iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

207 Timberjack..Repair or replace?

Started by gump, January 09, 2016, 11:23:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gump

I haven't cut any merchantable wood on my woodlot for about 15 years or so now!! I have been concentrating on pre merchantable thinning type treatments and firewood extraction. I am now getting ready to start cutting wood again! YAHOO!! I still own a 1967 207 Timberjack skidder and a Nokka 29 trailer and loader. The problem is that they haven't turned a wheel for about 15 years!! I am in no big hurry to start hauling wood around as I mainly want to start by clearing a few acres for a portable sawmill building, a house and a few out buildings for equipment etc.. I can move that wood around with an excavator for now!!
I was back to the skidder today and boy does it need work!! First the transmission is seized, both of them, so I can't really tell if the motor is free either! There is oil & fluids in all the parts. I don't mind a winter project however at the end of the day  is it crazy to rebuild ( the entire machine!!) or just I just look for an old skidded to buy?? Nokka needs work as well. Is this just a crap shoot?? I'm not sure where to start except to pull the transmission look inside and make a decision after that?? Any input is welcomed.

47sawdust

If you have time,patience and money I would rebuild.If not advertise for sale either as a package or separate.Can't tell much from the pictures but both units look rebuildable.You also know the history which is worth a lot right there.
There are several timber tramps who have rebuilt worse.Lots of knowledge and experience.
Good luck to ya.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Puffergas

Jeff
Somewhere 20 miles south of Lake Erie.

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

gump

Yes, all was working fine. I was using it everyday when forest industry took a major downturn here I ended up parking it and went through a career change. Now I just want to use it for personal use as a near future  retirement plan and to cut only about 20 cords a month on the average. But it hasn't moved since!! If I think I can get it working for under $5,000 I'm in!

OntarioAl

Your biggest enemy with things sitting stationary that long is water.
I would not despair, cover the skidder with a tarp and apply a heat source and thaw it out  I think you will find water has gotten into your transmissions.
over the years and they are frozen   
Warm it up and drain all the fluids (engine oil fuel filters fuel tank the differentials and planetary housings also include the hydraulic reservoirs)
Once you get it fired up some of the hydraulic lines may fail having rotted in the sun for 15 years.
My thoughts on this
Al

Al Raman

Brleclaire

I'm with Ontario Al.  Your tranny got water in it and is froze. Can you get to the drain plug and pull it to see if any oil come out or if . ice is in there. Just because she's old and rough don't mean she can't pull wood

gump

I don't she is frozen now.., but I am sure it was at one point during the last 15 years! I drained some oil out of the transmission and transfer case today. I think I am going to pull the transmission and see if the motor is seized (Ford Senator 254)! I am hopeful and fingers are crossed. Then I can get the transmission in the garage and have a look see whats up with that.

ehp

Gump , machine looks pretty good to just not fix it up , if at all possible get the machine inside where its got heat and once she warms up drain the water off and see how bad it really is

Gearbox

I would say that if you have ice in any of the boxes DO NOT TRY TO MOVE IT . There is to much old stuff that could be broken and be hard to find parts for . Why take a chance wait for spring or heat it in place .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

BargeMonkey

That is neat looking.  ;)  little hard to back up ?

bushmechanic

Well it's like the old saying.... the devil you know is better than the one you don't. I would pull the gearboxes and strip them down because you are going to need bearings for sure. Then try and get the engine started. If it runs and moves after this check all the other fluids then use it. 20 cord a month isn't very much, I've seen guys move that around here with a ATV, but it will be a lot better with that loader.If you have to invest into a seal kit after that won't break you. 

gump

Quote from: BargeMonkey on January 09, 2016, 11:42:27 PM
That is neat looking.  ;)  little hard to back up ?
Not really, it is a long unit however. Once you get used to the two articulating points its easy, just need a bit of room.
Quote from: bushmechanic on January 10, 2016, 06:57:17 AM
Well it's like the old saying.... the devil you know is better than the one you don't. I would pull the gearboxes and strip them down because you are going to need bearings for sure. Then try and get the engine started. If it runs and moves after this check all the other fluids then use it. 20 cord a month isn't very much, I've seen guys move that around here with a ATV, but it will be a lot better with that loader.If you have to invest into a seal kit after that won't break you. 
That is my plan. I will turn it over by hand once transmissions are out to see if it is seized. Haha about the ATV, as thats what I've been using for the last few years , but just small wood, mainly firewood.

timberlinetree

I would fix it and run it . Whether the amount of work it can do or the resale value you can get you  should be ahead any way you slice it or dice it
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

coxy

you will never find a set up like that for 5k or even 10k like others said fix it you know what you have im shur for 5k you can get it working again  jmop

Puffergas

I hate selling and buying equipment so fix it and enjoy the fruits of your labor...
Jeff
Somewhere 20 miles south of Lake Erie.

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

gump

Update:  transmissions were not seized just the shift lever rail. I got the motor to turn over, but haven't tried starting it yet. Long story short I ended up purchasing a Timberjack 230 which is in great shape for cheap. Just tires alone for the 207 ( if I were to replace them) cost a few dollars. So now I will plumb up the 230 to pull my trailer. looking forward to getting back to the woodlot this winter. Im back baby!! woot woot!

coxy

good to hear your back at it some of the parts off the 207 should be the same  good luck with your new toy  8) 8) 8)

thecfarm

I always wanted one of those loader/trailers,but now I cut just about all small wood.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

gump

Update..
Sold the skidded to a friend who fixed her up. Working it on his woodlot now. I ended up replacing it with a TJ230D. I kept the trailer and currently getting ready to "plumb up" the 230. I replaced all the hydraulic lines ( steel & rubber) and mounted the valve bank on the trailer behind the loader[/img]

barbender

Too many irons in the fire

bushmechanic

Good job on fixing that old 207! Gump how about some pic's of the new ride 230?

teakwood

Nice skidder! what's up with the T-Rex  frontblade??
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

gump

Quote from: teakwood on March 16, 2018, 07:20:57 PM
Nice skidder! what's up with the T-Rex  frontblade??
I think the previous owner welded the teeth on to make pushing up logs a little easier and also for pushing brush, but just my best guess.

GRANITEstateMP

Sharp 230, how bout some pics with the trailer hooked up???
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

Satamax

Gump, i'm sorry to say, but, it's a shame to let any piece of equipment rot in the woods for 15 years! 
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

Thank You Sponsors!