iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

want to build an oversize splitter off of delimber hydraulics

Started by Mountaynman, January 06, 2016, 08:47:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mountaynman

have seen a couple of them in nny and Vermont for splitting oversize pulpwood anyone know specs for cylinder could just wing it but hope someone here might have some ideas thanks in advance
Semi Retired too old and fat to wade thru waist deep snow hand choppin anymore

BargeMonkey

Saw a guy in the Northern Logger a few yrs ago who had one, always thought about trying it. How far outside Ft Plain are you ?

loggah

The bigger the better!! probably a 3" or 4" ram with a cylinder with a 7" or 8" bore and probably 5' minimum length  if you could find one closer to 8' the better. With a shorter cylinder you would need a wedge with a wider back,the 8' pulp would split enough so the log loader colld finish splitting it when it was lifted off the wedge. I had a stick cylinder off a 666 koering excavator i was going to make one out of ,but i got out of logging before i  built it. Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

Mountaynman

When i worked for cat years ago saw several working up north mostly splitting oversize pine for pulp but the one guy said it worked well on hardwood as well

outside cooperstown bub

thinking a main boom cylinder off a big excavator would work

lopet

I am just in the process to gather all the parts for a built.  Got a big double acting telescopic cylinder out of a garbage truck.  Has a 156" stroke and supposed to push 60000 lbs. Found a decent vane pump, a tank and a valve with 3/4 " ports. Hope that will do.
Looking for I beams now.
Just want to quarter my big butt logs so my blockbuster can handle them.

A telescopic cylinder might be a option for you too. 
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

Mountaynman

Thanks bub hadn't thought of that route both our pulp markets r 26" for oversize and no one wants stuff that big in a firewood load gonna be my spring project just gathering info now

BargeMonkey

When you get it built we need some pictures, I get alot of bigger stuff I have a hard time finding a home for. Plumbing off delimber or saw hydraulics ? I've only got 1 set of lines off my loader and have figured I would just have to switch couplings.

Mountaynman

off the limber setup still have a ctr ground saw with the machine don't use it much just loading trailers mostly the limber was removed before I bought it but switch is still on stick and hot to the valve just not sure if we can get it to push enough oil without some mods still trying to find a service manual for it hard now with loggers equip out of business

BargeMonkey

EBAY. I saw manuals for that machine online, I just ordered the books for my delimber, I'm 99% sure you can find them on there. "Heart of dixie" equipment dealer has a few of those loaders down there, they may have a set of books kicking around.

Thank You Sponsors!