iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lung cancer screening

Started by Larry, January 10, 2016, 04:22:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry

My Doc made me aware of a fairly new process for lung cancer screening last week.  Similar to a colonoscopy with none of the dreaded prep.  Said the test enables lung cancer to be identified in the early stages with much better chance of a cure.  First time I ever heard of such a thing.

Medicare pays for it provided....

People with Part B who meet all of these conditions:
They're 55-77.
They're asymptomatic (they don't have signs or symptoms of lung cancer).
They're either a current smoker or have quit smoking within the last 15 years.  (I quit 12 years ago)
They have a tobacco smoking history of at least 30 "pack years" (an average of one pack a day for 30 years).
They get a written order from their physician or qualified non-physician practitioner.

I suppose other insurance may also pay.

My research found the only downside as a lot of false positives.  I'm not sure of the accuracy of my statement.

In any case, since I'm at risk I thought I would get the test.  Doc said the whole thing takes about an hour with a ride through the cat scan. 

Thought I would post for the information of other folks.  If you have a comment please post.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Roxie

That's certainly interesting.  You'll have to let us know what the procedure was like.  Seems odd that you have to have a smoking history, because I know of four people that had lung cancer, and three of them never smoked and weren't living with a smoker. 

Say when

Chuck White

Quote from: Roxie on January 10, 2016, 05:09:20 PM
That's certainly interesting.  You'll have to let us know what the procedure was like.  Seems odd that you have to have a smoking history, because I know of four people that had lung cancer, and three of them never smoked and weren't living with a smoker.

This seems like it would be a good exam for a lot of people.

Roxie; I think the requirement for a smoking history has to be from the tobacco companies who are likely paying for a big part of the tests in the first place.

Just a guess!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

WV Sawmiller

Roxie,

My older brother had lung cancer and never smoked a day in his life. As far as I know radiation and chemo knocked it out.

Dad was a heavy smoker and I don't know if second hand smoke was a factor or not. I remember miserable trips to see my grandparents in the winter or rain back when we were kids and back before we had a/c in any of our cars and could not roll the window down for fresh air. He has worked at a paper mill for 35+ years which likely did not help.

Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Roxie

Ahhh, the tobacco companies paying toward the testing is something I didn't consider. 

Of the four people that I've known with it, only one of the non-smokers is still alive, and he was diagnosed early and part of his lung removed.  His was caught early because he had a horrific cough and followed through with his doctor. 

Say when

elk42

I have a friend that had lung cancer and it was squamous cell carcinoma. He is a smoker and his doc. said that 25% of cancer was from smoking. 
Machinist Retired, Lt15 WM 25 HP, Stihl 044, Stihl 311, Kubota M2900w/FEL, KUBOTA L4800 w/FEL,
Lincoln Ranger 10,000, stihl 034,

submarinesailor

Back when I first started riding submarines, everybody smoked, or so it seemed, and I have often wondered if the second hand smoke has affected my lungs in anyway.  And I know it didn't help any being stationed on 2 of them though shipyard overhauls.  The first one was particularly dirty for the lungs because there was almost no PPE back in the early 70's. 

I have also wondered if all the running I did, in a major metro area, in the late 80's helped or hindered any.  Did 7 miles a day clean all that crap out or did the smog just add to it?  Don't even get me started about asbestos monitoring.  Every 2 to 3 years I have to ask for a chest x-ray to check for ...stuff ::) ::)......retired military medicine ::) ::).

Sorry, these are a few things that sit in the very back of my head and come forward when I read things like this.

doctorb

Low dose CT scan of the lungs.  Quick.  Very accurate.  Can find things that may or may not need furtehr investigation.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Ljohnsaw

As a kid growing up in the late 60's - early 70's, I remember a pack of cigarettes being about 15 cents.  When I was "of smoking age", it was something like 25 cents and I thought "what a waste of money".  California keeps adding taxes to fund research and treatment.  I think a pack is upwards of $4.50-5.00 now!  So, I would think there is a LOT of money available for testing.  I didn't read the props, so I'm not sure of the restrictions on how it is spent.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Brucer

Sold some wood to an old friend last fall, who I hadn't seen for a few years. It was a shock to seem him. He told me he was diagnosed with terminal lung cancer and they gave him two years to live -- and that was 4 years ago. This guy never smoked a day in his life, never lived with a smoker, and was very fit.  ??? ???

It seems that we all hear about smoking and lung cancer, but there are 3 other culprits: Radon gas, Asbestos, and Uranium mining.

Radon is the not-so-obvious one. It's given off by rocks, so it could be beneath your house, or even in the concrete in your foundations. It never used to be a big problem but with modern air-tight houses it has become a real concern. Testing and proper ventilation are the best ways to deal with it.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

doctorb

Brucer-

You're correct about radon.  After cigarette smoking, radon is listed as the second leading cause of lung cancer, believed to be responsible for 5 - 14% of all lung cancers.  But the statistics regarding the risk of lung cancer secondary to radon exposure are quite interesting.  If you have never smoked, the risk of developing lung cancer is low.  Not zero, but low.  The risk of developing lung cancer secondary to chronic exposure to radon changes dramatically if you have a history of smoking.  See this link below for more info.

http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/csem/csem.asp?csem=8&po=7
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Magicman

I had my "wellness" checkup this morning and the nurse was very insistent about asking me if I smoked, or had ever smoked.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

OffGrid973

Lost my brother in his 30's and he never smoked a day in his life.  Enjoyed his booze and food but if that causes cancer I can't help to think there is a lot of voodoo in everything.

In my opinion, eat healthy if it makes you feel better, saw slabs if it's cheaper then paying someone $60 an hour to listen to your problems. If you are on the fence go to www.BrwRelay.com and check out an event we run that you can also host in your home town to help fight back against this terrible disease.  Also, lots of information on Cancer.org about local groups, tests, costs and the ability to receive support for those currently battling.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=71kGiIxUN80 (miss Keith every day)
Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

Roxie

First let me say how sorry I am that you lost your brother.  He sounds like my kind of guy inventing au jus and bourbon.  I'm going to try that tonight. 

The video ends before the winner is known, so, did he win? 
Say when

OffGrid973

The Au Jus is my favorite part, besides Bloomington Indiana :)

He ended up winning and this is actually the last video I have of him, what a great memory.

I appreciate your comments,
-Chris
Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

Greyhound

Quote from: Chuck White on January 10, 2016, 07:48:42 PM
Quote from: Roxie on January 10, 2016, 05:09:20 PM

This seems like it would be a good exam for a lot of people.

Roxie; I think the requirement for a smoking history has to be from the tobacco companies who are likely paying for a big part of the tests in the first place.

Just a guess!

Good thought, but, nope.  The smoking history is to screen for the highest risk patients.  In statistical terminology, it is to increase the "pre-test probability" or "prevalence" in order to maximize the "positive predictive value" of the test. This makes a "positive" screening test result more likely be a "true positive" cancer rather than a "false positive" not cancer.  This is the same reason that we do mammograms only on women.  If we did them on men (low prevalence of breast cancer in men), most of the "positive" screening results would wind up being not cancer, i.e. false positives. 

Roxie

Welcome to the forum Greyhound! 
Say when

Larry

Arrived at the clinic at 9 AM last Thursday and was done at 9:45.  Typical CT scan with no prep and no pain.  Three experienced doctors review the results.  Nurse called this morning and gave me the green light.  Go back every year I guess until I hit 77.

Absolutely no cost, no pain, and very little time.  Makes good sense for you ex-smokers to get it done.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

beenthere

Is 75 the magic number when they (gov't and health ins. co.) turn your care "off" ??  Seems to be we're going to be on our own after that age.
Probably makes good business sense.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Larry

The 75 thing should have been 77...I corrected my last post.  Its a Medicare thing and I can only speculate on the reason.

Roxie

Very happy about your results!   8)
Say when

beenthere

Above 77 is the discard pile...
south central Wisconsin

Thank You Sponsors!