iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Coffee Anyone?

Started by YellowHammer, January 10, 2016, 09:44:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YellowHammer

The best thing is that I bought these logs for $0.55 per bdft and I've already got people in line waiting for the boards at about $5 per bdft, assuming I can dry them alright.  I've got some customers who always ask for something special, and the rarity of this wood around here gives it value.  Somehow, not quite by accident ;), I managed to stack the logs pretty close to where the customers park (we had about 40 this Saturday), and several of them spotted the unusual logs right off and said they wanted the boards.   
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: kantuckid on January 11, 2016, 06:03:50 PM

AZ has coffee trees, hmmm...

Nope, but Missouri does. ;D 8) 8) 8) :snowball:
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

kantuckid

Quote from: mesquite buckeye on January 11, 2016, 11:32:41 PM
Quote from: kantuckid on January 11, 2016, 06:03:50 PM

AZ has coffee trees, hmmm...

Nope, but Missouri does. ;D 8) 8) 8) :snowball:
I know MO pretty well as my people are from the Ozarks years ago. Tuscon in MO threw me...
Sass. is said to be a carcinogen. When I worked in a grocery (59-65) in Topeka,KS we sold sass. chips in a little net bag in produce from a commercial source. To make the tea you use the root. I made sass chips for my wifes KY g-ma years ago. I'd dig a small one up and wash the roots then took the cleaned, trimmed root and ran it over my jointer blade & caught the chips for her.
the wood is very brash in woodworking. I made jewelry boxes for a sawmill friend from some for him.
Good catch to come up with that much coffee tree! I see them on I-roadsides at times. 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

pineywoods

Never seen a coffee tree here, never even heard of one..But that lumber looks just like chinaberry....
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

mesquite buckeye

Wikipedia has an excellent article:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kentucky_coffeetree

Note that this species Gymnocladus dioicus belongs in the legume family. That makes it a relative of familiar midwestern trees: black locust, honeylocust, and yellow wood. It is, however, in the Caesalpinoid legume subfamily, which makes it a closer relative of palo verdes and tropical bauhinias. Honeylocust is closer to mesquite and acacias, while black locust and yellow wood are more closely related to garden peas and beans. FYI just for fun. ;D 8) 8) 8) :snowball:
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Banjo picker

Quote from: YellowHammer on January 11, 2016, 11:12:54 PM
Somehow, not quite by accident ;), I managed to stack the logs pretty close to where the customers park (we had about 40 this Saturday), and several of them spotted the unusual logs right off and said they wanted the boards.   

Smart move. ;)   Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

WDH

YH,

You could sell snake oil from the Snake Oil Tree  ;D. 

At $12 per liquid foot  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I have Piedmont Goat Wood at $300.00 a slab. Has a smell to it but beautiful grains and lots of pith.  ;D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Deese

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on January 12, 2016, 04:18:24 PM
I have Piedmont Goat Wood at $300.00 a slab. Has a smell to it but beautiful grains and lots of pith.  ;D

Goat, I will drive over there and buy a few of those goatwood slabs after I win the Powerball lottery tomorrow night.
2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

WDH

lots of pith.  ;D

That is you in a nutshell (old saying)  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Deese on January 12, 2016, 04:36:46 PM

Goat, I will drive over there and buy a few of those goatwood slabs after I win the Powerball lottery tomorrow night.

I'm playing the Lottery too. If I win, I will be helping out a lot of you guys on here.....just the ones that have been kind to me.  ;D

Nomad

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on January 12, 2016, 07:11:09 PM

I'm playing the Lottery too. If I win, I will be helping out a lot of you guys on here.....just the ones that have been kind to me.  ;D

So...  You're saying the entire Forestry Forum are on our own? :snowball: ;D
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

strunk57

That is for sure KY coffee tree, I have saw a few of these on the halves, I sold my clear lumber for $6. I have one in the yard now, it's 26" but only 5' long. Makes beautiful lumber and easy to work once dry.
99 timberking b-20. John deere 450c loader. 79 Chevy c-60 95 GMC 2500, Craftsman tablesaw, Dewalt 735 13" planer, stihl ms-290 Stihl 029, Husqvarna 394xp, dewalt router & table, various sanders/hand tools.

Deese

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on January 12, 2016, 07:11:09 PM

That's right, buddy! Hehehe!

2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

PC-Urban-Sawyer

David,

Maybe less pith would lead to less smell...

Herb

POSTON WIDEHEAD

OffGrid973

If you spilt the 1.5 billion with your goat, is the goat tax higher than 39% we tax paying morons have to deal with.  I am thinking we let the "The Goat Strikes Back" claim it and pay the government nothing :)

#FavoriteGoatGameLastYear
Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: cwimer973 on January 12, 2016, 09:53:26 PM
If you spilt the 1.5 billion with your goat, is the goat tax higher than 39% we tax paying morons have to deal with.  I am thinking we let the "The Goat Strikes Back" claim it and pay the government nothing :)

#FavoriteGoatGameLastYear

Goats are extinct exempt.  ;D

yukon cornelius

We have one kentucky coffee bean tree on us. One I know of anyway. We identified it by the odd pods with big bean things inside. Some time I am want to collect a bunch and try to make "coffee"
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

Tom the Sawyer

Read up on the toxicity issue with KFT pods. You want it to perk you up, not put you down.

I have milled a few Kentucky Coffeetree logs.  The most obvious characteristic, around here, is that the sapwood is so narrow, usually about 1/4".  The only contrasting sapwood I have seen that is that narrow.  Anyone know of another species with such narrow sapwood?
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

5quarter

Tom...mulberry comes to mind.  ;)

YH...I've sawn plenty of coffee wood. They planted them in landscapes like crazy back in the 50's and 60's but I don't recall any growing in the woods. It's one of the nicest woods to work with. growing habit is straight with few knots, as hard as white oak, easier to dry than walnut and machines and finishes very well. I get between
$6-$8.bf and have no trouble selling it on a project. It doesn't look like you'll have any trouble either.  ;)
Also, coffee wood around here is also called deadwood, probably because it's the latest to leaf out and the first to drop its leaves in the fall.
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

WDH

Quote from: Tom the Sawyer on January 12, 2016, 11:20:45 PM
The only contrasting sapwood I have seen that is that narrow.  Anyone know of another species with such narrow sapwood?

Black locust, also a legume. 

dustyhat

Having the last name ( Coffey ) and living in Kentucky, you would think i had my very own ky coffee tree :D

dboyt

KY Coffeetree is the only species I know of with alternate, bi-pinnately compound leaves.  I don't see many of them in the woods, though.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Thank You Sponsors!