iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

old saws

Started by james, October 11, 2004, 05:16:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

james

wish i had pics  :(
 :P dad had an old two man saw with a 96"bar and a big 2 cyl motor  it was green i remember that much. the instructions called for a 20:1 mix using 30wt non detergent motor oil also used motor oil on the bar i think the thing musta been 50 lbs  :o he traided it to a neighbor for a wheelboro
when i was 5  knowing dad it probably was about to die he never got rid of anything that was working ;D

Chris J

Hi, James.  Sounds like you might be describing a Diston (spelling?) or a Mall.  Have you tried Chain Saw Collectors Corner (acresinternet.com)?

Later, MN
Certified Amateur Chainsaw Tinkerer.  If sucess is built on failure, then one day I'll live on the top of Mt. Everest.

Jeff

Saw these that looked "outta da box" at paul bunyan.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Chris J

Thanks, Jeff, for the photos. Those old saws look like they've never been gassed up.  Had they been restored, or were they never or barely used?  Thanks.

MN
Certified Amateur Chainsaw Tinkerer.  If sucess is built on failure, then one day I'll live on the top of Mt. Everest.

james

:)thanx  MN
shure looks like that old disston never did see him run it tho :'( :'(  jim

Tom

How's this for a working saw? :)

Chris J

I was watching a two-man Disston on eBay; I forget the model #, but it was 12HP twin cylinder model.  The price was looking good, but the bidding in the last few minutes drove the price out of my reach.  BTW-What does that working saw weigh?  Hope that you don't have to carry it too far into the woods, or climb with it :D.

Thanks, MN

Jeff

Couldn't resist this for a ten dollar bill. Got good compression for a one armed guy anyhow. Bet Chet can get it running. ;D Even has the original owners manual which is really cool to read. Gives instructions for building cabins and bridges and such with your "New Wright saw" :)

redpowerd

cool, looks like a grandaddy sawzall!
how thin is the kerf? looks thicker than a chainsaw.
pretty cool!
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

Jeff

Not really, manual says 3/16 ths

Bro. Noble

Someone ought to be manufacturing something like that now for log builders and timberframers.  They weren't as fast as a chainsaw,  but made a really smooth cut.

I bought a new Wright chainsaw in the early 70's.  It was a little more modern looking than your saw,  but they made it with the reciprecating blade too.  I'll bet they made chainsaws with the same head as yours too.

That was a good find and a good buy 8)
milking and logging and sawing and milking

redpowerd

yep, id give twenty, runnin or not, just to take it apart and put it together again ;D must have a little pitman arm running the recip?
looks like it could really shake the snot outta ya if yer not payin attention! ;D

be pretty handy to swap a bar onto it for the woods, then the blade for around the house ;D
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD

Jeff

I was looking on Mike Acres site and the newer models that Noble was talking about could be ordered with a "Meat" blade.

Mine was made from 1960 and discontinued in 62. That makes it the same vintage as me. :D

Bro. Noble

The heads weren't interchangable for the chainsaw and the recrip blade I don't believe,  but they must have used a lot of the same parts.

Used to know a coustom butcher that would use achainsaw to split carcasses.  He used vegetable oil on the bar.  Don't know how he got it cleaned up and sanitized-----or if he even tried :o :-/
milking and logging and sawing and milking

redpowerd

talking of meat saws made me dig thru the basement to find this odd looking electric saw that i and a few others think may have been a meat saw.
its called a 6 1/4" clutch saw. looks very much like a skil saw, with a handle and hand guard where the fence addjustment would be on a skill saw. the bar goes straight down, if you hold it like a skil. if holding like a chainsaw, feels left handed.
anyway, theres no way to oil the chain, and it appears to be make of kitchen type stainless, thats what makes us think its a meat cutter.

mabie its on mikes site ???
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD

Silverback

Sounds like a meat saw. Although most modern ones are pneumatic (I worked in a meat packing plant in MN for a year).
Live Life.  And to borrow NEW HAMPSHIRE's motto: live free or die.

weimedog

I kind of like blending hobbie with necessity. We are heating with wood and building stalls, fences, etc. with lumber off our place.....I discovered bringing old saws back to life and putting them to work is really fun for me...and it helps push along those things that NEED to be done.

(I do Keep the Husky around for backup)

Primary saws?

Homelite XL800 w/20in bar is a cutting ANIMAL as compared to the Husky!
Homelite XL925 w/ 28in bar (No. 1 saw)

Those saws cut really well and do 90 percent of what I have done this last month and plan to do in the future.

The other saws in use are:
A McCulloch 797 is my milling saw. (over 200ft of 25"-30" inch wide planks and counting)
A Homelite XL-1020 is my blocking saw. Just easier than taking apart the mill to block.

The Husqvarna 365 stays in the truck to make certain work actually  gets done! (should something fail.)

I guess its amazing to me how well those oldie but goldies cut even relative to the new saws! I don't lose any time to the new saws with those 82cc Homelites..

As far as motorsports are concerned...bringing an old Homelite back to life is way cheaper AND more practical than bringing one of my old Dirt Bikes back...same level of mechanical satisfaction but the wood helps the household!

Hopefully there will be enough interest in the future to entice aftermarket airfilters, carb kits & the like. (As there is with motorcycles)

Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

DonE911

I have an old 66 super whiz in the shed that my grandfather used to clear our property back in the day...Don't recall xactly but its got at least a 36" bar on it.  I had it running about 10 years ago, but the entire starter recoil is missing... aint no fun to hand wrap the starter rope for every pull...  my electric drill back then wouldn't turn it over but I bet my impact wrench would.....  hmmmmmm  

This old saw post made me think of that old boy...  are parts still available for them?? I guess I should check ebay...  I would like to get it running again...

weimedog

Actually there are parts available for those old saws. A couple of folks who frequent eBay also are good sources of parts...and they know each other. For example "Randy's Engine Repair 937-927-5665" is a frequent seller of old parts. When he didn't have a part I was looking for he refered me to a local guy who has TON's (and I do mean ton's) of new-old-stock parts for McCulloch's and Homelites. I have not had a problem since. Also eBay tends to be a good source if you have the time.
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

sawguy21

Speaking of old Disston's, I have one that was converted to drive a fire pump. The B.C. Forest Service used them into the 80's. It's a basket case but it's FREE. Just pay the shipping.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Lewis Brander

To Jeff B. On the picture of the old Disston, model D0-101, who has that saw. In the picture it shows the engine decals. I've been looking for those decals for my saw, that I've restored to running condition and have painted. Just need the engine decals to finish her up and need a source for them. Any help you could provide to locate those decals would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. lonebear30.
My hobby is restoring old saw. Just because it's old, doesn't mean she can't run and look good again. Take care. Lewis Brander.

Ianab

Maybe a good signwriter could make you a replacement set of decals cut from stick-on vinyl?  So long as they have a similar font they can draw them up on computer and cut them out in a couple of minutes. Wont be the 'Genuine Originals' but will look OK if the real ones aren't available.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Lewis Brander

To lanab. I have a fellow who will do the decals if I can find a decent source to copy them from. I've contacted Disston Precisions and also the Tacony Historical Society, looking for any representation of those decals. No luck. A friend in Mich. has some Disstons with the decals on them, but they are too far gone to try to copy from a photogragh. Just seems that they should be at least one decal to scrounge up from somewhere to make a copy from. lonebear30.
My hobby is restoring old saw. Just because it's old, doesn't mean she can't run and look good again. Take care. Lewis Brander.

Jeff

lonebear30, I didn't get the fellers name I am sorry to say. The only way I can figure on tracking him down is to try to contact the people who put on the paul bunyan show in nelsonville and ask about the exibitors. Maybe they can figure out who he was as he was an exibitor.

Lewis Brander

Jeff, that would be really appreciated if you could find out who had that saw. Would really like to get a good representation of that decal, if it is available, or might try to get some from him if he has them reproduced and has extras. Thanks. lonebear30.

Thank You Sponsors!