iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hit it in a log, whatisit?

Started by Jeff, March 22, 2002, 08:28:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

yea daddy, those is fun. they will even spit circle parts around the mill.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

solidwoods

Probably to late to ask what year it was put in the log (counting rings)?
Wasn't impacted into the tree, no deformation.
What angle of entry into the log?
To late right?
Looks new.
Sure the wood wasn't growing in the socket?
Hang on to it.
The might come back for it.
JIM
Ret. US Army
Kasco II B Band mill
Woodworking since 83
I mill & kiln dry lumber, build custom furniture, artworks, flooring, etc.
If you mill, you'll be interested in some of my work in one way or another.
We ship from our showroom.
N. Central TN.

mhasel

Jeff,

My vote too would have to be for a shotgun slug, given the dimensions however I'm just amazed that it didn't deform somewhat upon hitting the tree!! Makes me want to go out and experiment this weekend now ;D

On your camera side note, do you mind sharing the make and model? I've been looking for some time but can't pull myself away from the flexibility that my 35 and telephoto lenses offer short of spending over a few K's but know that digital is what the future holds.

Enjoy and thanks,
Mike

Bibbyman

Mary nipped the top of one ear and pretty much cut the top off the other.  Looks like a flagpole bracket. We went ahead and cut another board off this face and a slab off'n the other two sides before changing the blade.  Those Wood-Mizer Double Hard blades can really cut metal!
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

AtLast

looks like a maix ball out of a muzzle loader

Jeff

Conduit clamp Bib. Thats gotta hurt. :o

Bibbyman

Oh yea,  now I recognize it.  I wonder if there are more up the same tree?  Probably ran some outdoor lighting up that tree. I'm not sure where this log came from (farm or urban).

You know,  I've heard big mills won't touch urban and yard trees because of the chance of tramp metal.  But we've hit all kinds of things in these walnut logs that have come from all over – some way out into the boonies.  Got a couple of TT loads of walnut logs that came from an 1800-acre farm.  They were full of wire, bullets and deer stand nails. Pretty expensive posts, deer stands and backstops.  

We hit a lone 6d nail in a real nice second cut log last Saturday.  No idea how it got up that high.  Could have been some hunter used a portable stand and tacked a nail in the tree to hang something on.  ???  It came from Manchester, MO. a suburb of St. Louis.   I think it was the only metal we hit in the two TT loads.

Trouble with the forest/yard/urban thing is,  with the population moving out into the country so fast,  the line is blurred.  
Sawing since '94

Jeff

We had a whole run of insulators in logs a couple years ago. The loggers never new they were there. They were in the 2nd and 3rd 8 foot logs in this stand of aspen. Turns out someone had run a powerline using the tree tops as poles to a remote cabin years ago.

Bibbyman

Back before there was even electricity in our area there were phone line ran through the woods from farmhouse to farmhouse. Most were nailed up into trees using blue glass insulators.  Back when Dad was cutting barrel staves, we'd hit phone wire, nails, and such.  I'm sure none of the metal got to the stave mill as the blue stain really shows up in white oak. Plus we cut the bolts in 37" lengths and split them.

Most of the blue glass insulators were broken or lost years earlier - probably shot by squirrel hunters.  I remember seeing a few on the ground where they had fallen before they could be shot.  For sure collector items now.
Sawing since '94

Mesquite Man

I am an avid archer and bow hunter and I can tell you it is ABSOLUTELY not anything to do with archery.  Arrow points are quite light, the heaviest being around 125 grains.  Anything mroe than that and it would not fly at all, even out of the most modern bow.  Blunts are NEVER made out of lead but rather usually rubber.  My vote is for the sabbot at well.

Sitruc
"Mesquite Man"
Curtis O. Seebeck
TimberKing 1220

Tim

Looking at the gashes through the piece, I notice the nice even feed of the carriage through the saw. Compliments on the even hand Jeff.
Eastern White Cedar Shingles

Bibbyman

Hit a porcelain insulator in a very nice walnut log last weekend.  (Also hit nails and bullets in other logs.)

Just nipped the edge and a nail.

Ol' fart farmer could have bought a post for less than a $1.00.  >:(  Instead he chose the tree that made this log.

Sawing since '94

Oregon_Sawyer

You have already been told.  It is 12 guage shotgun Sabot.

I have dealt in guns and reloading equipment for over 30years.  I don't do much with that anymore now that I have my sawmill.

We ran a retail store, reloaded 100's of thousands of pistol ammo.  (Anyone want a commercial reloading machine.  Set up for 45ACP.  Ammo-load, 5000 rounds an hour, $14,000 new price) and taught NRA safety classes for concealed carry permits.

Sawing with a WM since 98. LT 70 42hp Kubota walk behind. 518 Skidder. Ramey Log Loader. Serious part-timer. Western Red Cedar and Doug Fir.  Teamster Truck Driver 4 days a week.

Bibbyman

Yea,  I got that O_S.   ;)

I'z just using this thread to post more junk that has been hit in logs rather than start a new thread. I like to conserve and re-cycle, you know.  

I've reloaded ammo for myself for many years.  Got a Dillon and Lymen press and a couple of Lee "nut cracker" reloaders. Cast my own bullets for handgun and buffalo rifles. Not been shooting much since we got into the sawmill business.  No time.  Been killing deer out of the same box of ammo for the past 5 or more years.
Sawing since '94

OneWithWood

Bibby, how do you get them deer into the box?  :D
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Bibbyman

:D  :D  :D

I wrote a funny!  ::)
Sawing since '94

Oregon_Sawyer

Bibbyman:

I have two Dillon 1050's that I won't sell.  I've hardly loaded any ammo this year.

About a month ago my oldest daughter (22) said she hadn't shot her 357 since she got married. (It was her 16th birthday present)  So I dug out one of mine and some ammo.  My other daughters (15 & 13) said they wanted to shoot  too.   We were out at our property where we are building our new house.  They lined up to shoot.  I stopped them.  They said "We are being safe just like you taught us"! >:(  I agreed but told them there was a new way to practice.

First:  Safely point the gun where you are going to shoot.
Second:  Yell out the following "You are trespassing on private property"
Third:  Shoot multiple times (BANG, BANG, BANG) :o :o
Fourth:  Reload and repeat! :D

8) 8) 8)
Sawing with a WM since 98. LT 70 42hp Kubota walk behind. 518 Skidder. Ramey Log Loader. Serious part-timer. Western Red Cedar and Doug Fir.  Teamster Truck Driver 4 days a week.

Bibbyman

I don't remember the model number of my Dillon.  It's one of the earlier models.  After I got mine,  they came out with some great improvements - like the blocks you put your dies in and then can just swap out the blocks.  Takes about a half hour of adjusting to change out calibers on the model I have.  I had it set up for 45ACP most of the time and used the old Lymen press for everything else.

I got my son a Lee nutcracker setup so he could reload his 7mm and 357 ammo in the apartment he was staying.  Got to using it and bought one for myself to load a few rounds now and then.  Then I got to where I'd set in front of the TV and use it to load pistol ammo.  
Sawing since '94

Oregon_Sawyer

I think the Dillon you have is the 450.  You can upgrade it but, I would just buy a new one either the 500 or 550 depending on what you are loading.
It would work great to leave it for one caliber.  Have you put a new powder measure on it or are you using the old one?  If you are using the old one upgrade to the new powder measure itsa big improvement.

I have a Lee nutcracker setup also. I used to use it to deprime and resize when I was watching TV.

Now I'm on my laptop.

What powder are you using for your 45?  I use Clays.  It worked the best for matching the Police Department duty load.  It also had less flash for night shooting.

Bibbyman

Got in a TT load of cherry logs yesterday.  The hauler was kind enough to point out the heads of 3 RR tie spikes in the largest one.

Not a good picture day.  Been overcast and dizmal all day.
Sawing since '94

tnlogger

bibby looks like you'll have some lokking and digging to do on that load
gene

Back40x2

My guess is either a .410 slug, or a slug used in one of those homemade guns to kill animals in slaughter houses????
My JD 4120 Loader/Hoe/fransgard winch, a 10,000 pound Warn winch, STIHL 460,  Timberking 1600,  Lots of logs, a shotgun, rifle, my German Shorthaired Pointers and a 4-wheel drive, is all this Maine boy needs to survive!! Oh Yeah, and my WIFE!!!!!!

Husky

Guess there arn't too many hunters out there it a 12 gauge slug from a shot gun. It probably a Winchester and its staight lead.

Tom

I probably wouldn't know a slug if I saw it.  We throw whole handfuls of stuff when we pop a 12 gauge cap down here. We don't grow much that 's so big we need hit it with a solid ounce of lead.......'ceptin' maybe the skeeters. :D

Kirk_Allen

As has been stated, IT IS A Sabot Slug from a 12 or 20 gauge shotgun. 

Jeff, how deep in the log was it?  If it was shot within 175 yards most of the time it will mushroom.  If it was a wild shot that lost most of its energy it will penetrate a shallow distance into a tree but wont mushroom.  It all depends on how much velocity it had at the time of impact.

I have reloaded all my ammo for about 20 years now.  I have worked up a load for my 220 Swift that is wicked on the coyotes ;D  Busted on last week from about 400 yards from my front porch ;D  I love living in the country!

OS, what kind of deal you offering on the commercial reloader?

Thank You Sponsors!