iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cold Weather Setting for Stihls

Started by rasawing, January 04, 2016, 05:03:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rasawing

My Stihl manual says that for air temperatures below 50 F you are to make a change on the carburetor by removing the cover box and moving that black slide from a "summer" to "winter" position.

Where I live (i.e. the southeast), this is typically not a big deal since rarely am I out sawing at temperatures that cold. But Wednesday I've got a little sawing to do and the temp isn't supposed to get out of the 40's. At that temp, is it worth it to change? 

beenthere

IMO, no.

I don't change mine, and will often saw in the 20's F.

But if you experience problems, then might change it to see if there is a difference.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

bacon

The risk of trying it would be burning the motor up, although it's unlikely. Cold air is more dense which makes the engine run lean. I've never seen a "winter" setting, but I only have one stihl and never use it.

If the adjustment is simply a lever, you'd be silly not to do it.  My friend just HAD to test his new dirt bike before he adjusted the jets and he ended up rebuilding the top end after his first ride...

4x4American

I always change mine on all my Stihls, even my backpack blower.  Not many people know or care about it.  All it does, as far as I can tell, is pull the intake air by the jug to warm it up a bit so it's not getting a brain freeze sucking in cold air.  Just don't forget to change it back when it gets back above 50.  It only take a minute to change it so why not try and make the saw happy?  I always have one of those tuning screw sticks with me when I'm sawing and adjust the carb as needed so if you do that I don't see how you can go wrong.

What saw are you referencing btw?
Boy, back in my day..

rasawing

QuoteWhat saw are you referencing btw?

MS 660

4x4American

Yea it only take 10 seconds on them, just pop off the air filter cover and there's a little black tab you just switch it from the top to the bottom.  You have to tickle it just right to take it out it's not complicated but don't force it.  I just press it from the inside and pull at same time and no problems.
Boy, back in my day..

DaveP

I have been running my 660 with the tab in the down position.  The owners manual shows a snowflake for cold and sun for warm.  I can't find that on my saw.  Where should the tab be for cold weather?
                       DaveP

Dogdad

Live down in Louisiana..I've never heard of this switch.

rasawing

QuoteI have been running my 660 with the tab in the down position.  The owners manual shows a snowflake for cold and sun for warm.  I can't find that on my saw.  Where should the tab be for cold weather?

For the cold weather it should be down.

See p.32 of the manual (or see link below).

http://www.stihlusa.com/WebContent/CMSFileLibrary/instructionmanuals/STIHL-MS-660-Instruction-Manual.pdf

DaveP

DaveP

Thanks RESAWING.  I looked all through the manual but, somehow missed the directions on page 32.   

Davep

Ozarker

The cold-weather setting is to prevent carburetor icing. Pilots will be very familiar with the concept, and are not loathe to use it, for what should be obvious reasons. :)

rasawing

QuoteThanks RESAWING.  I looked all through the manual but, somehow missed the directions on page 32.

If you look in the link I gave, it's p.32 (as numbered in the manual itself, not the pdf page number [which is p.34]).

The heading it is under is "Winter Operation".

DaveP

I looked all through my manual again and it shows the snow flake for cold weather and the sun for warm weather.  Doesn't have anything in it like the link you sent me.  Mine has a slide in the filter cover that moves from one side to the other but the manual doesn't show a picture of it.
               Thanks again.       DaveP

AdkStihl

Quote from: Ozarker on January 06, 2016, 11:14:21 AM
The cold-weather setting is to prevent carburetor icing. Pilots will be very familiar with the concept, and are not loathe to use it, for what should be obvious reasons. :)

That's exactly what its for!
J.Miller Photography

Thank You Sponsors!