iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

mass producing Wedges from 2x4s

Started by LumberDrew, January 06, 2016, 05:56:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LumberDrew

I own a wood stake mill in Northern Colorado.  I have a few upcoming orders for about 100,000 18" wedge stakes cut from 2x4's.  We can certainly cut these on a table saw, RAS, but looking for other options that may be faster and more safe for our guys. 

I picked up an older Straight Line Rip saw.  I have never cut on one, but like the idea of having someone load the saw and someone catching and banding.  Any thoughts on cutting on an angle across the grain, not really a cross cut, but not exactly ripping either. 

Other thoughts?  Bandsaw where I can stack a few at a time and pass them through? Thank you in advance for your thoughts.  I'm getting a little outside of the scope of these machines, don't want to buy a resaw right now.

We will be cutting to length on a package saw, so there will slight variance in the lengths within probably 1/8" either way.

Drew Patterson
Basic Industries
basicstakes.com

beenthere

Welcome to the Forestry Forum.

Is the wedge face the 4" (3½") width of the 2x4?  or is it the thinner 1½" ??
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

beenthere

A straight line rip should work if you rig up some sort of magazine to load each piece between the drive chains. Say have a stack of blocks the right length, and shove the bottom one in the stack forward to be grabbed and held through the saw. Then follow with the next one. etc.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Gearbox

We cut chock blocks for blocking truck wheels out of 8x8 and ran then through a buzz saw on a tractor . They were cut at a 45 . crude but worked well
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

west penn

I have cut orders of 10,000 on my woodmizer.   I made a fixture from 2x6's 12 ft long. spaced far enough apart to fit 3 2x4's on edge supported by pins and blocks to maintain the proper angle with a toggle clamp that clamps through 1 2x6. The fixture needs to be fairly open between the 2x6's to let sawdust to fall through. with 6 stations in 12 feet I could do 18 2x4's (or 36 stakes) in 1 pass. blade height is maintained  along the top edge of the 2x6 fixture.

LumberDrew

Quote from: beenthere on January 06, 2016, 06:07:30 PM
Welcome to the Forestry Forum.

Is the wedge face the 4" (3½") width of the 2x4?  or is it the thinner 1½" ??

The stake will be cut along the 4" face.  In other words, more like a door stop than a shingle. 
Drew Patterson
Basic Industries
basicstakes.com

LumberDrew

Quote from: beenthere on January 06, 2016, 06:17:35 PM
A straight line rip should work if you rig up some sort of magazine to load each piece between the drive chains. Say have a stack of blocks the right length, and shove the bottom one in the stack forward to be grabbed and held through the saw. Then follow with the next one. etc.

What prevents me from loading the corner of the stake to be cut into the machine and having the chain pull it through all the way?  What am I preventing with the addition of the magazine? 
Drew Patterson
Basic Industries
basicstakes.com

Haggis

Off the top of my head I would say a table saw with a jig mounted to it with feather boards holding down the material.

Dan_Shade

Haggis, that setup will cut a cove.   The entire jig needs to slide to cut an angle.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Haggis

Quote from: Dan_Shade on January 07, 2016, 12:58:30 PM
Haggis, that setup will cut a cove.   The entire jig needs to slide to cut an angle.
ah your right didn't think it through. And a sliding jig will be too slow.

beenthere

Quote from: LumberDrew on January 07, 2016, 12:30:40 PM

What prevents me from loading the corner of the stake to be cut into the machine and having the chain pull it through all the way?  What am I preventing with the addition of the magazine?

Preventing misalignment... if that is important at all. If not, then hand feed it.
As I see it, the magazine will align each block the same each time. Unless that is not important.
Feeding that chain is not a simple task, if you have ever done it before. Even aligning a long flitch to be straight-line ripped is a delicate operation to keep it straight until it is grabbed and fed through the machine.
south central Wisconsin

LumberDrew

Quote from: beenthere on January 07, 2016, 02:59:21 PM
Quote from: LumberDrew on January 07, 2016, 12:30:40 PM

Preventing misalignment... if that is important at all. If not, then hand feed it.
As I see it, the magazine will align each block the same each time. Unless that is not important.
Feeding that chain is not a simple task, if you have ever done it before. Even aligning a long flitch to be straight-line ripped is a delicate operation to keep it straight until it is grabbed and fed through the machine.

Understood.  I will let you know what I end up with... Thank you for your feedback. It really is appreciated.
Drew Patterson
Basic Industries
basicstakes.com

LumberDrew

Quote from: west penn on January 06, 2016, 09:18:43 PM
I have cut orders of 10,000 on my woodmizer.   I made a fixture from 2x6's 12 ft long. spaced far enough apart to fit 3 2x4's on edge supported by pins and blocks to maintain the proper angle with a toggle clamp that clamps through 1 2x6. The fixture needs to be fairly open between the 2x6's to let sawdust to fall through. with 6 stations in 12 feet I could do 18 2x4's (or 36 stakes) in 1 pass. blade height is maintained  along the top edge of the 2x6 fixture.

I have seen similar set ups.  What was your production rate... roughly?  Wedges/Hr?
Drew Patterson
Basic Industries
basicstakes.com

beenthere

Curious, how critical is the point end? any blunt tip end allowed?
south central Wisconsin

Just Me

How about a jig made out of plywood that you drop angle cut pieces of 2x in. Kind of a zig zag pattern with the angles you need, with fences on each side of the drops. This would depend on whether the strait line you have will allow you to pick the blade up so you do not cut through the jig. Run through, rinse and repeat.

Larry

beenthere

The straight-line rips I've seen, the blade is under and is raised to the desired height.
south central Wisconsin

LumberDrew

Quote from: beenthere on January 07, 2016, 07:18:04 PM
Curious, how critical is the point end? any blunt tip end allowed?

Its a good question.  I think I actually have more leeway in the length of the actual stake.  Since these have to be driven into the ground, I think the point should probably be a good point.  However, if the length can be slightly off, up to a quarter inch or so, I think I can cut a slightly harder angle across the 2x4. 

This would leave a small flat section before the cut across the 2x4, if that makes any sense.
Drew Patterson
Basic Industries
basicstakes.com

LumberDrew

Quote from: Just Me on January 08, 2016, 08:03:42 AM
How about a jig made out of plywood that you drop angle cut pieces of 2x in. Kind of a zig zag pattern with the angles you need, with fences on each side of the drops. This would depend on whether the strait line you have will allow you to pick the blade up so you do not cut through the jig. Run through, rinse and repeat.

Larry

My SLR does have the blade at the bottom.  Something like that would be pretty awesome though.  We have a couple of gang rips that if we wanted to sacrifice one of them to the cause, we could do this exact thing. 
Drew Patterson
Basic Industries
basicstakes.com

beenthere

Quote, I think the point should probably be a good point.

Then the diagonal cut will have to be pretty precise from corner to corner.. or else one of the two stakes will not have a sharp point.

But then you just have to trim the length to get that point.. I almost missed that. ;)
south central Wisconsin

LumberDrew

Quote from: beenthere on January 08, 2016, 12:01:22 PM
Quote, I think the point should probably be a good point.

Then the diagonal cut will have to be pretty precise from corner to corner.. or else one of the two stakes will not have a sharp point.

But then you just have to trim the length to get that point.. I almost missed that. ;)

I'm more thinking to start the cut slightly below what would be the top of the stake.   Then cut at a sharper angle than I had originally planned.  This should give me the little margin of error I need I think.
Drew Patterson
Basic Industries
basicstakes.com

21incher

I would start with a longer peice so each cut would yield 2 stakes which would save quite a bit of lumber and time. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

LumberDrew

Quote from: 21incher on January 08, 2016, 01:11:18 PM
I would start with a longer peice so each cut would yield 2 stakes which would save quite a bit of lumber and time. :)

Thanks 21incher. You are correct.  At the cost we need to sell and the speed at which we need to manufacture, that is the only way to do it.  The stakes will need to be cut fairly symmetrical in order to get 2 out of the 18" 2x4.  Thank you for your feedback! 
Drew Patterson
Basic Industries
basicstakes.com

John S

West Penn,
How about a photo or drawing of your WM jig!
2018 LT40HDG38 Wide

Brad_bb

This isn't an exact solution, but I thought it might spark an idea.

https://youtu.be/W31l_BLStJ4
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Good video Brad. I've never seen that toy but I like it.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Thank You Sponsors!