iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl MS 461

Started by CabinFever, January 07, 2016, 08:23:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CabinFever

Hey guys I posted a while back for the first time on here and the responses were awesome! Thank you.  I am posting this time because I have decided to buy a Stihl ms 461.  I am curious to any last minute inputs or suggestions.  If you have one what would you recommend that I buy in accommodation with this chainsaw?  Also, I live in Minnesota...so do you have any insight on adjustments for running cold weather vs warm weather?  Besides the basic maintenance do you have any suggestions for maintenance that needs to be done less frequently?  And anything else that relates to running new saw, as I have never owned a brand new one before.

Thanks,

Daniel

CTYank

Rule #1 with any chainsaw: KEEP the cutters sharp. Best way to do that- file it. Chain filing has always been a very valuable skill. Grinding chain nowhere as good, useful for rocked chains.
'72 blue Homelite 150
Echo 315, SRM-200DA
Poulan 2400, PP5020, PP4218
RedMax GZ4000, "Mac" 35 cc, Dolmar PS-6100
Husqy 576XP-AT
Tanaka 260 PF Polesaw, TBC-270PFD, ECS-3351B
Mix of mauls
Morso 7110

pwheel

The MS461 is an excellent saw, but my question is its intended use. I've got an MS460 w/25" b/c, and it only offers advantages once I'm into 24" ΓΈ wood or larger, which isn't that often. It's basically a logging saw. Otherwise, the manual that comes with it is fairly explicit about maintenance. Otherwise, adjust the chain tension carefully, lubricate the clutch drum needle bearing often, run a 25" bar w/full comp semi-chisel chain on it for hardwood, and keep the chain sharp and depth gauges right on the money.
Stihl MS260 Pro, MS261, MS440 x2, MS460, FS90; 1982 Power King 1614

CabinFever

The reason I am purchasing this saw is exactly that, I cut a lot of oak for firewood that is at least 24" or larger.  Thanks for the input guys!

Napoleon1

Go and get it. Then don't look back. It's a good saw.

CR888

If you want dual felling spikes, high output oiler large clutch cover and wrap handle, get the 'R' model. It's a tiny bit more but great value, adds to resale down the track too. That is what I would buy.

AdkStihl

Quote from: CTYank on January 07, 2016, 09:10:54 PM
Rule #1 with any chainsaw: KEEP the cutters sharp. Best way to do that- file it. Chain filing has always been a very valuable skill. Grinding chain nowhere as good, useful for rocked chains.

Whats up John?
Getting ready for the GTG?
J.Miller Photography

pwheel

Quote from: CabinFever on January 08, 2016, 03:57:49 PM...I cut a lot of oak for firewood that is at least 24" or larger...
Well, then go get it.  :) You probably know this already, but don't allow the saw to over-rev when limbing or cutting smaller wood. Wrecks the bottom end bearings sooner than later. Blip the throttle. Clearing crews blow up saws this way all the time.
Stihl MS260 Pro, MS261, MS440 x2, MS460, FS90; 1982 Power King 1614

CabinFever

Nope all this information is great! ill take whatever I can get.  I don't naturally over-rev it up while limbing but is news to me so thanks.

DonnerParty

Quote from: CR888 on January 08, 2016, 05:09:43 PM
If you want dual felling spikes, high output oiler large clutch cover and wrap handle, get the 'R' model. It's a tiny bit more but great value, adds to resale down the track too. That is what I would buy.

I agree. The R model saws are a great value, and the extra options for hand position are very useful with larger saws.

Thank You Sponsors!