iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Splitter shopping

Started by yukon cornelius, January 04, 2016, 11:21:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yukon cornelius

I am looking for a new splitter before too long. Anyone have any input on what to look for and especially avoid. It looks like most are set up very similar.
We burn oak and some hickory.
I want two stage pump,biggest tonnage I can afford.
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

red

Does it need to be vertical /horizontal ?
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

yukon cornelius

I prefer horizontal at waist height. I have helped a couple neighbors with theirs. Both are different brands but the Same style setup. Horizontal but will pivot to vertical.

red

Timberwolf is the hd pro type but it is not cheap. A supersplitter is fast with no hydraulics again not cheap . The old school splitter I like is called Lickity Splitter made in 1960 but good design .

stratton

Yukon,I split a couple hundred cords a yr.. I have a splitfire with the lift and the larger supersplit.If time is an issue go with the supersplit.

thechknhwk

We have this one (not my video), and my wife and I can do about a full cord in maybe an hour to an hour and a half.  It's been a while since we split that much at once, but that's my recollection. ;D  I do like it however.  It can easily keep 2 people busy.  In the part of the video where he's splitting the halves one at at time, we stack the halves and split both at the same time if the log size permits.  It could use bigger work tables and a height adjustable front foot, but that's my only gripe.

http://www.woodsplitterdirect.com/20-ton-two-way-great-northern-equipment-log-splitter/

https://youtu.be/JytLSgGcPUk

LittleJohn

OH logger

Quote from: red on January 05, 2016, 12:08:36 AM
The old school splitter I like is called Lickity Splitter made in 1960 but good design .

are you talkin about the lickity log splitter?? they were made pretty close to me . had one when I started and they are AWESOME. should have never sold it :( not many left around here anymore
john

red

Yes designed and made in Ohio . I just read recently the flat hydraulic oil tank can take the weight of the splitter. If there is enough snow you take the tires off and you pull it like a sled.

thecfarm

I think mine is 26 ton. I have split a lot of knotted-narly stuff with it. I like the vert-honz type. When I first got mine,I did not even plan on using the vertical part. Than I got a OWB and all that changed.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

sawguy21

LittleJohn, that is probably overkill for the average home owner  ;D Quite the unit
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

yukon cornelius

Littejohn, that would be perfect except the price! Harbor freight sells a split fire type double cut splitter. I have read several good reviews on it but I am a bit scared to buy harbor freight for a big item such as this.

Anyone have experience with the flywheel type like the DR splitter. I think I prefer hydraulic for longevity of equipment but I am open for other ideas.

red

I think Logrite has an excellent relationship with Super Splitter , you can ask them questions . Many people like the Original maker of flywheel log splitters

york

Albert

kantuckid

IF? you own a tractor, that's a great splitter power set up.
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

47sawdust

I have a Super Splitter and would not go back to hydraulic.I would not recommend the Dr version.You see a lot of them for sale 2nd hand,the SS hardly ever comes up for sale and are gone quick when they do.I have the standard model and have never had a block I couldn't split.I put up 10 cords annually to feed a kitchen stove and a Heathstone Mansfield,all cut to 16'' length.The owners of SS  are top notch people and are great to deal with.The splitter is actually fun to use if you can imagine such a thing.No drinking,drugging or distraction or you will get hurt,it is fast.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

yukon cornelius

I think I have decided on a Dirty Hands hydraulic 22 ton. So many of them look identical but have very subtle differences. Most I looked at have an 11 GPM 2 stage pump but the dirty hands has a 13 GPM. Cycle time 17-18 on most verses 10-11. One more thing I like was a horizontal shaft motor on the dirty hands verses the vertical shaft on the others ( I don't know why I prefer that but I do). Other things i factored in was availibility, shipping cost, service and, parts. Thanks for your advice!

Justify008

Quote from: yukon cornelius on January 08, 2016, 10:28:23 AM
I think I have decided on a Dirty Hands hydraulic 22 ton. So many of them look identical but have very subtle differences. Most I looked at have an 11 GPM 2 stage pump but the dirty hands has a 13 GPM. Cycle time 17-18 on most verses 10-11. One more thing I like was a horizontal shaft motor on the dirty hands verses the vertical shaft on the others ( I don't know why I prefer that but I do). Other things i factored in was availibility, shipping cost, service and, parts. Thanks for your advice!

So far I can say +1 to the dirty hand tools log splitter. I bought one a couple months ago because i Had a bunch of big narly stuff that wouldn't fit in the processor. Between me and my brother split probably 10 cords so far with no problems. Actually there was one while towing it to my brothers the cover for the detent adjustment on the valve must have vibrated off so if you get one I would put a little loctite on the threads of that. Definitely a nice strong splitter and we got it when it was on sale at lowes so it was an awesome deal.

yukon cornelius

I am trying to be patient waiting for a sale but as I swing this maul I get impatient. Luckily my my wife has the money in her hands so we "will wait for a sale" haha!  I have a splitter now but it is unhandy to use. It hooks to my old backhoe and one person runs the valve from the hoe. Is is hard to maneuver around and just a hassle to split just a few at a time. I don't have the time to fix either better so I decided to get a good one and move the other down the road.

thechknhwk

lowes.com says it's $999, what's it usually go on sale for?

yukon cornelius

I have seen them for 799 but I don't know if it was this specific one. I wasn't in the market then. Lowes does have the best price around here on them

thechknhwk

That's a pretty low price for a new splitter.  I saw the $999 and thought maybe I found an online sale price for ya, oh well :D

yukon cornelius

Thanks! I think if I don't see a sale soon I will go on and get it.

yukon cornelius

Around here that is the regular price on all the 20 or 22 tons.

I shopped used ones and most are asking more than I can buy it new for. The best was $800. I just wont spend $800 on a used one when $200 more gets a new one with a warranty.

Slingshot

Just got a mailer from Tractor Supply. Dollar days coming up Jan. 13-17.
Their County-Line 22 ton will be $899 (100.00 off). Horizontal shaft engine,
11gpm pump. I bought one recently at that price and I have farm exempt
for state tax so like paying $840. Good splitter. Good power.

yukon cornelius

I just found out Menards near here has a 22 ton for $799. if the snow melts a bit I may go check it out. Forest king 22 ton.

WoodBurner19

I have the Husky 35 Ton that splits Horizontally & Vertically. I prefer to split Vertically. Never had a problem with
it in the 5 years of owning it. It was $2,000 at Tractor Supply Co. Good Luck!
MS 270 C   MS 461,  Remodeling Contractor, Married, 2 kids, 2004 Dodge Deisel, 2013 4X4 KingQuad, Stihl saws, 35 ton 4way Splitter.

yukon cornelius

After all my searching, my friend told me he wantes to swell his. $200. Itbwas running bad I think it needed a carb kit. Harbor freight had a 6.5 HP motor on sale for $99 and then the cashier gave me 20% off that. It is a direct bolt up and same shaft size. That was easier and almost as cheap as  the carb kit and has a warranty. The original motor has been outside uncovered for a long time and also might have low compression. I should have a good splitter for under $300.

timberlinetree

We put a HF engine on our conveyor and it has worked fine. Congrats on the splitter! 8)
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

yukon cornelius

Thanks! I am happy to get it!

yukon cornelius

Well the motor is on. It was almost a exact bolt up replacement but the shaft was a bit longer. I slid the motor forward and drilled new holes. It started on the very first pull. In 1 hour and 15 minutes since the last post about it I mounted, filled with oil and split a weeks worth of wood for the house. Happy happy day here!

thechknhwk

Congrats, can't beat that.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

yukon cornelius

I split all my pile and cut some more today. It worked well and was very easy on fuel. I made it past the breaking 3 hours and it is always a one pull start. It is the same motor as is on my generac power washer. I only had one mishap with it. The prop leg had a pin in it to keep it in the upright position but it holds nothing. The hitch fell on the top of my foot. My whole foot is black and blue and swollen. I made it the rest of the day on it though. I have lots of split woods and I am happy happy!

Thank You Sponsors!