iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

timberjack 230A forwarder

Started by ehp, January 03, 2016, 06:08:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ehp

Can any of you tell me about this type of machine, its got the big 66 inch wide tires on it . Its a 1998 machine , what good about this type , whats bad about this type as I know nothing on this, Its got the 4bta motor , How fast is first gear ?, how fast is top gear , its got the double bunk setup on it so I guess that's 16 foot of deck . I have not seen it in person and its about a 7 hour drive north so would like to know more about these machines before I drive that far , how strong is the loader

BargeMonkey

There's a promo video of the 230A on youtube. They came thru with a couple different loaders, I have a Serco 4000 which doesn't extend, doesn't have much reach but if you can grab it she will pick it. 

ehp

by pictures I cannot tell what loader is on it  but I donot think its got the extend on it . I'm wondering how strong it will be to lift the load off in first , How are those big tires for getting around , I'm on pretty much flat ground and I think it comes with a set of chains , How do these tires stand up to wear and tear , how about driving down the paved road

BargeMonkey

My machine is a straight 230-1989 so just before the 230A. I've got no complaint about the serco loader, just have to stay on top of the boom hoses. Loader has picked 99% of everything I've tried, she will start to tip before the loader quits. I have a long bunk, with 23.1 tires. Personally if I had a touch more power 28L tires would be nicer, less rut and a little more stable. I get 2k ft or about 3.5 cord per drag, all depends on the wood. The 230A is nice because you've got the pedals in the back, can run backwards. Search youtube, I know they had a real decent video from Jack on the 230A. I have 1 set of ice trygg for mine, I've put them on 2x in 3yrs. Mine gets used on alot of these private road woodlots I cut, where I can't get the truck in easy, keep her parked next to the slasher, load her up and run it out and stack roadside. I've had good luck with "timberparts" for parts and filters, they had a pump sitting on the shelf when I called. I watch the equipment market pretty close, see less and less decent small forwarders for reasonable money.

ehp

this machine has 66 by 43.00 -26 tires on it , Wondering how the 4bt is for power to lift the load in first gear

ehp

depends on weather but might head north tomorrow afternoon and look at it Monday morning, its raining here right now

ehp

and got a few other pictures , it does have ext. boom on it by how the hoses look

bushmechanic

If it's a 1998 it should be a 610 not a 230A. Different axles and a more juiced up hydraulic system. If it has the extension on the loader that should be a loglift loader, really strong and trouble free with the exception of a few seal kits for the cylinders. The 4BT Cummins is a great engine and powers the machine pretty good but it's under powered for speed of travelling. The floatation tires are ok but we found the 30.5's better and less expensive. All in all they are reliable machines. 

Ken

They are a tough machine.  As was mentioned the 4BT is a great engine just not overly powerful when travelling especially with the wide tires.   As long as the machine has not been abused it would suit your needs quite nicely.  Below is a picture of the 1999 6 TJ 610 that I used for four years before selling it last spring.  It had over 30K hours and worked everyday.

Lots of toys for working in the bush

ehp

thanks guys . Ken this machine looks just like yours just wider tires . As far as more power that's pretty easy for me as I got a real good pump injector place an hour from me , they do all the warranty work for Cummings . Have used these guys for over 20 years . Are these the same style clutch design as my 230A skidder as that's the weak link when it comes to making more power

ehp

Im heading north in a couple hours to see it tomorrow morning , its to be about 0 degrees so will get to see how it starts in cold weather and work, I know my skidder will start at 30 below which sometimes I wish it did not as I'm getting older and 30 below just does not sound like fun as it once did

ehp

you guys could be right , I just looked at the pictures and donot see 230A anywhere on the machine but he said it was a 230A , It looks just like Ken's

ehp

Yes its a 610 not a 230A, in better shape than what the pictures . Only things I see wrong are both blade cylinders need to be packed, the 1 tire has a chuck out of the side but most likely would last a long time , tires are about 75%, the shifter part that makes machine go from high to low range is missing , was told the owner took it out so no one could drive it in high range , couple lights are not working but that's about it , was -27 there this morning and the batteries were junk so they put new batteries in at , hit the glow plugs and it started like it was summer out . I was surprised at that , it was like nothing . So saying that I think I bought it now just got to get it floated down here , machine is 12 feet wide with those floation tires on it

ehp

here it is 

, Wifes first time up north this far and in this cold

ehp

tried to upload another picture but no luck

barbender

Looks like a nice machine ;)
Too many irons in the fire

ehp

Ya I think the wife had on 2 coats and a sweater , she is not planning on going any further north from what I was told  ;D

ehp

finally got picture to upload , here is other side , and comes with 1 set of rings chains to fit these tires 

lopet

Taking the tires off on the float ? Or how are you gonna get it to your place ?
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

ehp

their moving it , taking the tires off will not help much , the rack is almost the same width and the blade , their getting a back haul lined up out of Toronto so their loaded both ways

BargeMonkey

That's a nice looking machine. My 230 is 9'3" to the tires and 10'3" to the bunks, with 23.1 tires. I still can't believe the price you paid on that processor, I wheel and deal equipment and that's an unheard of deal down here. See alot of real nice iron going cheap north of the border right now.

ehp

I think I got a pretty good deal on this as well , I see you guys most likely would of paid at least $45,000 or higher on something like this and by looking around everywhere I'm thinking closer to $55,000 , I got it for quite abit less than that then change to our dollar which hit .6997 yesterday , that sucks huge . That is one thing you guys need to think about , whatever you can buy something up here for times that price by .70 to change it to your money . Pretty soon I can see a loaf of bread costing $5 up here , the only good thing is going to be selling veneer to the states and with our dollar being so bad we should be able to move our lumber on the world market

grassfed

Quotethe only good thing is going to be selling veneer to the states and with our dollar being so bad we should be able to move our lumber on the world market

Softwood saw logs that I sold to Canadian mills for $350 per thousand last year would cost $470 this year in loonies.

All of the mills are in Canada because your government wisely supports industry.

The (republican and democrats) in this country parasitically destroy our industry and hide it from the voters with a strong dollar.

If this keeps up we will not be able to buy or sell equipment because we will not be able to make any money with the equipment.
Mike

timberlinetree

Congratulations 8) That looks to be in really nice shape! This dollars thing doesn't seem good!
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

ehp

Thanks , I hope it gets here later this week, I might need it as its raining pretty good . Until I get to use it for a couple days who knows what is truly wrong if anything with it but it is in pretty nice shape , guy that own it sure took good care of it

Thank You Sponsors!