iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

logging for small sawmill

Started by jmouton, January 03, 2016, 07:09:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmouton

we run our sawmill from log s we buy off of people ,  well  we had a phone call to come see if we wanted some pine ,oak,hickory and elm ,, we said sure how much ,,  well  the trees were still standing ,,we went there  , and it was close to home  so we bought 50 pines , 2 hickorys ,2 elms , and 6 , 30 inch plus oaks red and white ,,, and we got them for a good deal  ,,we are in the process of cutting them down,  got everything down except  5 of the oaks  they are about  a half mile back in the woods ,,  fun dragging them for sure ,,    i tell you what ,  running a chainsaw all day is not fun,  but dragging the trees out is cuz we get to see what we worked so hard for , we figure we got about 10,000 bd ft of pine ,,and about 7,000 bd ft of oak  so it is a good day,  until  out  80 hp tractor  broke ,  the throwout bearing went ,,  so no more dragging trees  or loading them off our landing in the middle of the woods,   all in all it was a good experience so far ,,and a good price for them too,,
i just thought i would share that story with y all ,,more to come ,

jim

lt-40 wide ,,bobcat,sterling tandem flatbed log truck,10 ton trailer, stihl 075,041,029,066,and a 2017 f-350,oh and an edger

customsawyer

I bet you sleep good tonight as long as you don't get some cramps.  ;D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

starmac

I have been kicking around somewhat the same idea, except I would have to buy a logging sale and it will require a sizable investment of equipment to do so.
Minimum of a loader, skidder and dozer, the dozer could possinly be rented, but all the rental outfits here, specify NO logging.
Two others and I are kicking some ideas to log an a somewhat small scale, but we will have to sell timber to the mill to make it feasible.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

jmouton

we didnt do any cutting today,,  went shooting instead,,  tractor broke sat afternoon,,and yes jake we are some sore puppys ,,,
lt-40 wide ,,bobcat,sterling tandem flatbed log truck,10 ton trailer, stihl 075,041,029,066,and a 2017 f-350,oh and an edger

Ohio_Bill

I have a small sawmill operation also. Have had trouble competing for logs from loggers, the big mills have more clout. So I became a logger also to feed the mill and sell the better logs to the big mills. I am very blessed to have some timber myself and neighbors that sell there timber to me. Over the years I have collected some old logging equipment, Skidder, Loader, Log truck and Grapple trailer. When you have older equipment you also get to be a mechanic. 

Bill
USAF Veteran  C141 Loadmaster
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

CCC4

Ohio_Bill, nice sawmill! Looks like an LT50 Super Hydraulic, I love that model, just enough bells and whistles to get a decent enough production w/o having to hire help. I have sawn on the LT40's but really liked the little Cat motor on the LT50.

jmouton

is that a  910 or a 920 cat ,,,  either or  we are looking for one of those  eventually ,   we need one that picks up bigger logs  and unload  and load trucks ,,,and your right  ,you do become your own mechanic,, i would love to get a skidder , but ill settle for a loader ,,,

jim

Ohio_Bill

Quote from: jmouton on January 04, 2016, 09:22:43 PM
is that a  910 or a 920 cat ,,,  either or  we are looking for one of those  eventually ,   we need one that picks up bigger logs  and unload  and load trucks ,,,and your right  ,you do become your own mechanic,, i would love to get a skidder , but ill settle for a loader ,,,

jim

Not a Cat, similar in size to a 910 I think . It is a Allis Chalmers 840 . 60 hp perkins  with clark 3 speed  28000 transmission . weighs about 13000 and has a tipping wt of 7500. Seems to be a good size loader for me . I think a Case W14 would be about the same size also .
Bill
USAF Veteran  C141 Loadmaster
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

Loesshillslogging

Quote from: customsawyer on January 03, 2016, 07:17:59 PM
I bet you sleep good tonight as long as you don't get some cramps.  ;D

I bet you slept too! Haha!

Great post on the idea of a start up getting a little bigger - the American way!

Happy New Year everyone, be safe and Gods speed.

TH

Ada C. Lore

Are you interested in selling any of the white oak?

jmouton

no i am not interested in selling any of our wood unless it is in board form   sorry,,  we sell to much for trailer decking ,, but thanks for asking anyway..

jim

sandsawmill14

hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

Thank You Sponsors!