iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Refinishing furniture

Started by sawguy21, January 06, 2016, 04:46:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sawguy21

We have an oak ding room set that needs freshening up. Karen wants me to re stain the top and paint the base an off white with the chairs to match. I plan to sand the top with 150 grit then apply the stain topped with a clear sealer. I have never done this but it seems simple enough. Suggestions?
My questions concern the base. Do I need to remove the stain before priming and painting? This would be time consuming due to the design. I have been told I can lightly sand then apply a latex primer that is compatible with the oil base stain which seems odd.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Kbeitz

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

jueston

as long as the previous finish is clean and dry and you scuff it up with some sand paper you should get good adhesion with a primer like kilz stain blocker, then you can put any paint over the top of that.

depending on the condition of the wood you might want to find some filler that matches the wood too, any deep gouges or dents will be easier to fill then to try and sand them all out.

Den-Den

Not what you asked about but I suggest starting the sanding job with more coarse paper than 150 grit, 80 grit on a Random Orbit Sander would work great.  Finish sanding will be much easier once the 80 grit has done the heavy work.
You may think that you can or may think you can't; either way, you are right.

sawguy21

Thanks for the suggestions, I was not aware of stain blocker. What do you suggest I finish sand with? I may be wrong but I understand I don't want a really smooth surface before staining.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

21incher

How about that finish that is stain and poly combined? I think the color would stay fairly even without having to wory about stain soaking into the  old finish. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Dodgy Loner

Quote from: sawguy21 on January 06, 2016, 04:46:25 PM
I have been told I can lightly sand then apply a latex primer that is compatible with the oil base stain which seems odd.

You can apply pretty much any finish to a well-cured oil, oil-based stain, or varnish (note that there is a difference between stain and varnish - if furniture is to be stained, it is usually stained first, then the varnish is applied. Thus you would be painting the varnish, not the stain. I have run into house trim that was stained but not finished, but that's not typical of furniture.). When oil-based finishes cure, they polymerize and essentially turn into a plastic. Oil-based varnish is not oil at all, but an oil cooked with a resin which changes the chemistry of both. But anyway, yes, you should be fine to paint over the finish, but make sure it is clean and roughed-up first with some 150- or 180-grit.

By the way, you shouldn't need to use stain block. Any good quality primer will serve at the base coat.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Texas Ranger

Finale sanding before staining should be at least 220,start coarse and work your way to the finer paper.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Thank You Sponsors!