iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pole Barn Questions

Started by highway, January 11, 2016, 09:08:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

highway

Good morning all, I am planning a new machine shed project for the spring and have historically poured Alaskan slabs for foundations. This shed will be 12x30 with a 4' overhang.

My question is in regards to setting poles in the earth below frost elevation and what success you may have had doing this. It would be cheaper than concrete but I am afraid with the clay soils in my location if it would still heave a great deal?

I also investigated the pre cast concrete piers but they would be as expensive as the concrete slab.

Thanks in advance,

Ed

2006 Woodmizer LT 40 Hydraulic, Kubota M4900 4WD, Kawasaki Mule, Team of Belgian Drafts for real horse power
www.fletcher-farm.com

Jim_Rogers

There is a method you could consider using.

It is called the short pole system.

There are drawings of this in this post:

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,20380.msg290955.html#msg290955

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

limbwood

We have a 42" frostline, and dig holes 48" deep, put in 6" cement, drill hole for 12" rebar 6" up from bottom of pole, set pole, put in 12" cement, fill to top with gravel for drainage. Don't have any poblems.

highway

Interesting Idea on the short pole design. We have a 48" frost line and I am worried about the poles being heaved by the frost.

Quote from: limbwood on January 11, 2016, 09:35:25 AM
We have a 42" frostline, and dig holes 48" deep, put in 6" cement, drill hole for 12" rebar 6" up from bottom of pole, set pole, put in 12" cement, fill to top with gravel for drainage. Don't have any poblems.

So to clarify, you drill the bottom of the post to accept the rebar? How do you drill the 6" of concrete in the bottom of the hole?
2006 Woodmizer LT 40 Hydraulic, Kubota M4900 4WD, Kawasaki Mule, Team of Belgian Drafts for real horse power
www.fletcher-farm.com

grweldon

I believe he means to drill a hole 6" from the bottom of the post for a 12" long piece of rebar to fit in to, then put the post in the hole and cover with concrete.  This helps with updraft protection...
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

Dakota

To me, what he meant was, pour 6" of concrete in the bottom of a 48" hole and put a 12" piece of re bar in the center of the cement.  Let it set up.  Drill a 6" length hole in the pole, place the pole in the hole with the re bar in the end of the pole.  Pour in 12" of concrete around the pole in the bottom of the hole.  Then fill the rest of the hole with gravel.  In theory, the 12" of concrete won't rot the pole because it can't breathe and the gravel will drain off the water at ground level. 
Dave Rinker

grweldon

I forgot how to tag somebody in a post, otherwise I would tag "limbwood" and ask him to clarify...
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

limbwood

You drill the hole sideways and put rebar in before you drop pole in hole, level post to strings, put in cement to cover rebar, this makes a anchor on bottom of pole to keep frost from grabbing sides of pole and heaving up. We use a 20" auger to drill holes. If you have 48" frostline I would drill 54" deep holes. Here the code say you can bolt 2 2x6x12" on each side of post at bottom instead of rebar.

beenthere

grweldon

We don't "tag" someone who is already posting in the thread. Boss threatened to remove the feature because that was happening.

"tag" someone when they are not posting in the thread, as an invite to get involved for their contribution.

But the "@" sign in front of the forum name (exactly as it is) will "tag" them.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

highway

Thanks for the clarification.
It makes sense now.

Ed
www.fletcher-farm.com

grweldon

Quote from: beenthere on January 12, 2016, 09:39:57 AM
grweldon

We don't "tag" someone who is already posting in the thread. Boss threatened to remove the feature because that was happening.

"tag" someone when they are not posting in the thread, as an invite to get involved for their contribution.

But the "@" sign in front of the forum name (exactly as it is) will "tag" them.

Alrighty then!

Fundyheather

Then there's the 'Glad' method - punch the pole through a Glad garbage bag, wrap and staple it around the pole to extend just above grade.  Idea is the frost grabs the bag instead of the pole, sun can't destroy the layers of buried bag extending 3' underground, and the open bottom lets the water through. 

Make sure to use a genuine Glad garbage bag, though.  Don't wanna scrimp on your foundation!       

Brad_bb

I have 4 Morton building pole barns on my farm.  A few years ago I had to repair posts on one I was working on.  All the posts, treated or not will rot at ground level within about 25 years. So was was closing in an open 15x45 room on the end of the pole barn that was build for cattle to come in. Before closing it in and insulating it, I had to repair the outside posts which were rotted at ground level.  While not a fun job, I repaired the post bottoms with new treated material (3 sistered 2x8's staggered), I then covered the post bottom  with a Post protector.

You don't want a post protector where rain can get in the top, but a post that will be inside will allow any moisture to evaporate out the top and not get any moisture from the ground.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Bruno of NH

Ed I have used a similar way to Limbwoods.
It works well in tough soils of NH
I back fill with hard pack .
Bruno
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Thank You Sponsors!