's a link to my current method, with pictures.

http://www.woodmagazine.com/wood/story.jhtml?storyid=/templatedata/wood/story/data/449.xml&catref=wd16

Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

Bibbyman

I've been shown another method that you may have to use with thicker and wider blades.  

That is....

Hold the loop with teeth up like you would with the flip method and then push one end against a log or something similar (i.e. not someone you like) and then push into the log while putting a twisting and lifting motion with the wrists.  This helps break the blade over and then coil it much the same way as the simple flip method.

I've practices this method a couple of times and ain't got the hang of it.   Maybe I'm too old to learn new tricks. :-/
Sawing since '94

RMay

Bibby man thats the way I do the 055 blades  ::) Tom had a good post on unfolding a coiled blade also .
RMay in Okolona Arkansas  Sawing since 2001 with a 2012 Wood-Miser LT40HDSD35-RA  with Command Control and Accuset .

Bibbyman

Yea,  I can't flip the .055s.   At least without a lot of effort and failures.   I just didn't want people to think I was a wimp.  But if you can't do the .055s,  then I don't feel so bad.   (I bet Arky can flip and .055 in each hand!) :D
Sawing since '94

Grawulf

AWWWWWW  Tommy said a curse word  :o I'm tellin' Mom! And it wasn't even the official cuss word of the FF!!!! I'm tellin' Mom - I'm tellin' Mom!!!!!!  :D

Murf

I was always taught (not on quite so long ones mind you) to hold the blade same as the feller in the picture up above, but with the outside edge against something, then just bring both hands up, over and in at the elbows, it all snaps in and together in one motion.

Undoing them is another story, best way I have ever found was to just accidentally drop them, gauranteed to open 'em every time!!  :D :D
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

Bigdogpc

I got a butcher to show me how to coil mine.  I ain't fast, it ain't pretty, I use gloves and I get the job done.

Tom

The knowledge base has a note on how to un-coil one too, Murf. :D

Opening a coiled blade  :) :)

I must be slippin', Grawulf  :D :D :D

RacinRex

My first two were quite a treat. Safety equipment is a must. It definately helps to be long of limb (I'm 6'1" and 240lbs) but if you follow the techniques that the fine folks here have supplied it works and after I got the hang of it now I can't really describe how I do it... just grab it give it a twist and throw a piece of twine around each side of the loops.
81 Massey Ferguson 275 W/ loader
Stihl 046
Simplicity Bandmill
04 Dodge 2500 4x4 Quad Cab CTD
A whole shop full of wood working tools
and this is my hobby :)

Jeff

I still remember what Kevin changed his user text to a few years ago, the week he got his lt15.

"blood brother to the lt15"  :D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Murf

I recall a cousin of mine taking the blade off the old cordwood buzzsaw to sharpen it. He was told to do it on the saw, but wanted to take it inside and do it in the warm. He dropped it when it poked him in the hand. Murphy's Law kicked in and it wobbled and flopped and rolled all the way down the yard... right into the pond. :D :D :D

When his Dad found out he made him go in after it, the water was just barely above freezing.  :o

He did it, but he thought he had two belly-buttons for weeks. :-[
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

Buzz-sawyer

"He did it, but he thought he had two belly-buttons for weeks"
 :o :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Thank You Sponsors!