iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

LT40 Measurment

Started by KirkD, January 07, 2016, 08:00:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KirkD

I found a 1989 LT40HD I am going to go drag home this weekend and need to know if it will fit on my trailer since the brakes are froze up.
Can someone tell me how wide it is from the outside of the tires so I can make sure it will fit?
I am assuming about 21 or 22' long? it is about 60 miles from me and the owner is not where the saw is so he won't be able to measure it ahead of time.

Thanks
Wood-mizer LT40HD-G24 Year 1989

terrifictimbersllc

I think my LT40 (2001) is 78" wide to outside of tires.  And 26 ft overall length but about 18 from tongue to back of tires. Certainly would fit on a 20' trailer with 6' of the main rail hanging over the back end.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

KirkD

Darn my trailer is 6' 3" between the fenders. I am hoping the older ones were narrower it did not look that wide I should have measured it.

Kbeitz

Maybe you can take the rims off and sit it on the hubs.
Or reverse the rims so they sit in.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

WV Sawmiller

Kirk,

Just brainstorming and may be totally out in left field but could you take the wheels off and load it on a dolly and get it to fit?
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

terrifictimbersllc

You could set it on the jacks which would definitely fit in 6'3".   
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

KirkD

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on January 07, 2016, 08:15:09 PM
Kirk,

Just brainstorming and may be totally out in left field but could you take the wheels off and load it on a dolly and get it to fit?
Ya that would work I may do plan "b" a pull in a favor for a different trailer and just use mine to haul the bed extension and shake attachment on mine.

Percy

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on January 07, 2016, 08:15:47 PM
You could set it on the jacks which would definitely fit in 6'3".
This is a great idea in my opinion.  Be carefull......or buy alla the brake parts, put em on and drag thet puppy home... :D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Ocklawahaboy

I think having the mill set on the outriggers is the safest option, even if you had room for the tires.  You could also take 2 skinny boat trailer tires, which would cut several inches off each side and just put them on to load it. 

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Would BlueCreeper loosen those breaks up? Just asking. :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

KirkD

All great ideas but to many unknowns since it is 50 miles from nowhere and another 50 miles to somewhere I think taking a trailer it will fit on is the best option. And yes jacks down seems to be a good plan. I will send pic's when it gets here.

Thanks guys

Sixacresand

Since the brakes are frozen and it doesn't roll, you will need a winch on your trailer to load it, unless there is equipment there to set it on your trailer.  I can imagine taking a lot of tools, come a longs, boards, chains, etc.  Might be simpler to hire a guy with a rollback. Of course, I most definitely would try to do it myself like you.  Good Luck.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

beenthere

Seems working around the seized brake problem would be the easiest and cheapest work-around.
But wish you the best getting it home.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Darrel

My breaks failed on my 1992 LT40 somewhere around Ashland and I pulled in all the way home in the Roseburg area with my silvardo 2500 and never really missed them. If it were me, I'd just pull the brakes off and tow it home. Would most likely be less work than dragging it up on a trailer on wheels that don't turn.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Nomad

With the way an LT40 is shaped, being so far from the wheels to the tail end, getting it onto a rollback truck might be a problem.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Sixacresand

Nomad, Good point.  The way Tim at WM explained it when I bought mine, the brakes only deploy when  the mill and pulling truck accidently separate at the hitch.  That way you don't have a runaway mill on the highway.  I don't think the brakes deploy in normal stopping.  I might be wrong.  Anyway, there might be a quick way to release the brakes so it can be towed normally.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

red

No the brakes work with a brake control box under the dash of your truck and hopefully when you use your brake pedal
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

red

You can buy a kit that comes with backingplates wheel cyl shoes and brake drums just bolt on and hook up brake line.  But you need to know what size to buy .
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

isawlogs

Not all lt40's have electric brakes....
    Mine came with hydraulic surge brakes wich deploy when the weight of the mill pushes forward when the truck pulling it slows down. I have to put a bar in the brake activator to be able to back up a steep hill or else the weight of the mill pushes the brakes on .
  I would take a trailer to get the mill, if the brakes are locked up, you have no idea of the condition of the wheel bearings. Trailer her home and then you can take care of all the issues one at a time under no stress.  ;) :)
  Pics will be appreciated !!!!! :)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

sandsawmill14

Quote from: Darrel on January 08, 2016, 12:56:53 PM
My breaks failed on my 1992 LT40 somewhere around Ashland and I pulled in all the way home in the Roseburg area with my silvardo 2500 and never really missed them. If it were me, I'd just pull the brakes off and tow it home. Would most likely be less work than dragging it up on a trailer on wheels that don't turn.
x2 i dont have brakes on either mill and have no trouble but i pull them with either a f250 or c3500 so the trucks are heavy enough to handle it :)
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

dean herring

I agree with Darrell take the brakes off.
You sure its the brakes and not the bearings?
Failure is not an option  3D Lumber

GAB

Bearings and brakes are one thing, but based on the age my question is: are the tires capable of doing the trip without failing?
Trailering it home might be the best and safest way to go.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

KirkD

Going to try to tow it back we are thinking since the wheels are off it may be just ice. Today we are in a holding pattern due to ice and freezing rain.

47sawdust

I would be reluctant to tow it if it has sat for years.I bought a 10 year old WM that hadn't moved since new.I towed it 200 miles from CT.to Vermont.When I pulled in to my dooryard the wheel fell off.I was very lucky.For piece of mind I would trailer it.Especially if you are 50 miles from nowhere.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

terrifictimbersllc

Probably better take the safest option now that all the planning has been posted online.   ;)

Thank You Sponsors!