iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Best time to mill logs

Started by Deep in red cedar, January 05, 2016, 01:16:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deep in red cedar

I'm in need of some advise. I've got a bunch of 8 inch diameter red cedar trees that I'd like to rip down into .750 thick x 4 inch wide boards. Is it best to let the log dry first before ripping it into boards or rip the log when wet, then let the boards dry? I don't have a kiln to dry them, I've been brining them into the house which is 30% moisture and heated to 70 degrees. Problem is they have been warping really bad. Not sure if it's cause the logs are wet, are they drying too fast.....?? Just need some advise. I've also only ripped a few pieces so I'm not sure if it was just that one log that was ugly. Totally new to this.

Thanks

beenthere

Saw the log, and then dry the boards.

Sticker the boards real good... and add weight to the stickered pile.

How close were your stickers when you brought the boards into the house?

And I'd sticker them outside or in the unheated garage/shed.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Deep in red cedar.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Cedarman

Saw the cedar 1/4" wide for those narrow boards. Sticker outside and keep all moisture off.  Some ERC side bends and some does not.  After getting down to 15 18%, you can bring them inside.
If you want your logs to dry, cut the tree down and leave all the limbs on.  Tree will dry slowly in winter and dry much faster in late spring and summer.  Logs can get down to 10 or 12% if you leave the limbs with needles on.  If you delimb, logs will may get down to 25%, maybe 20% at best.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Deep in red cedar

Thanks for all the help. I can see where I went wrong. Of the boards I did do, I didn't sticker them, just laid them out on the floor for about a month. I'll give this a shot on the next round.

Deep in red cedar

Any tips on the best lacquer or polyurethane to use for outdoor? Is there one that holds the true color of the ERC so it doesn't fade to the brown color?

Ianab

Quote from: Deep in red cedar on January 05, 2016, 02:07:58 PM
Thanks for all the help. I can see where I went wrong. Of the boards I did do, I didn't sticker them, just laid them out on the floor for about a month. I'll give this a shot on the next round.

If you just laid them on the floor, the top dries quickly, and shrinks, the bottom doesn't dry. Hence the cupping.

You may be able to save them by stickering them now, and they may return to somewhat flat as the moisture evens out. Cedar is pretty forgiving to dry, but you have to allow air to get to all sides of the wood for it to dry evenly.

Initial drying outside is also a good idea. Means the moisture and volatile acidic chemicals aren't in your house. After maybe a month outside, most of the moisture will be gone from cedar. If it's staying outside it's good to go. If you are using it indoors, ideally you bring it in and let it finish drying on stickers inside for a few more weeks.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Thank You Sponsors!