iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawmill video with Go Pro

Started by highway, January 04, 2016, 11:51:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

highway

Happy New Year everyone,

My daughter gave me a new Go Pro camera for Christmas and I had to try it out on the sawmill. I had some fun while milling out pine for my new machine shed project. My sawing buddy Kodi, (English Springer Spaniel) enjoys barking at the mill and picking up pieces of slab wood for me to throw  :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbGSDQPbh98
2006 Woodmizer LT 40 Hydraulic, Kubota M4900 4WD, Kawasaki Mule, Team of Belgian Drafts for real horse power
www.fletcher-farm.com

kelLOGg

Quote from: highway on January 04, 2016, 11:51:07 AM
My sawing buddy Kodi, (English Springer Spaniel) enjoys barking at the mill and picking up pieces of slab wood for me to throw  :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbGSDQPbh98

One more good reason to have a sawmill ;D
Nice video, too.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Ohio_Bill

Great Job on the video.  I had never watched a Norwood before, very nice mill . I was impressed with the hydraulics.
Bill
USAF Veteran  C141 Loadmaster
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

beenthere

Thanks for the video. Was the GoPro on wide angle FOV (field of view) or medium? Doesn't seem to have the fish eye view that I get on mine, and wondered if I need to go to medium view.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

roger 4400

Nice video Ed , your helpers seems very happy helping you :D
Baker 18hd sawmill, massey Ferguson 1643, Farmi winch, mini forwarder, Honda foreman 400, f-250, many wood working tools, 200 acres wooden lots,6 kids and a lovely and a comprehensive wife...and now a Metavic 1150 m14 log loader so my tractor is a forwarder now

Tom the Sawyer

highway,

Very nicely done video, especially the different angles.  Did you use the GoPro Studio for editing or another program?

I just got a GoPro Hero4 Silver but haven't had a chance to try it out yet.  It'll seem strange not having a zoom.  Field of view choices are limited by the resolution you are using.  Apparently, they are very picky about the speed of the micro SD cards too. 
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

samandothers

Enjoyed the video.  I like the sawdust discharge in on the opposite side from the operator.

dgdrls

highway

Quote from: beenthere on January 04, 2016, 03:03:20 PM
Thanks for the video. Was the GoPro on wide angle FOV (field of view) or medium? Doesn't seem to have the fish eye view that I get on mine, and wondered if I need to go to medium view.

I am using a Hero plus model. Fixed wide angle lens on the unit.
2006 Woodmizer LT 40 Hydraulic, Kubota M4900 4WD, Kawasaki Mule, Team of Belgian Drafts for real horse power
www.fletcher-farm.com

highway

Quote from: Tom the Sawyer on January 04, 2016, 03:21:22 PM
highway,

Very nicely done video, especially the different angles.  Did you use the GoPro Studio for editing or another program?

I just got a GoPro Hero4 Silver but haven't had a chance to try it out yet.  It'll seem strange not having a zoom.  Field of view choices are limited by the resolution you are using.  Apparently, they are very picky about the speed of the micro SD cards too.

I use the Microsoft movie maker. I found the Go Pro program difficult to use and was limited in its editing options

Ed
www.fletcher-farm.com

tburch

Great job on the video Ed!  I noticed you weren't using the drag-back feature.  Was that because of the location of your slab and good stock piles?   What kind of wood was that? 
Peterson 10" WPF with slabber. Cooks AC36 Diesel.
'94 Ford 4830 Diesel 2WD & FEL.  Norse 450 skid winch.  Logrite fetching arch.  Fransgard Forestry Grapple.

Wallee

Quote from: samandothers on January 04, 2016, 06:28:37 PM
Enjoyed the video.  I like the sawdust discharge in on the opposite side from the operator.
yeah Im thinking the same thing. Maybe woodmizer should look at this lol. I sometimes feel like Im dodging mini mountains of sawdust.
Lt28 Woodmizer, International 3514 wheel loader, husqvarna 450,455 rancher, and 372xp saws, 1990 international 4700 log truck, Prentice 180b knuckleboom!

highway

Quote from: tburch on January 05, 2016, 12:34:31 PM
Great job on the video Ed!  I noticed you weren't using the drag-back feature.  Was that because of the location of your slab and good stock piles?   What kind of wood was that?

I was offloading slabs to the right of the mill and offloading the lumber to a trailer at the end of the Mill ( See Photo Below),  This seem to work well for me. This is White Pine I skidded out of the woodlot with my team of Belgians.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrNwttZS0C0

www.fletcher-farm.com

tburch

What a peaceful way to collect logs!
Peterson 10" WPF with slabber. Cooks AC36 Diesel.
'94 Ford 4830 Diesel 2WD & FEL.  Norse 450 skid winch.  Logrite fetching arch.  Fransgard Forestry Grapple.

Percy

Quote from: tburch on January 06, 2016, 09:54:21 AM
What a peaceful way to collect logs!
I agree!! 2 horsepower...and they look like they know what they are doing.....and that dog is priceless :D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

beenthere

You learned how to use and edit video very fast with the new GoPro. Fun to watch the horses work, the dog keeping everyone in line, and you logging. smiley_thumbsup
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Chuck White

Nice video, I like the mill, and the team.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Stephen1

Great video's I really like that you can work the logs from the ground control the horsepower so to speak, remote control, then when your ready to head home, climb up in the seat and away you go.  8)
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

edkemper

It looks easy when you watch a professional. Nice horses and great training. The dog is the perfect partner.
Old Man

teed

Nice videos and god work white the videos
On my homestead, I mill with.
Logosol B1001 bandsaw mill
Woodland mill HM122 bandsaw mill
Logosol F2 with Speedsaw E5 chainsaw mill
Logosol Farmers with Stihl MS391 and MS661

tmbrcruiser

Great video, made wish I had a team and the dog too! Anyone can see you love your animals and they are happy to be in the woods with you.
Once you get sap in your veins, you will always have sawdust in your pockets.

Magicman

That was a very nice Norwood video.  (I liked the horses too.)   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

grweldon

I've never seen horses at work like that!  Very interesting.  Does it seem that they "like" to work... you know, kind of like when you know a dog "likes" to hunt?
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

cutterboy

Great job with the videos. Norwood certainly has come a long way since the Lumbermate 2000. Back when I bought mine in 2001 they only made manual mills. However, they were great mills and after 15 years mine is still a great mill.
highway, how do you like your mill? It seems to saw well in the video. Do you have any problems with all that hydraulic stuff?
Your horses are beautiful and the dog is a hoot. He's going to wear out his tail. :D
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

petefrom bearswamp

always a joy and extreme pleasure to watch a fine team and an excellent horseman at work.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

51cub

I liked that, thank you. I had to watch once for the mill, and once for the dogs. I have to go back and watch the horses, now

Edit: Thank you for that one, too. I admit to not knowing about horses, but they surprise me how willing they are to back up. I also get a kick out of they don't seem bothered by the dog, and that is one industrious dog
I believe in the hereafter, because every time I take two steps into the tool crib to get something I wonder " what did I come in here after"

If nothing else I'm always a good last resort or the guy to hold up as a bad example

highway

Quote from: cutterboy on January 14, 2016, 08:37:26 PM
Great job with the videos. Norwood certainly has come a long way since the Lumbermate 2000. Back when I bought mine in 2001 they only made manual mills. However, they were great mills and after 15 years mine is still a great mill.
highway, how do you like your mill? It seems to saw well in the video. Do you have any problems with all that hydraulic stuff?
Your horses are beautiful and the dog is a hoot. He's going to wear out his tail. :D

I have not had any issues with the hydraulics. This is my first mill and I am glad I went with them. The mill works fine, a couple of things I would add to it like a setworks option would be awesome.

Ed
www.fletcher-farm.com

Thank You Sponsors!